Wetting Her Crate During The Workday...

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Luna is the type of dog that will sleep for nearly the entire day and all night without a stir. Lately though, she has been wetting her crate while I'm at work (7:30ish-4:00ish). She has not been having accidents while I'm at home, which would make me think UTI, so this behavior troubles me. She no longer shows signs of SA (thanks to having a dog buddy here) so I doubt that's the cause. She usually pees 2-3 times on our 10-20 minute walk before I leave and I don't allow an excessive amount of water in the morning. I started crating her while I'm at work because she had several accidents on my area rug during my first couple weeks back at work (I'm a teacher) so I stopped letting her have free reign.

Like I said, she is able to hold it for 10-11 hours overnight (if I'm sleeping in on the weekend), and yesterday I was home sick from work and took the dogs out at their usual time in the morning and afternoon, and she was fine. I definitely can't afford a dog walker as they are insanely expensive in my area -- since I have 2 dogs it would be over $15/day on average. I don't know any of my neighbors, but I know everyone in my building works. I do bed her crate quite thickly -- several blankets and a pad -- and she tends to pee underneath the top layer then cover it back up. Should I just put 1 blanket down and see what happens? I don't want to make her stay in a completely bare crate. I'm not really sure what to do if that doesn't work. :\ Thanks for your advice.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LunaTheGreyt

It actually doesn't sound like she's house trained?

She hasn't had an accident inside in ages...when she has to go potty when I'm home she'll go to the door and whine. But like I said, most of the time she'll go 8 hours easily without asking for a break. I'm just confused why she can't hold it when I'm gone for 8.5 hours.

Brandi is like this. Some days she will hold it for 16 hours. Others, less than four. My routine is: long walk in the morning to empty out completely. Breakfast. Me: breakfast, shower, hunt for car keys. Leash up dogs: outside for a pee. This takes 5 - 10 minutes. Paige never pees, Hermon sometimes pees, Brandi must always pee because we aren't going inside otherwise. When I've done this, we've had no accidents. Yes, it makes my mornings longer, but it means a clean house, clean and comfortable dogs and a happy life.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Brandi is like this. Some days she will hold it for 16 hours. Others, less than four. My routine is: long walk in the morning to empty out completely. Breakfast. Me: breakfast, shower, hunt for car keys. Leash up dogs: outside for a pee. This takes 5 - 10 minutes. Paige never pees, Hermon sometimes pees, Brandi must always pee because we aren't going inside otherwise. When I've done this, we've had no accidents. Yes, it makes my mornings longer, but it means a clean house, clean and comfortable dogs and a happy life.

Luna's the same way with inconsistency - every now and then she does ask to go out in the middle of the day on weekends, but other days she'll go over 12 hours. I'm going to have to do a second potty walk in the morning before work, I guess. It won't kill me to wake up at 6:20 instead of 6:30...hopefully! I hope that helps her! I'm also just going to do a single blanket in there tomorrow.

I've found as well, if it makes you feel any better, that Brandi will pee without fail every time she goes outside. The others look at me like 'why are we here? I don't need to pee. I went twenty minutes ago. You woke me up for this????' It means that usually things are quite quick if I can give her 30 minutes or so between breakfast and the pee.

I've also taken note of the weather. Hot weather = drinking more water = what goes in must go out. So, is Luna's crate in a shaded, cool area? (ie, is she getting hot, drinking loads then getting desperate?) Is it happening at any particular time, in response to a noise? (Mail being delivered,kids coming or going to school, neighbours banging doors, other dogs?).

Just throwing out some ideas. I know Brandi gets excited about people coming to the door and excitement = mustpeeimmediatelybecauseI'msoexcitedoopsthat'sthecarpet moments.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

I've found as well, if it makes you feel any better, that Brandi will pee without fail every time she goes outside. The others look at me like 'why are we here? I don't need to pee. I went twenty minutes ago. You woke me up for this????' It means that usually things are quite quick if I can give her 30 minutes or so between breakfast and the pee.

I've also taken note of the weather. Hot weather = drinking more water = what goes in must go out. So, is Luna's crate in a shaded, cool area? (ie, is she getting hot, drinking loads then getting desperate?) Is it happening at any particular time, in response to a noise? (Mail being delivered,kids coming or going to school, neighbours banging doors, other dogs?).

