Calling All Raw Feeders

Guest JaneandSara

Guest JaneandSara

We have been feeding a pre-made raw for a year or so (which is quite expensive in the UK). We have just started making up our own food - buying from butchers/supermarkets etc and would love to hear from other raw feeders about what you feed.

I'm not feeding raw anymore, but when I did I fed chicken leg/thigh quarters and backs, turkey necks, legs, and wings, pork necks and ribs, cornish hens, beef kidney (which is one of the most foul smelling things I have fed them) and any inexpensive cut of boneless beef.

I feed primarily raw beef and turkey with occassional sheep. lamb, ostrich, goat, rabbit etc. from My Pet Carnivore. The biggest portion is green tripe. The dogs do greyt on it. a lot of their stuff is pre made up so I don't have to bother doing anything else to it.

Guest FinnsMom

My guy gets ground turkey, turkey necks, tripe, beef cheeks, offal, and occasionally I'll make him doggie meatloaf (ground beef, cooked rice, a purred vegetable, parsley, and cinnamon), which he loves. I do try him on chicken once in a while but I find he's still a bit sensitive to it, giving him gurgly tummy and soft poos.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Do any of you buy your raw food exclusively from a chain supermarket? I have been considering feeding raw, but realistically, I can only depend on a Publix/Walmart for the food. Is there a site you like that gives the basics? How do you know if it's balanced? How expensive is it compared to the average kibble? Lets say 50$ for a 30 lb bag. I would love to try raw for my cat too

I feed ground beef, turkey & tripe, chicken & turkey necks, eggs, canned fish (jack mackeral & sardines), liver, kidneys, heart & cottage cheese to the hounds & kittehs. I buy in bulk from a couple of co-ops that deliver locally on a regular basis. I haven't fed kibble in so long (over 12 years), I have no idea how it compares dollarwise. But I just love feeding this way & they all do well on it.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest JaneandSara

"Do any of you buy your raw food exclusively from a chain supermarket? I have been considering feeding raw, but realistically, I can only depend on a Publix/Walmart for the food. Is there a site you like that gives the basics? How do you know if it's balanced? How expensive is it compared to the average kibble? Lets say 50$ for a 30 lb bag. I would love to try raw for my cat too"

Are you on Facebook? There are lots of raw feeding groups/Yahoo groups that can help and websites. You have to calculate the weight, age, breed of dog and feed a percentage of meat, bone and offal. It's not as difficult as it seems. For cats you have to ensure they get Taurine (found in heart). We can't tell you how much it costs as we are in the UK - meat is cheaper in the US than here tho'! Go for it!!!!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Thanks, I didn't check facebook. I found that most of the sites are very informative, but some of the things they use are too hard to find in your average grocery store! I am considering buying a chest freezer and starting to buy in bulk from online, as I cannot afford a grinder that can do bones... It is very interesting, I am trying to read up a lot on it before I start

I have fed raw for almost 15 years and have fed many "versions" as things have changed over the years. I used to feed exclusively from the grocery store as there were few, if any raw suppliers (which is fine as long as you can get liver and kidney). Recently, I have found a lady who grinds up mixes for a decent price. The mix contains chicken, beef and pork (trim, heart, lung, liver, kidney, tripe, spleen). I usually mix this in half/half with kibble to make it go further and the dogs do amazing on it. I am LOVING the convenience of this. At dinner I feed a variety of raw meaty bones from the grocery store (usually chicken thighs, or pork). I also sometimes add in cooked foods, eggs, tinned fish, cottage cheese and healthy leftover pasta, veggies, etc.

Most places now have co-op groups in which people share resources, order in bulk, etc. to save money. If you do a google search for your area + raw dog food co-op/supplier you often will find things. Here is a link with U.S. co-ops by state:

http://dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

IMO anyone going raw should definitely order some books before starting. My personal favourite is Lew Olson.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Most places now have co-op groups in which people share resources, order in bulk, etc. to save money. If you do a google search for your area + raw dog food co-op/supplier you often will find things. Here is a link with U.S. co-ops by state:

http://dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

IMO anyone going raw should definitely order some books before starting. My personal favourite is Lew Olson.

That link was perfect! Thank you! I am reading up a lot on it for my cat (which I know has different requirements than for a dog, but I figure if I feed her raw I may as well feed him raw too)

Do you own your own meat grinder, or do you think it's necessary to own one?

Do you add supplements? I have been getting mixed reviews on that

Guest JaneandSara

We don't have a grinder but we buy a pre-made pet mince which give the dogs enough bone - and add other meat and offal. Definitely worth investing in a freezer so you can buy in bulk and pick up bargains. I insist on a separate freezer for the dogs - which is silly really as it is all frozen - and I am manic for cleaning the kitchen and utensils after using raw! Factor in the cost of cleaning products when you budget :hehe

Guest Clawsandpaws

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this is my last question: I read that it is best for digestion for those being fed raw to be fed once a day, do you guys?

Guest JaneandSara

Yes, you are correct, once a day is best for big dogs. We have very small dogs so we feed them twice a day.

The supplements we feed are: Salmon Oil for coats and joints (twice a week), Coconut oil for general condition (every day), and Diatomaceous Earth, a natural alternative to worming (every day).

