Leaking Urine In 5 Year Old - What Is Going On With Kevin?

AEB

Kevin is 5, he turns 6 in December. He has always had an iron bladder. Suddenly a few months ago he started having accidents. Several trips to the vet and lots of tests came back totally normal. The vet attributed it to behavioral issues. Well now we don't wait for him to ask and put him out a lot more, especially after dinner.

On Friday I noticed dribbles of urine on the carpet after he stretched. I got the vet to prescribe antibiotics. We were to bring another urine in this week. Last night he dribbled a half dollar size puddle on our bed. So we got him into the vet this morning. His prostate feels normal but the vet couldn't feel the whole thing. The x-ray looks like maybe his prostate is enlarged. So he will get an ultrasound next week. FIngers crossed we can find the problem and fix it.

Is there anything else we should be exploring? Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

finalsiggy.jpg

I don't really have experience in this but it is sounding more like an internal or anatomical issue more. Maybe the ultrasound will show that if it is. Maybe a belly band would be good for him in the meantime? This must be frustrating to have it an ongoing issue and no cause being found.

sounds like felix- this started a couple of months before his 6th birthday, relaxed sphynicter muscle. all the lab work and dip stick test came back clear. we tried des first, worked like a charm for 9 months. then symptoms reocurred. des can not be used again, proin is the next step.

the rx - he's a 78#boy- one week of 12.5mg of proin 2xs daily, 1 week of 12.5mg proin daily, every other day after that. i have slipped occasionally and it's been a 3 day stretch, no problems. so far no side effects and he and the dog beds, blankets, etc are nice and dry. 2 years worth of proin cost $39.

btw- generally a vet can feel the prostate when they examine the dog. well, at least my vet could w/ our welsh terrier when he was checking it. no need for fancy smancy $$ test to see if it's enlarge.

I had a 5 year old male (Keno) that started leaking suddenly just like you've described. Urinalysis showed no sign of UTI. My vet is also a chiropractor and adjusted him the same day. Leaking completely stopped that day. He said that urinary incontinence can result when the bladder sphincter is innervated at the lower lumbar vertebra. He said it sometimes takes more than one adjustment, but Keno completely stopped leaking with just the one.

A couple of months later I took him to playgroup and he ran like a madman and the next day was leaking again. Took him that day for an adjustment and he stopped leaking that day and never leaked again.

Just something to consider. :)

ETA

It's mentioned here near the bottom of the list:

http://www.naturallybalancedvet.com/does-my-dog-or-cat-need-to-be-adjusted.html

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Kevin is still leaking urine. Another blood panel and ultrasound and no answers. Everything is normal on the tests. But he is leaking urine. I am supposed to get a call from the vet tomorrow after she confers with her partner. Over 1K in vet bills in a few months and absolutely no idea what's happening. They mentioned some meds but said they are not as effective in males. It was mentioned that it may be neurologic.

Anyone have ideas? Any thoughts on the meds available. Next steps?

finalsiggy.jpg

Update: Kevin is still leaking urine. Another blood panel and ultrasound and no answers. Everything is normal on the tests. But he is leaking urine. I am supposed to get a call from the vet tomorrow after she confers with her partner. Over 1K in vet bills in a few months and absolutely no idea what's happening. They mentioned some meds but said they are not as effective in males. It was mentioned that it may be neurologic.

Anyone have ideas? Any thoughts on the meds available. Next steps?

Is there a veterinary chiropractor near you? It worked for my male dog.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Is there a veterinary chiropractor near you? It worked for my male dog.

I have no idea. i will ask today. I am afraid of chiropractors but if the vet knows of one that has helped patients I might give it a go.

finalsiggy.jpg

I have no idea. i will ask today. I am afraid of chiropractors but if the vet knows of one that has helped patients I might give it a go.

I've have good experiences with chiropractic. I have scoliosis and had unrelenting back pain, limb numbness, and sciatic nerve pain until I tried chiropractic. When Keno (who was 5 at the time) started leaking urine, I did an online search for possible causes and came across this info re: nerve impingment and incontinence in dogs:

"A specific example of this situation is when the bladder or sphincter muscles are inhibited leading to incontinence issues in dogs. Misalignments or joint restrictions with the sacrum and caudal lumber joints in particular will decrease the function of the corresponding nerve roots and the nerves that form from them. One particular nerve, the pudendal nerve is formed by the nerve roots from the first three segments of the sacrum. This nerve goes on to branch into other nerves that supply the sphincter muscles that control bladder and bowel function. If this nerve is not functioning properly, it can cause leaking urine or incontinence issues. Chiropractic aims to remove this interference through adjusting the lumbar spine and sacrum. This allows the nerves to be as healthy as possible. When proper nerve function is restored and the brain is able to communicate effectively with this area, certain incontinence issues can be resolved. However, there can be other reasons for incontinence such as infection, disc herniation or tumors so it is important that these issues be addressed and ruled out." Do a search on chiropractic and canine incontinence and you can find other references. I've read about success with acupuncture for incontinence as well but have no experience with it.