Just throwing out some ideas. I know Brandi gets excited about people coming to the door and excitement = mustpeeimmediatelybecauseI'msoexcitedoopsthat'sthecarpet moments.

She never reacts to noises/events whether I'm home or not, especially not by urinating. I have her on webcam all day and whenever I've checked in she's asleep - I don't know when exactly she's having the accident but by the time I get home there's a gross ammonia smell. I have AC so the apartment is between 70 and 72 all day, and she doesn't get direct sunlight. I'll definitely feed right after their first walk and take out a second time right before I leave. Fingers crossed...

Wait--

You give her ONE 20 minute walk before leaving her all day?

Dogs hold it at night because they're sleeping. They naturally just sort of go into a mini hibernate type mode--just like most of us humans don't get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (until you get to be my age!). It's perfectly normal to sleep through the night once you're not baby!

But how often do you go during the day?

Imagine, if you would, you have ONE chance at the bathroom, and then you go to work and spend the entire day there, and don't get another chance.

I would suggest before you panic you adopt a new routine in the morning. Take her out for a piddle break BEFORE you feed her. Then after she eats, take her for a nice long walk--depending on her age, 30-40 minutes.

See if she makes it through the day then.

The goal is to 1) empty her bladder after she eats (most dogs have to go to the bathroom about 30-60 minutes after they eat), and 2) tire her out so she's more inclined to sleep more.

You might also take a urine sample to the vet to rule out any UTI.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I had the same problem with Payton. Some days he would pee in his crate, some days not. Not consistent at all. First thing I did is an extra potty break in the morning. I bring him out at around 5:00 am, again around 6:30-7:00 and finally at 7:45 – 8:00 a.m. This last break, he acted like he didn’t need to pee, but eventually he went. Now he seems to realize that I am not going to let him back in the house until he pees, so he generally does it fairly quickly now. He did not pee in his crate after that.

Second, my husband ended up staying home one morning and said that Payton whined and cried in his crate for an hour after I left. Payton has been out of his crate at night since day 2 or 3. I had been leaving him out for shorter periods (up to 4 hours) after the first week or two. So I started leaving him out during the day while I was at work.

We have not had an accident in house for about 4 weeks now (knock on wood). If the UTI is negative (and I would think it would be if she is only having accidents in her crate), maybe try an extra potty break and a day or two out of the crate. She may be ready to come out now.

Good luck!

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest sireltonsmom

I had similar behavior with my 9 yr old Mindy. It WAS a UTI - it took a long time to really show by bloody pee but it responded to antibiotics (hope you insist on generic from your local pharmacy rather than the costly vet given ones). So, I recommend a vet check of urine. Maybe you can just take a sample in if your vet agrees - that's what I did (used a ziplock container). Good luck. Poor girl.

:gh_runner Mindy

:ghplaybow Beau

Guest Branna

I have a question here also with my new hound. My goal was to wake him up about 6, take him to relieve himself, return to the house to give his breakfast, and then I would get ready and take him for a 30-40 minute walk after his breakfast. Lately, he has been able to go out at noon for a quick walk, also.

However, he won't go on our grass (front lawn) for the first step as I wanted. He just statues, and acts like he wants his walk now. Should I insist on this if I can by nudging him along or should I do the walk first and then feed him?

I was wondering if he didn't like the wet grass. Also isn't bloat a possibility if he eats and then walks? He trots along fairly briskly.

Thanks for your advice!

Guest LunaTheGreyt

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I live alone and am not comfortable walking in the area I live in for very long in the dark (sunrise is around 7:15). I have to leave for work at 7:30 and can't feasibly walk for 40 minutes and take a shower, feed myself, feed them, etc.

I used to just take them out at 6:40 (when Luna always goes P&P, usually multiple times), but today I added a second trip at 7:30 right before I left where she peed once. Luna's crate was dry when I got home a little after 4. I will see if she consistently stays dry with the second morning potty break.

