Wetting Her Crate During The Workday...

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Sarah, I just wanted to say that I think you've done a fabulous job with Luna. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is something medical that goes away with a round of ABX. If not, I would recommend posting on Care.com for a dog-walker. There are lots of people who are college students, in between jobs, stay-at-home parents, etc. who are looking for some extra money. And the other nice thing is that the website does background checks on everybody. In our area, a once-a-day dogwalker runs about $12 a day, which is probably what you'd spend on doggie daycare. The other option is to possibly train her with pee-pads. It's kind of a non-traditional approach, and you'd have to leave her crate door unlocked. But that would be a lot better than doggie diapers or bad-girl pants. I've found that those things are good aids for older dogs with leaking or incontinence issues, but not the best solution if the dog is totally emptying out. If she sits in a wet diaper for two hours, you're looking at the larger problem of bacteria spreading, which results in UTIs.

And again, I really applaud your commitment to Luna. Not many owners, especially first-time grey owners, would go to such lengths. :clap

Thank you so much. Sometimes I think, "What have I gotten myself into?!" since Luna is truthfully not the "ideal" dog for a first-time greyhound owner (severe separation anxiety...food aggression...poop issues...etc!) But, I have had dogs my entire life and am a devoted Googler/Greytalker, so I think I have managed fairly well. I love her to death despite all her quirks, so whatever happens I will handle it. I will definitely avoid the diapers...didn't think it would be a good idea anyway. I will definitely look into the incontinence pad/liner if the accidents continue after the course of antibiotics. I don't know if I'm comfortable training her with potty pads, since I rent and don't want to damage any surfaces. The girl I used to take her for daycare charged me $10/day (which was really generous of her to do) but professional dog walkers cost $15/day for 2 dogs here (it wouldn't be fair to James to leave him out of the midday walk). I'm honestly not sure I'm comfortable with any person coming into my home while I'm not there, though. I'm sure you understand! I'll definitely be making longer-term plans if this does not clear up with medical treatment. Thanks again for your support. :)

ETA: She had a dry crate when I came home from work today. She has had 2 doses of the amoxicillin (500mg ea.) ...doesn't seem like that would be enough to make a difference in infection though (correct me if I'm wrong!) The only other difference is that I didn't leave for work until 7:50 so she had her 2nd potty walk at 7:45 instead of 7:30. Who knows if that had anything to do with it either (I actually came home about 25 minutes later than usual today, on top of it all). She continues to mystify me!

Edited by LunaTheGreyt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be enough to make a difference (the 2 doses of amoxi).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What Batmom said! Two doses can definitely make a difference.

I hear you about not getting the ideal dog. PK is high prey, and was completely non-responsive for the first three weeks we had her. I seriously thought about returning her. And now, she is the dog I could never give up, my heart dog. Or, more accurately, I am her world. All of my greys have been hard work, her especially, but what she has given in return as more than repaid me.

:wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a cutie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest LazyBlaze

Whooooa, she is absolutely gorgeous! :beatheart So pleased that the antibiotics seem to be helping already. Fingers crossed the accidents stop and she can have the run of the place again. Those brindle markings between her eyes somehow make her expression ultra adorable.

Maddie never goes in the house and when shedoes it is because she has a urinary tract infection. She has one right now and when she had an accident, I got a sample and took it to the vet and they confirmed she had one. This is the only time she wets in the house. Mads is now 11 1/2 years old and she does get me up during the night which is fine. I would rather her wake me then have an accident. Maddie is very vocal when she has to go. She barks and runs to the back door and when she comes.in fro during her business she stands in front of the treat jar to make sure I give her a cookie.

When I adopted Mads almost 8 years ago, she had bad desperation anxiety. I totally understand what you went through. Mads is on amoxicillin as well. I have to be careful with it as I am allergic to amoxicillin. But I have noticed that she is doing a lot better now that she is on the antibiotic.

Very sweet face... hoping you have many great years with Maddie.

Did anyone mention getting a washable incontinent pad to put in the crate under the usual blanket? This will absorb if necessary. Otherwise it's just there in the crate. I use them. Every now and then someone didn't take care of business. I can just throw the pad in the washer, give the bottom of the crate a quick wipe down if needed.

This might be helpful for the future for me. Would this pad be for a person or do you mean a pet item? Thanks,

Luna is the type of dog that will sleep for nearly the entire day and all night without a stir. Lately though, she has been wetting her crate while I'm at work (7:30ish-4:00ish). She has not been having accidents while I'm at home, which would make me think UTI, so this behavior troubles me. She no longer shows signs of SA (thanks to having a dog buddy here) so I doubt that's the cause. She usually pees 2-3 times on our 10-20 minute walk before I leave and I don't allow an excessive amount of water in the morning. I started crating her while I'm at work because she had several accidents on my area rug during my first couple weeks back at work (I'm a teacher) so I stopped letting her have free reign.

Like I said, she is able to hold it for 10-11 hours overnight (if I'm sleeping in on the weekend), and yesterday I was home sick from work and took the dogs out at their usual time in the morning and afternoon, and she was fine. I definitely can't afford a dog walker as they are insanely expensive in my area -- since I have 2 dogs it would be over $15/day on average. I don't know any of my neighbors, but I know everyone in my building works. I do bed her crate quite thickly -- several blankets and a pad -- and she tends to pee underneath the top layer then cover it back up. Should I just put 1 blanket down and see what happens? I don't want to make her stay in a completely bare crate. I'm not really sure what to do if that doesn't work. :\ Thanks for your advice.

Your Luna is very beautiful and I wish you all the best in solving this issue quickly.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Another dry day! :)

I am quite partial to her forehead markings -- looks like a flower or plant to me.

Re: the pads. I would assume pads made for humans would be better quality and possibly cheaper than ones made for pets.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Another dry day, and gasp, this morning I was running late and did not take her out to potty for a second time before I left for work (she peed 3 times on our first walk + poop). I think the infection was the cause of the wetting! Fingers still crossed, hehe.

Another dry day, and gasp, this morning I was running late and did not take her out to potty for a second time before I left for work (she peed 3 times on our first walk + poop). I think the infection was the cause of the wetting! Fingers still crossed, hehe.

Would you not feed your kid breakfast if you were running late? Please don't minimize the importance of your dog being able to relief herself.

I would sooner be late for work than short change my dog on his outings!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Would you not feed your kid breakfast if you were running late? Please don't minimize the importance of your dog being able to relief herself.

I would sooner be late for work than short change my dog on his outings!

Well honestly until she started wetting the crate (due to the UTI) I never gave her a second outing after breakfast. She was fine before and she's fine now. :)

Still all good?

Yep on the UTI front. Unrelated diarrhea issues now (started today)...sigh.