Dog Insurance

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Do most people have pet insurance for their greyhounds? What does a normal plan cover? I'm a little intimidated about choosing a plan for Ernie and don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

There are LOTS of threads regarding insurance here. Go ahead and peruse them. But I think in a nutshell the best liked are:

Healthy Paws
Trupanion

Embrace

and I think Pet Plan?! (Not sure about this one).

Stay away from VPI and a few others.

The first three listed give you a plethura of choices to fit your budget. I prefer to pay higher premiums now and not get hit with any vet bills later. I also prefer a yearly deductible vs a per incident deductible. I have two with Healthy Paws and my monthly payment is $94. (total). I have a $100 yearly deductible and a 90% pay of the vet bill. One girl is 9 and has had several vet visits over the 8 yrs I've had her so she's staying with VPI. They work off a schedule which once was excellent but is now old and archaic. Last big surgery they paid barely 25% of the cost. So two of my three moved to Healthy Paws.

But I advise you still look thru the other threads because there's a lot more info than just here. just do a search on Insurance.

And personally I'll never go without it. I think most companies cringe when they see my name!

Avoid ASPCA's insurance. Too many ways they worked in pre-existing conditions & too little reimbursement on what they did cover.

HealthyPaws has been good for us. Pay about $90/mo for two dogs, approx $45/dog. Have a $50 annual deductible per dog with 90% paid after that. HP doesn't cover exam fee or wellness items like vaccines, flea control or HW prevention. Nor would they cover spay/neuter. However, I've had to make multiple claims & they've been excellent every time. What HP paid out on my boy's broken toe earlier this year & an a brief illness the year before was more than enough to cover two years of premiums. Have not had to make a claim on the girl so I've still paid them more than they've paid me. Still I consider it worth it for me & my situation.

Do most people have pet insurance for their greyhounds? What does a normal plan cover? I'm a little intimidated about choosing a plan for Ernie and don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

I am happy with Embrace and my advice is not to wait to buy for Ernie, if you do plan on buying some.

Do it before preexisting conditions start accumulating.

We like Trupanion, but I've been hearing good things about Healthy Paws. Trupanion's deductible (if you choose to have one) is per-incident, where Healthy Paws has a per-year deductible. Trupanion covers 90% of everything that isn't "preexisting." Exam fees aren't covered. Dentals aren't covered, except extractions due to periodontal disease (I think). Don't think alternative therapies are covered. They send checks quickly and keep you updated during claims processing. It's fairly straightforward once the dog is enrolled.

You want to get insurance before things start to go wrong.

Embrace here but rate increases annually have been quite large. Considering changing to Healthy Paws for my younger dog. Have had insurance on my 8 year o,d for four years with no incidents until a few months ago when he developed an eye ulcer. One e-vet visit, five trips to the regular vet and then a trip to an ophthamologist for a small surgical procedure which all totaled nearly $2000. My out of pocket was about $500 with my plan. This means I'm breaking even at this point for the four years I've paid in. It sure helps manage cost IMHO.

If you are going to get insurance, get it today. Don't wait until a pre-existing condition can be added to your charts.

It's not worth it now for me to get insurance on Fenway. I will get it for any new dog I get going forward and I will get it on day one.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

We have Healthy Paws. Fortunately, we haven't needed to use it yet.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.