I've gotta be honest - I teach elementary school and there are plenty of days where I get 1 bathroom break if I'm lucky! :hehe

I have a question here also with my new hound. My goal was to wake him up about 6, take him to relieve himself, return to the house to give his breakfast, and then I would get ready and take him for a 30-40 minute walk after his breakfast. Lately, he has been able to go out at noon for a quick walk, also.

However, he won't go on our grass (front lawn) for the first step as I wanted. He just statues, and acts like he wants his walk now. Should I insist on this if I can by nudging him along or should I do the walk first and then feed him?

I was wondering if he didn't like the wet grass. Also isn't bloat a possibility if he eats and then walks? He trots along fairly briskly.

Thanks for your advice!

Personally I always wait a minimum of 30 minutes (an hour if it's warm out) before walking the dogs after they've eaten (or feeding after a walk). When I have more time in the morning on a weekend, I always walk them before breakfast, then come back and have my own meal before feeding them. During the week we take longer walks after work. I would not cater to him if he doesn't like wet grass...it's inevitably going to rain and he'll have to deal with it then! Coax him with a treat if you have to.

Edited by LunaTheGreyt

Walking after breakfast -- reasonably gentle potty/"see the sights" walk -- isn't a big deal. Jogging after breakfast would not be a good idea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When the experts talk about "exercise" and not eating too soon before or after a meal, they mean VIGOROUS exercise that makes the dog pant. Panting can make the dog suck in more air. Air that could contribute to bloat. My George NEVER, EVER, EVER just walks. He bounces and trots along like a guy half his age. I do not consider our 30-40 minute walks "vigorous exercise" for a professional athlete! (For the record, my family lost a dog to bloat. We did nothing wrong. None of the "don't" were done. Sometimes bloat just happens, and I don't think there is a lot of evidence proving any of the theories on bloat and how to prevent it.)

My rule on eating is if they're PANTING, you wait. But it's not likely a walk is going to cause that unless it's really hot out.

I am at my desk by 7 AM, so yes, it IS possible to walk your dog before work! I'm also alone, and it's very dark out when we walk. I have a fabulous collection of lights; one that I wear around my neck, another that George wears around his neck. They provide plenty of light. I also have those camping headlamps which are great during snow storms! I also carry my cell phone in case some scary goes on. People ask me all the time "Aren't you scared?" Well, what if I was? I chose to be a single woman who lives in a condo with no yard and own a large dog. I have a full time job. When I took on a dog, I accepted every unpleasant aspect of it, including getting up earlier than I need to so that both George and I have time to get up, pee, he eats, I take my medications that enable me to walk him, and then I need time for coffee and for them to kick in. So I'm up at 5 AM. Outside (sometimes with pajama pants and a jacket!) immediately. Back inside, feed animals. Changing into dog walking clothes, take medications. Have coffee--two cups if possible. Catch up on my WWF games, clean litter boxes, etc. 5:45, out the door for our walk. 6:15 or so, back inside. Put on "big girl" clothes (dress for work), brush teeth, attempt to make hair look civilized, make lunch, toss cookies at dog and out the door.

Arrive at office 7 AM. Work until 3:30. Return home. Take dog out. Inside for our favorite part of the day when I scream "Cuddles!" and we run and jump on the bed. Feed animals. Clean litter boxes again. Relax with some Judge Judy. And so on! He goes out again at 5 PM (1 hour after he eats!) and then the last time at 7:30 or 8. That sounds early until you remember we get up at 5.

George has had ongoing issues with peeing in the house. I have tried EVERYTHING, and only after FIVE YEARS of giving him a Kong with peanut butter in it every single day did I think, "Huh. Maybe it's the peanut butter?" and stop that. He hasn't peed since...

How stupid do I feel????