Guest Clawsandpaws

Yes, you are correct, once a day is best for big dogs. We have very small dogs so we feed them twice a day.

The supplements we feed are: Salmon Oil for coats and joints (twice a week), Coconut oil for general condition (every day), and Diatomaceous Earth, a natural alternative to worming (every day).

Thank you, I am just starting to research supplements! I volunteer at the adoption kennel a lot. When I bring my grey with me I let him eat the left overs to breakfast (raw meat, kibble, rice and water) he loves it. He has always eaten the raw meat that has fallen to the floor while cooking (I'm horribly messy) and I have never seen him drool so much! I can't wait to get started!

Guest JaneandSara

Please feel free to PM with any specific questions - my partner Sara is the expert, I just cut up the meat and stuff!!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Please feel free to PM with any specific questions - my partner Sara is the expert, I just cut up the meat and stuff!!

Thank you, I was hoping to find a few mentors some close by, and some online :)

Guest FinnsMom

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this is my last question: I read that it is best for digestion for those being fed raw to be fed once a day, do you guys?

I never came across this information while researching raw before starting. My guys is about 75 pounds and I feed him twice a day. For his weight it is almost 2 pounds of food split into the two meals, plus his supplements. He looks forward to both his meals and asks for them like clockwork every day. LOL

Guest JaneandSara

Thank you for the recommendation - Lew Olson is missing from our book shelf so we have just ordered "Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs: The Definitive Guide to Homemade Meals"

Here is a link to a radio interview by Lew Olsen on special needs diets and her book. It is pretty long so you can skip through to what you want (lol this is for the truly obsessed). If you're interested in the book though it's an interesting interview!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rottweilers/2011/08/11/special-diets-for-special-needs

BTW I feed 2 meals per day, I really don't think it matters.

Guest JaneandSara

Here is a link to a radio interview by Lew Olsen on special needs diets and her book. It is pretty long so you can skip through to what you want (lol this is for the truly obsessed). If you're interested in the book though it's an interesting interview!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rottweilers/2011/08/11/special-diets-for-special-needs

BTW I feed 2 meals per day, I really don't think it matters.

Thanks, will listen to that!

About 2 meals ...... on second thoughts I agree with you - for greys two meals are better, particularly if they don't keep weight on or have digestion issues - I'm a bit out of touch with greys as it's been a few years since mine went to the 'rainbow bridge'.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Thanks, will listen to that!

About 2 meals ...... on second thoughts I agree with you - for greys two meals are better, particularly if they don't keep weight on or have digestion issues - I'm a bit out of touch with greys as it's been a few years since mine went to the 'rainbow bridge'.

Greyt, because feeding only once a day was giving me serious reservations... LOL. Dudley would eat me if he didn't get his dinner/breakfast

I have been raw feeding for about 7 years. It has evolved over the years to what works best with my crew. I started with having a ground veggie mix every week, but some didn't tolerate it and I don't personally feel that they "need" to have it, so I cut that out. They eat twice a day. Every morning they have chicken backs and liver. The evening meal varies nightly. Chicken quarters, pork neck, ground beef or turkey or pork, venison (in season), fish, turkey necks, duck, pork ribs, stew beef, green tripe. Basically, whatever I find that is reasonably priced. They do get tripe once a week. I will periodically add a raw egg (shell and all) or cooked sweet potato or maybe cottage cheese or yogurt. Maverick cannot tolerate yogurt. I do not grind anything, except for Brady. He has basically no teeth (he arrived that way) and needs it ground. I grind the chicken quarters easily. I also supplement his diet with pet mince of duck or turkey. It's easier for me that way.

As for supplements, they get a glu/chro/msm mix and fish oil as a regular staple. Brady gets additional things due to his personal needs.

They have all done well on the diet, but I do make accommodations as they age or have other health issues. It is second nature to me now. I have kibble for when Brady goes on strike and will cook eggs or whatever he may desire.

I had a easy to read booklet that broke it all down including amounts to feed. I loaned it to someone and don't remember who and it is now gone. If I ever remember the book, I will let you know!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest JaneandSara

I started with having a ground veggie mix every week, but some didn't tolerate it and I don't personally feel that they "need" to have it, so I cut that out.

We started with vegetables but gave them up as some vegetables/fruit sugars lead to tear stains and yeast infections. Also it just seemed to 'come out the other end' anyway!

I've been feeding raw for 3 years now. I initially switched just Carl because he was having some weird health issues, but two weeks into it I saw such a dramatic change in his body that I switched Doodles, too. I feed twice a day, each meal is about the same: organ meat (a ground concoction from a local natural/organic butcher shop), a green tripe grind with muscle meat, bone, gullet, trachea, heart (yes, I know heart is muscle meat) and tongue, then an additional meat (beef, turkey, pork, lamb, rabbit, quail, etc) and chicken feet. I was pretty diligent about adding pureed veggies, but have gotten away from it. I do give a multi-vitamin, salmon or anchovy oil, a bit of ground almond and some other supplements recommended (but not necessarily sold) by my vet.

Their bloodwork is stellar! The few times they've had the big D since I've been feeding them raw they've firmed up right away, but I usually give them Nux Vomica for the big D.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014