Suddenly Henry Is Pacing And Panting

Henry, a 4 year old male tuxedo hound, who was bred for show and was never raced (or shown, either, I suspect) has been with me since the spring of 2013. I would classify him as a rather high strung dog for a greyhound, but certainly not as neurotic as some I have loved. But today, my dogwalker called me to say that Henry was pacing and panting, and would not settle; he didn't want to go for his walk (very odd) and was being more than usually destructive (paper tearing, nothing more.)

I have a puppycam set up in the playroom, which is where the three hounds usually hang out, and I can see that while Fred and Kimba are relaxing, Henry is still pacing and panting.

The only thing I do know is that Henry and Fred have not been getting on very well lately, and yesterday, on the cam, I observed Fred bullying Henry off the couch, which Fred promptly took over. Fred does this by just standing silently next to Henry on the couch, and he stares and stares until Henry gets up and moves. When they are in the backyard together, Fred chases Henry back to the deck. It has taken a while for Fred to decide that he is not going to tolerate Henry's puppyish boisterishness, but he has certainly made that decision now. Fred, who is extremely gentle and affectionate, and whose face is the greyhound equivalent of Eeyore's with a personality to match, has turned into an Anti-Henry tank.

Kimba is the longest with me of the group of three; she came in the summer of 2012; Fred came on October 29, 2012, I think; they were both well settled before Henry came in April 2013. Because he never raced, he doesn't understand the manners expected of a retired racing greyhound, and I think Fred feels very critical of Henry's ignorance of what is the right way for a greyhound to behave.

I am thinking that Henry might benefit from a calming regime, but I will take him to the vet tomorrow to rule out anything physical. Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

Thanks!

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

This sounds like a physical problem, the panting and pacing, the inability to settle. It could even be something as bad as bloat, which would require immediate attention. I think you should be posting in H&M.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I agree it sounds like it could be a medical issue. When Rudy had a really upset stomach he was pacing and tearing at the carpet and even grabbed one of my books and was tearing at the pages. He would go outside (I have a dog door) and tear up and eat grass until he was gagging. I was so alarmed I ran him right to the vet. He actually seemed to settle and be acting more normal by the time we were at the vet. In his case after an x-ray and exam it was felt he had gastritis and that he was probably having pain and cramping. He was given a couple injections to help pain and nausea and some medication and I watched him like a hawk overnight. He got through it okay.

Edited by k9soul

Definitely rule out bloat first. Panting and restlessness should not be ignored, especially in AKC hounds where bloat is much more prevalent.

If you're sure it's not bloat or some underlying pain or medical problem, I'd muzzle everybody as a precautionary measure. I don't tolerate bullying among dogs... although I do understand and sympathize that AKC greys are almost a different breed. Everything you wrote about your Henry sounds very similar to my Truman- a little neurotic, puppyish, bouncy, no manners. Those are all reasons why we've done extensive obedience with Truman (for our own sanity and our other dog's).

Sounds physical to me as well. I too would be concerned with bloat/GDV. That is what happened to my beloved Slim. They couldn't save him-he coded twice after the surgery and went into DIC. I will point out also that his abdomen did NOT appear bloated. Initial symptom was slight hind end wobbling/unsteadiness.

Oh, boy. Here I am in Manhattan and with a pile of work on my desk, and there is Henry, 2 hours away by the fastest route home, and what should I do? I guess I will start by looking at him a bit more on the puppy cam, and maybe a call to my vet is in order.

Edited to Add: I am on my way home and Henry will see the vet as quickly as I can get him there. Hopefully it's nothing, but if it is bloat, Henry heeds help. Thank you all SO very much!

Edited by Booker_Aye

Abraham Lincoln

Gas-X may help but check with the vet first.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hope all is okay with Henry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Henry is physically fine. The vet gave him a thorough physical exam, and did some blood work and a stool sample check that we'll know about tomorrow. Assuming nothing is found, the most probable cause for his panic attack could be the funny weather we have had, or his battle for position with Fred, or separation anxiety suddenly taking a very virulent turn.

The vet suggested a pheromone collar and some DAP diffusers, which I ordered from Amazon, although I don't think that will be much help. We'll see. I will keep a close eye on Fred and Henry, and they may get muzzled at least for a few days. Alone training is hard when you can only do it intensely on weekends but you still have to leave every weekday, which causes backsliding...

I also think energetic Henry needs a good walk in the morning to take the edge off before I leave for work. So I will try to get up earlier for that.

But physically, he's great!

Abraham Lincoln

I've been wondering about Henry. So glad he checked out okay at the vet. I know it must be frustrating to not have a clear answer though for what was going on with him. I hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Glad that he's okay. Are you leaving some noise on, like a radio or TV as a distraction? Might help if there's something outside happening that causes him to be upset. Could be anything from a loud truck to a mower running, etc. You never know what little things will cause anxiety, but blocking out noise from outside can't hurt.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life