Anyway, I'm happy to hear the extra outing seemed to have helped! Keep it up, and maybe look into this light for your dog: http://www.amazon.com/PupLight-Dog-Safety-Light-Red/dp/B0002XUHYO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1381406683&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Pup+light

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Of course this morning she P&P'd in the rain (peed twice) at 6:30 but didn't do anything at 7:30. It was also pouring rain during both walks so I wasn't keen to stay out more than 5 minutes and get totally soaked in my work clothes. So, I came home to a wet crate. She doesn't get many special treats as I'm trying to figure out why her poops are so, well, crappy, so no PB. Sometimes the puppy-variety Kong filling with a Blue biscuit, but this morning she just got a Wilderness biscuit and that was it. I also just put one blanket down. I'm not mad at her, just frustrated I guess.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I am at my desk by 7 AM, so yes, it IS possible to walk your dog before work! I'm also alone, and it's very dark out when we walk. I have a fabulous collection of lights; one that I wear around my neck, another that George wears around his neck. They provide plenty of light. I also have those camping headlamps which are great during snow storms! I also carry my cell phone in case some scary goes on. People ask me all the time "Aren't you scared?" Well, what if I was? I chose to be a single woman who lives in a condo with no yard and own a large dog. I have a full time job. When I took on a dog, I accepted every unpleasant aspect of it

To be fair, I was almost physically assaulted, while walking my dog very early in the morning, if I didn't threaten the man with a "gun" (which I didn't actually have) It could have been much, much worse. I walked my dog in my apt complex, where there are about 500 apts, there were lamps, but I was a smaller woman walking a docile dog. I understand EXACTLY where she is coming from. (The man tried hitting on me, when I ignored him he grabbed my arm and tried to prevent me from walking away) I still shake when I think about it. I will not risk my body or life to walk my dog. We have worked on a system that accommodates us both, it is very possible.

My dog never gets more than a 15 minute walk, it is too hot here. However, he gets a quick P&P first thing in the morning, and a quick P right before I leave for work (I also work for a school) I think the second "walk" is necessary. They really do need to go out after they eat. In our adoption kennel, the schedule is this: 6am: turnout, 7:15am: breakfast (takes about an hour to feed all the dogs) 9am: turn out. If we don't start getting the dogs out ASAP, then we end up with a few wet crates. To train my dog to potty as soon as possible, I kind of did the house training 101 steps of take him out, don't pee within 5-10 mins? Go back inside, wait 30 mins, go back out for another 5-10, go to one specific area so she knows that "this is where I need to potty!" for exercise or long walks, do a completely different route. Only use the P&P route for quick potties. Although you probably already know all this!

Guest LunaTheGreyt

To be fair, I was almost physically assaulted, while walking my dog very early in the morning, if I didn't threaten the man with a "gun" (which I didn't actually have) It could have been much, much worse. I walked my dog in my apt complex, where there are about 500 apts, there were lamps, but I was a smaller woman walking a docile dog. I understand EXACTLY where she is coming from. (The man tried hitting on me, when I ignored him he grabbed my arm and tried to prevent me from walking away) I still shake when I think about it. I will not risk my body or life to walk my dog. We have worked on a system that accommodates us both, it is very possible.

My dog never gets more than a 15 minute walk, it is too hot here. However, he gets a quick P&P first thing in the morning, and a quick P right before I leave for work (I also work for a school) I think the second "walk" is necessary. They really do need to go out after they eat. In our adoption kennel, the schedule is this: 6am: turnout, 7:15am: breakfast (takes about an hour to feed all the dogs) 9am: turn out. If we don't start getting the dogs out ASAP, then we end up with a few wet crates. To train my dog to potty as soon as possible, I kind of did the house training 101 steps of take him out, don't pee within 5-10 mins? Go back inside, wait 30 mins, go back out for another 5-10, go to one specific area so she knows that "this is where I need to potty!" for exercise or long walks, do a completely different route. Only use the P&P route for quick potties. Although you probably already know all this!

Thanks for your understanding; I'm just 5'1, and although I have big dogs, they are huge pushovers and I have zero confidence that they would ward off unwanted attention. My area is not "crime ridden" but there are plenty of armed assaults and I do not wish to put myself or my dogs in harm's way. Your story is extremely scary and I hope you never have to experience that again! I still have to spend some time out there in the dark in the AM and PM but would prefer to keep it to 15 minutes or less (even with lots of apartments around and some lamps, it's just not enough to make me feel safe).

I will be more diligent with feeding right after the first walk in the morning -- today I forgot my 'new' schedule and showered before feeding them. I think if I remember to feed around 6:45 tomorrow she should take a second potty break before I leave for work. If the crate wetting continues despite my extra efforts I will take a urine sample in.

We have a dog-walker come mid-day b/c we have long work days and James has a small bladder, but I know you don't have that luxury. But our morning schedule goes like this:

5:00 a.m.--wake up, go potty (dog + DH..though not together ;) )

5:30 a.m.--breakfast (dog)

6:00 a.m.--breakfast (me)

6:45 a.m. - 7:05 a.m.--walk (poop time and last potty, require at least 3 markings)

7:30 a.m.--leave for work (take up water bowl)

Do you restrict her access to water when you leave?

We could put James back out before we leave, but he's one of those dogs that only goes when he really has to go. There are times where he doesn't empty enough on our morning walk that our dog-walker makes a note that "James really had to pee when I got here," but it's not that common of an occurrence.

Good luck!

Guest LunaTheGreyt

We have a dog-walker come mid-day b/c we have long work days and James has a small bladder, but I know you don't have that luxury. But our morning schedule goes like this:

5:00 a.m.--wake up, go potty (dog + DH..though not together ;) )

5:30 a.m.--breakfast (dog)

6:00 a.m.--breakfast (me)

6:45 a.m. - 7:05 a.m.--walk (poop time and last potty, require at least 3 markings)

7:30 a.m.--leave for work (take up water bowl)

Do you restrict her access to water when you leave?

We could put James back out before we leave, but he's one of those dogs that only goes when he really has to go. There are times where he doesn't empty enough on our morning walk that our dog-walker makes a note that "James really had to pee when I got here," but it's not that common of an occurrence.

Good luck!

She does not have access to water in her crate. She doesn't usually drink much during the day regardless, so I don't feel bad about it -- usually just upon waking, after going outside, and when coming out of her crate. I try not to let her have too much right before I leave. If it wouldn't cost me just under $100/week to have a dog-walker, I'd definitely get on it. Hoping our 2 AM potty breaks make a difference once I get the schedule down.

I feel really bad for this dog. Asleep all nigh and then next to no walking and then 8 hours in a crate. Not fair. I am really sorry for your situation of not feeling safe in your neighbourhood. If it were me I would take measures so I could properly walk the dog or I would return it in the hope that it would end up in a situation where it could get proper exercise.

I feel really bad for this dog. Asleep all nigh and then next to no walking and then 8 hours in a crate. Not fair. I am really sorry for your situation of not feeling safe in your neighbourhood. If it were me I would take measures so I could properly walk the dog or I would return it in the hope that it would end up in a situation where it could get proper exercise.

I usually let people fight their own battles, but I'm going to jump in and say this is a bit overboard. Is it ideal that the dog only gets about 15 minutes of exercise in the morning before being left alone all day? No. But, OP does take longer walks after she returns home in the afternoons and she has a relatively short workday compared to some of us. I applaud you for being able to take Hester on lots of outdoor excursions (Lord knows I love watching all of your videos), but not all of us have copious amounts of time to exercise our dogs. That doesn't mean they're not being properly cared for or merit being returned. Quite frankly, the fact that they don't require a lot of exercise is why a lot of us chose to adopt greyhounds. James probably gets around an hour of exercise total each day, if that. I know other dogs get more, a lot more. Should I return James so that someone else can give him more exercise? I think not. If you were to ask him, he would probably eliminate all walks except the midday one from our dog-walker.

Also, there's nothing wrong with being crated during the workday. Plenty of dogs spend the workday in a crate.

OP is coming to us for help on this issue, which we should applaud, not discourage by being so judgmental. And I get that we're all entitled to our opinions, but when they're not helpful perhaps we should just not share them.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I do not feel bad for Luna at all. She has an amazing mom who has been doing everything in her power, and going far beyond what a normal doggy parent would do (such as getting another dog to help with the SA, handling the countless vet bills to work with meds to relieve the SA, working through tummy troubles, etc.). We could make a lot of ridiculous statements on what constitutes responsible ownership, This is not and applicable situation. Yes, she most likely will need to adjust her schedule to better work on helping Luna accommodate, no, she does not need to return the dog because she can't walk the dog for an hour before she goes to work. Do you know what her dog (and the majority of others) do all day? Sleep. In a crate, on a bed, same thing.

