Adding A Second Hound

Guest Marie

Guest Marie

Hello guys!

I'm pretty new here but I have been reading your posts for almost a year. We adopted our first greyhound in march after our 14 year old boxer died. His name is Chase (was Cayenne Thunder). He turned two recently.

I was a vet technician for 10 years before I became a teacher and I had decided long ago that my next dog would be a retired racer, because giving a home to a grey in need felt like the right thing to do. I had met one or two and had herd they were good dogs but nothing prepares you for a greyhound.

Chase is such a good little boy I decided that we should open our hearts, and our home to a second dog. Our current baby is good with cats, children and very very nice to other dogs. He is more submissive and approaches other dogs with respect but not fear. Ill admit he is easily bossed around by other dogs (male of female) and lets the other one take the lead. He does play and enjoy their company.

Here is my question; our adoption group says that adopting an older female may be better for Chase than getting a second male that might boss him around. What are your experiences?

Thank you so much!

Marie

Sorry if my english isn't perfect, we live in Québec Canada, frenchie here! ;)

Guest Clawsandpaws

Bonjour! (Sorry, that is the extent of my French/Quebecois!)

I only have experience of what I observe in the adoption kennel. My personal experience is that females tend to be more bossy than the boys. However, it really boils down to the individual hound, most of the senior girls I know (in a home) are VERY bossy with their house-siblings. I have also met some males who are big jerks with other boys. So you should really just pick a dog based on their individual personality, and that may be an older lady, or another boy :) hopefully some more experienced people will chime in.

Let your dog decide. Also, maybe you could try a dog out for a weekend or week on a trial basis. We did that with Idol and the boys and she never left.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hi Marie from just across the border in Eastern Ontario. We added a second boy approx. 12 mths after we got our first and he worked out fine. Both our boys were fairly easy going and seemed to mix together well. I think the biggest thing is to try and find the right personality for Chase, be it male or female, young or old. The best way to do that is to go to the kennel and have your pup meet some candidates if that is possible, not sure who you are adopting through.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We have two boys, and their dynamic is amazing. They do everything together- they're the best friends, brothers, playmates. They get upset when the other has to leave for obedience class or a vet appointment. One is very quiet and subdued and the other is a ball of energy, so their personalities are really a good juxtaposition to one another. I was reluctant at first to add another boy (as many people do recommend the male/female combo). But I don't think there's anything wrong with having two boys if their personalities are a good fit. I agree with what the others have mentioned. Focus less on gender and more on a good personality match.

Guest BuckeyeAmy

My Flynn is also a sweet, very passive boy. I had the same concerns that you do. I prefer male dogs and decided that it would definitely be another male when we got to the GAO kennel. We let the dogs meet and see how they reacted around each other. I was worried about sweet Flynn getting bossed around by another dog but as it turns out he's no pushover! He definitely is not willing to share his personal space, bed or food bowl. Cyrano respects that (after they had a scuffle and determined what the boundaries were) and Flynn respects Cyrano as well. I was surprised to see some dominant traits in my completely passive Flynn, but they're there! You never really know what your dog will do with another one in the house until you bring the 2nd dog home. It did work out, despite a few weeks of tense negotiations, and now I feel that they understand and respect each other. It took using a crate and training to get the two to work together well in the house and on leash, but after 2 months I think they've made great progress and are a good pair. Good luck in finding your number two and keep in mind there is an adjustment period for everyone in the household.

Guest Marie

Thank you all so much for your replies!

Unfortunately, we can't meet the dogs. We are adopting threw SOS lévrier Québec. They work closely with the Jacksonville Kennel and profile the dogs. We'll ask to be matched with an easy going dog. We didn't pick Chase on a gender basis. We gave personality criteria.

Hopefully they will send us a gentle little one who Chase will enjoy living with. We'll know in september since we want to move before welcoming our second hound.

We'll let you know!

Merci encore

I'll start by saying your English is tres bon!

I would trust in your adoption group to match you up with a suitable hound. I am assuming your Chase came though them so they will be able to make a choice based on their knowledge of your boy and your needs.

Girl or boy I'm sure there will be a good match made. :)

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

We have two girls and will hopefully be adding a boy to our mix at some stage. I have to say that it really does depend on the dog. One of mine is an alpha little cow. She does boss other dogs around and gets what she wants. She gets along equally well with boys and girls - that is some boys are fine, some boys aren't, some girls are fine, some girls aren't. If you've got an easy-going pooch then you can really go with whoever you want as long as they get along with other greys or dogs (or whatever). That might be an older girl, it might be an older boy, or it might be a younger one. Also, have a think about what you're expecting to happen in terms of there being a dominant dog. It might be that the newcomer ends up in charge - would you be comfortable with that?

I too would trust your adoption group.

This last time, I tried the "let my dog pick" method. Did not work. My existing dog was not interested in the process and wanted nothing more than to get back in the car and go home.

All my previous dogs came here without meeting my existing dog first. There is always the chance -- a very small chance -- that the two dogs will hate each other. That has not happened to me yet.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jey (Batmom) just reminded me... My dogs, permanent and fosters, all came straight into my house without any preliminary introductions. Maybe it has been luck, but there has not been a problem with any of them.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

All my previous dogs came here without meeting my existing dog first. There is always the chance -- a very small chance -- that the two dogs will hate each other. That has not happened to me yet. Good luck!

I do agree with this. You can make it work 99% of the time. Some will be bonded, some will just 'co-exist.' But very seldom have I seen ones that hate each other. It's a rare occasion that someone returns a greyhound because it didn't get along with the resident greyhound. I'm excited to find out who OP ends up with.

Guest blueberri

we're slightly further along this process, and were recommended a female. They picked a 3yo quietly confident, but currently anxious in the kennels, ex-racer to go with our 4yo goofball ex-racer. She arrives tomorrow :balloonparty and the drop-off point is fortunately across the road from a dog park. We're gonna have our boy in the park, and bring her in so it's neutral territory for them to meet. Also taking both cars so if they don't get along too brilliantly they will not be forced to share the same cargo area home.

Can't wait :bounce2

We need to rename her, as her existing name is horrible... wanting to meet her first to see what name works for her.

Good luck with your new pup!!!!! :goodluck

Personality is more important than gender, for the most part.

Remember that racing greyhounds are used to living with a lot of other greyhounds that they don't get a say in. They are also kept in gender groups - males with males and females with females - so they are quite used to being together. There *can* be problems, but there probably won't be.

We've had eight greyhounds now, and none of the ones who were already with us ever met the new ones before they came home. And I had only met ONE of them before she came home. So I wouldn't worry so much and trust the work that the group does for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly