Swollen Lymph Nodes In A Healthy Dog

So while I was out of town, DH noticed that Murphy's lymph nodes in his throat seem swollen and looser (if that makes sense) compared to Henry's. I noticed the same thing when I got home, so I don't think they were like that all along and we're just now noticing them, but it's possible.

How concerned should I be about this? He's obviously not sensitive about having them handled, no pain reflex at all, and he's otherwise healthy--eating well, acting like his normal self, playing with his toys, etc. He turns nine this month if it matters and has no chronic health issues we're aware of.

On a positive note, his scary lump near the spine has vanished entirely--I think the surgeon and the second vet were obviously right, it was some sort of localized infection.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Okay, I'll make the appointment. I feel like ever since we lost Patrick my mom radar is off and I'm running to the vet over every little thing.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I felt around a whole bunch (Murphy's such a good sport) and I couldn't find anything in those other areas--I checked the outside of his throat further down on the sides (I think that's the right spot) and his front and back armpits.

His left eye is a tiny bit yellow goopy though. He has an appointment with his vet on Friday (so DH can meet the new vet) but I'll move it to tomorrow morning up if anything changes overnight. They said it's fine to bring Henry for moral support as Murphy gets really scared at the vet's office and Henry is much more confident.

Eta: If anyone knows, what can I expect tomorrow at the vet's office in terms of tests/procedures?

Edited by PatricksMom

First things I'd want would be a CBC (complete blood count -- the reds, whites, platelets; don't need chemistry panel at this point) and a close look at his mouth and teeth, and the goopy eye. I'd be looking for an infection, possibly tooth-related, before anything else. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If it's just the mandibular lymph nodes could it be from a tooth infection? Or could it be a salivary gland instead of a lymph node? My guess is the vet will palpate the area in question along with the other lymph nodes. Will check mouth, eyes, etc for signs of infection. Should there appear to be something more ominous going on then I'd anticipate at least blood work &/or possibly FNA of the lymph nodes involved. Preliminary results from that would help guide further diagnostics.

Totally understand the mom radar being on high alert. Been there and one of those times caused me to be a complete freak about lumps for a while afterwards. While I believe a vet appt sooner rather than later is called for, AFAIK swollen glands in one area are usually a sign of localized infection, not generalized disease. Please don't envision the worst. OK, I would but you shouldn't. (Says the girl who recently rushed a dog to the vet for skipping one meal & then panting too much.)

Good luck...keep us posted.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Okay, thanks. He just had a dental about 6 weeks ago and bloodwork (normal), but will see what the vet says and update.

Guest greybookends

The body uses the lymph nodes to fight infection. If they are swollen it does not mean there's anything wrong with the lymph nodes themselves. Sheana's did this several years ago. We could not find anything wrong. We suspected something tick related, the most likely suspect was erlichia but without expensive tick panels we were not sure. The most common treatment for erlichia is a high dose of antibiotics for about 30 days. We decided to go ahead and do this, because even if it was not erlichia it was some sore of infection and again the same treatment. It does not harm the hound even if it does not work, which it did, but even if it doesn't it gives you a jump on whatever you are dealing with.

The vet gave him a through going over, there's no swelling in the any of the other lymph nodes--and now I know where to look, apparently I poked poor Murph in the wrong spots. Given his eye goop on the one side and that only the ones in his jaw were swollen, she think's it's a localized infection. She thought a tooth absess was unlikely, given that there's no other swelling and that he just had a dental about 2 months ago so his teeth look really good so I'm still not entirely sure where the infection would be. We came home with 10 days of Cephloxin and and an eye ointment. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

I asked the lady behind the desk if she would give Murphy a treat because we're working on the not being scared at the vet thing--so he got to go behind the desk for lots of loving from both receptionists and some treats--he was much less scared about the whole thing after that.

Glad your boy got lovies and hope the antibiotics and ointment take care of it!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Murphy's eye is looking better already...hopefully we've nipped this in the bud.