"Proper exercise" is a ridiculous, broad term, what do you consider to be the appropriate amount of exercise for all greyhounds? We all know you had to WORK with Hester to build up stamina to do the amount of exercise you do, is that proper? I know many groups with many years of greyhound experience who would say you do too much. Keep in mind the differences in location, while you might have lovely weather year round, Luna's mom and many others on here, do not. My dog would probably die of heat exhaustion if I walked him for more than 20 minutes where I live, and guess what, my adoption group has seen 3 greys cross the rainbow bridge this summer due to the heat. Also, keep in mind that dogs can vary greatly within a breed, if Luna was being destructive, seemed bored, etc, then yes, I would say she needs more exercise and/or mental stimulation. Exercise has nothing to do with this, her dog just needs a second opportunity to pee!

I know you think you're "just being honest" but your comment doesn't really have a place in this discussion except to get a rise out of people. Which it is certainly doing. I find it rude, because you are implying that I, and many others on here, do not give their dogs a good, happy life. I see greyhound trainers every week and can promise you that they find my dog in excellent condition. I can guarantee that my dog loves his life with me, even if he only gets a weekend romp at the kennel. You know what his favorite words are? "Back inside?" "Need a nap?" We can make many judgement calls on this forum, try to make your criticism constructive. It's hard not to take a comment like yours very personally.

Your opinions are all very valid and Luna is well cared for I'm sure - it is just that Luna's schedule is just something I could never personally do. I appologize if I sounded harsh.

I admit to having an extreme position about what a dogs life should be like and that is why I have never owned a dog (until now), and why I will probably never own another after Hester is gone.

I read all the time about the many mindblowing sacrifices that so many GT'er make and yet when it comes to exercise too many of us seem to lose our commitment to the breed. I am not saying this applies to Luna, but it is all too common. Perhaps we accept it because the breed is complacent or easily content but is it really best for the animal? My oninion is no. I fear many of us adopt a Grey because they are advertised as not needing much exercise - that is why I adopted a Grey - I was afraid of feeling guilty about not giving enough exercise to any other breed I might own. The image of the Greyhound would absolve me of that guilt. And once the dog arrives our distorted perceptions complete the couch potato image. (The psychologists among us can explain how this works).

The couch potato reference is a disservice to the breed. I really don't like the fact that so many agencies promote the adoption of Greyhounds by touting the "fact" that a Greyhound can get by on as little as two twenty minute walks per day. I acknowlege there are some Greyhounds that are by nature quite inactive or perhaps when they get old, but every one that I have encountered seems to thrive on much more exercise and stimulation.

Many Greyhound owners are quite convinced that their dogs are just not that into going for walks and so they are walked a minimum. I believe this is merely the result of the retired racers previous experience which simply does not involve a great deal of exploring type walks. If you expose a Greyhound to exploring type walks, it will learn a new way of life and draw tremendous joy, satisfaction, and contentment from the activity. But this is a learned behaviour that requires an introduction, practice, and persistence. I have seen some Greys resist at first only to learn the joys of exploring with additional exposure.

Regardless of what a dog may actually need, I believe that it is possible for anyone to give their dog two solid hours of walking per day. Even if you work full time - an hour before work and an hour when you return. Also adding a 30 minute walk before bed is not a hardship either.

As a final note I wish to point out how extrememly rare it is to hear someone report that they exercise their Grey a great deal and yet still have problems in the house.

Edited by KickReturn

I don't think exercise is the be all and end all. Would Luna benefit from a longer walk in the morning? Perhaps but maybe only from the perspective of having the chance to empty out completely if this is part of the problem.

But this discussion runs the risk of derailing the thread. So, how's Luna doing now?

I don't think exercise is the be all and end all. Would Luna benefit from a longer walk in the morning? Perhaps but maybe only from the perspective of having the chance to empty out completely if this is part of the problem.

But this discussion runs the risk of derailing the thread. So, how's Luna doing now?

And I forget. What is she being fed in the morning? Is it very wet? Could it be the peanut butter?