Anyway, my vet is also a chiropractor and he commented that Keno seemed sore in his sacral area when he examined him, but he got a urine same to rule out a UTI (it was negative). He adjusted his lumbar/sacral area and the adjustment relieved his pain and incontinence immediately. I'm not sure it always works with a single adjustment, but it worked like that for Keno twice. Several months later I took him back to playgroup and Keno was a complete wild man at playgroup. He ran and played so rough and hard that he hurt his back again and started leaking the next day. Single adjustment fixed it a second time. And I stopped taking him to playgroup. :)

Oh, and several years ago, a new adopter that I met at a local Petsmart called me and said her young male greyhound had started leaking urine suddenly and a round of antibiotics hadn't helped and asked my advice. I told her about my experience with Keno and she had her boy adjusted and she called me back to say it worked for him.

And here's a link you might want to check out to look at all options:

http://6 Causes of Bladder Problems and Urinary Incontinence in Dogs

Good luck with what ever you decide. I hope you find the cause and can get it resolved.

Edited by galgrey

I've have good experiences with chiropractic. I have scoliosis and had unrelenting back pain, limb numbness, and sciatic nerve pain until I tried chiropractic. When Keno (who was 5 at the time) started leaking urine, I did an online search for possible causes and came across this info re: nerve impingment and incontinence in dogs:

"A specific example of this situation is when the bladder or sphincter muscles are inhibited leading to incontinence issues in dogs. Misalignments or joint restrictions with the sacrum and caudal lumber joints in particular will decrease the function of the corresponding nerve roots and the nerves that form from them. One particular nerve, the pudendal nerve is formed by the nerve roots from the first three segments of the sacrum. This nerve goes on to branch into other nerves that supply the sphincter muscles that control bladder and bowel function. If this nerve is not functioning properly, it can cause leaking urine or incontinence issues. Chiropractic aims to remove this interference through adjusting the lumbar spine and sacrum. This allows the nerves to be as healthy as possible. When proper nerve function is restored and the brain is able to communicate effectively with this area, certain incontinence issues can be resolved. However, there can be other reasons for incontinence such as infection, disc herniation or tumors so it is important that these issues be addressed and ruled out." Do a search on chiropractic and canine incontinence and you can find other references. I've read about success with acupuncture for incontinence as well but have no experience with it.

Anyway, my vet is also a chiropractor and he commented that Keno seemed sore in his sacral area when he examined him, but he got a urine same to rule out a UTI (it was negative). He adjusted his lumbar/sacral area and the adjustment relieved his pain and incontinence immediately. I'm not sure it always works with a single adjustment, but it worked like that for Keno twice. Several months later I took him back to playgroup and Keno was a complete wild man at playgroup. He ran and played so rough and hard that he hurt his back again and started leaking the next day. Single adjustment fixed it a second time. And I stopped taking him to playgroup. :)

Oh, and several years ago, a new adopter that I met at a local Petsmart called me and said her young male greyhound had started leaking urine suddenly and a round of antibiotics hadn't helped and asked my advice. I told her about my experience with Keno and she had her boy adjusted and she called me back to say it worked for him.

And here's a link you might want to check out to look at all options:

http://6 Causes of Bladder Problems and Urinary Incontinence in Dogs

Good luck with what ever you decide. I hope you find the cause and can get it resolved.

Thank you for this information.I talked to my vet about this. And even though both he and I don't have experience with it we agree it's worth a try. Our options now are to do nothing and belly band or try this. He is going to talk to the agility people he knows. I guess there someone that several of them love that works on people and animals. I also found a holistic vet that does chiropractic. We'll make an appointment - maybe next week after we do our homework.

finalsiggy.jpg

I'd definitely do the chiropractic too.

Fritz had an odd bout with what seemed to be a UTI but tests were all okay. Vet determined his prostate was irritated for some reason or another. He took Zeniquin for 14 days and that licked it. Many other antibiotics won't do the job.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Had you changed his food recently before this started? Or added any supplements? I vaguely recall a foster who had peeing issues and when his food was switched, he was fine.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Had you changed his food recently before this started? Or added any supplements? I vaguely recall a foster who had peeing issues and when his food was switched, he was fine.

No changes at all Jen.

I'd definitely do the chiropractic too.

Fritz had an odd bout with what seemed to be a UTI but tests were all okay. Vet determined his prostate was irritated for some reason or another. He took Zeniquin for 14 days and that licked it. Many other antibiotics won't do the job.

Kristin, his prostate looks normal on the ultrasound. Though it looked a bit enlarged on the x ray 10 days prior when he was on antibiotics. I might try the adjustment and if it doesn't work or the accidents get worse again I will ask for Zeniquin. No signs of infection.

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Was the urine cultured?

Zeniquin isn't magic. It works only on specific bacteria. There would be no reason to ask for it -- or to use it -- without a culture indicating that it's effective against the organism in question.

I wouldn't use chiropractic in any case, but especially not if something neurologic is suspected. You could risk making the problem much, much worse via a process that has been shown many times to be, at best, equivalent to placebo.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.