Calling All Raw Feeders

Guest JaneandSara

Guest Clawsandpaws

So chicken parts are okay? I bough some thighs and chicken quarters (for myself, but I have too much), I'm just so nervous to have him try them

JaneandSara - that video was great! His tail didn't stop wagging! :lol My cats are the same way if they can get them themselves a big meaty bone. I think they honestly feel they can finish the whole thing. :flip

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest JaneandSara

Out of interest what ratio of food to weight of dog do you feed? For small dogs like ours it is about 4% but I think it is about 2.5% for large dogs?

So chicken parts are okay? I bough some thighs and chicken quarters (for myself, but I have too much), I'm just so nervous to have him try them

I would start with chicken carcass or turkey neck - not so easy to swallow in one go!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Out of interest what ratio of food to weight of dog do you feed? For small dogs like ours it is about 4% but I think it is about 2.5% for large dogs?

I would start with chicken carcass or turkey neck - not so easy to swallow in one go!

Thank you :) so I went to send you a PM and realized you don't have 50 posts yet, so you can't use the messaging system. Here is what I was going to send you:

Hello! Just wanted to say Hi! Waiting on a my Lew Olson nutrition book so that I can really start doing this seriously. The past few days I have been adding ground beef to his kibble, which he loves. I tried giving him a turkey neck (it was not frozen) and he had no idea what the heck it was! He had zero interest in it :( I tried a small portion of chicken thigh tonight (de boned) and he had no interest again :( even if I chop it up... Do you have any advice? Do some dogs just not like raw?

Almost every dog will scarf down raw beef, but some don't like the texture or smell of chicken or turkey at first. My Karma was appalled at first. A couple of things you can try are searing the meat lightly on the outside, or "marinating" it in something like canned sardines, cheese or whatever he likes. Karma is obsessed with those dry liver treats, so I buy a powder and rub it all over the meat. Eventually, once they have eaten it enough, they will usually eat it more willingly. If you chop it, you can also try mixing it in with beef. If you need, you can pm me anytime as well, I have done this for many years with multiple dogs so have a pile of resources.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Almost every dog will scarf down raw beef, but some don't like the texture or smell of chicken or turkey at first. My Karma was appalled at first. A couple of things you can try are searing the meat lightly on the outside, or "marinating" it in something like canned sardines, cheese or whatever he likes. Karma is obsessed with those dry liver treats, so I buy a powder and rub it all over the meat. Eventually, once they have eaten it enough, they will usually eat it more willingly. If you chop it, you can also try mixing it in with beef. If you need, you can pm me anytime as well, I have done this for many years with multiple dogs so have a pile of resources.

Thank you, the mixing/marinating is a great idea, I think that would work. I am kind of jumping all in (found a co-op, chest freezer, etc etc) just waiting for my books to arrive so I can write down a diet and a plan to bring to my vet so we can monitor him in the beginning. I am very excited! I will PM you when I have my next questions line up!

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Guest JaneandSara

We agree with cooking the chicken a little, then cooking it less and less until he is eating it raw. I am sure you know this but don't cook any bone!

When we switched to raw we went with 'tough love' for two of our dogs - and they didn't eat for a couple of days until they were hungry - but hounds are different and I'm not sure I could cope with not feeding a grey!

Guest JaneandSara

Here is a link to a radio interview by Lew Olsen on special needs diets and her book. It is pretty long so you can skip through to what you want (lol this is for the truly obsessed). If you're interested in the book though it's an interesting interview!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/rottweilers/2011/08/11/special-diets-for-special-needs

Thank you for the link, we listened to the whole programme last night - just waiting on Amazon to deliver her book!!

Guest LauraB

I try to stay under $1.50/lb. So Dillard gets chicken backs legs and thighs, turkey drumettes and necks, beef, chicken and lamb hearts, chicken gizzards, pork bits and pieces, pork necks, and we had lots of venison, but it's all gone. Sometimes he has yogurt and 2 raw eggs. Yesterday he had left over mashed potato.

I do have a freezer. He gets 2 shelves and that makes it easier. i can buy 10 packages of whatever is on sale.

I am still new to raw-have been feeding it to my two boys for just under a year. But I think it's great. I use a ground up turkey, chicken or beef. The grind that I buy contains meat, organs, and bone. In addition to the grind I add chicken legs, wings, breast, gizzards, beef chunks-whatever the meat store has. I am fortunate to have a meat store a block away, and its a very reasonably priced one. I also add some veggies, I use Grandma Lucy's organic mix, add canned pumpkin, sardines or salmon. The morning meal has a spoonful of yogurt or cottage cheese and I also add coconut oil to both meals. I feed twice a day. Oh and I two times a week they get beef bones with meat on it. To keep their teeth white. They look good and are healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marsroving

Mars has been eatting raw since day one! When we brought him home he refused kibble which concerned me. Eventually he would eat kibble but never with any vigor or real interest. The first time I threw a chicken thigh in his bowl I knew I would never give him kibble again! Mars mainly eats chicken pieces and organs but his lips tremble for a spoon of ice cream! I've even given him a pig hoove, it took him an hour to finish it but wow, I think it was the most prized meal I ever gave him (he growled at me when he caught me watching him eat it!!!!!). Every now and again, if the price is right, ill pick him up a container of blackberries or strawberries since he has a sweet tooth, and genuinely loves sweets!

We do our absolute best to make sure his bone to meat ratio is balanced and that he gets fish oils every other day if he isn't being fed any salmon or tuna.

Guest zombrie

Ok I have to ask... I've been wanting to switch to raw because the kibble we use sold out and will be run by a not so good company. But raw makes me nervous because I have no idea what to do :lol I'll read up what you guys have posted. I am also curious as to how much money it compares to kibble (unfortunately it is a factor). But my biggest question is WHERE do you get this stuff?!? The grocery store?

Edited by zombrie

Guest Clawsandpaws

Ok I have to ask... I've been wanting to switch to raw because the kibble we use sold out and will be run by a not so good company. But raw makes me nervous because I have no idea what to do :lol I'll read up what you guys have posted. I am also curious as to how much money it compares to kibble (unfortunately it is a factor). But my biggest question is WHERE do you get this stuff?!? The grocery store?

I am still researching!! I just bought the Lew Olson http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-Nutrition-Dogs-Definitive/dp/1556439032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370184251&sr=8-1&keywords=lew+olsen book. It's great!! So far it is more expensive than kibble, HOWEVER, I have been in the ground beef only stage, which is pricey since I am buying it from a grocery store. When I am ready, I will begin buying different meats from a co-op which will cut the costs down significantly.

Guest zombrie

I am still researching!! I just bought the Lew Olson http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-Nutrition-Dogs-Definitive/dp/1556439032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370184251&sr=8-1&keywords=lew+olsen book. It's great!! So far it is more expensive than kibble, HOWEVER, I have been in the ground beef only stage, which is pricey since I am buying it from a grocery store. When I am ready, I will begin buying different meats from a co-op which will cut the costs down significantly.

Thank you! I will definitely look into it

But my biggest question is WHERE do you get this stuff?!? The grocery store?

You CAN feed raw from the grocery store, I did for years. Ideally you could find a co-op, butcher or a local company that makes a mix (boneless trim/organ meats) to supplement the grocery store. Raw meaty bones (thighs, backs, necks) etc. aren't the expensive part of raw, the boneless meat is (around half of the meat you feed should be boneless). I was thrilled to get a ground mix here for $2/lb which would be very expensive for a lot of people (most people seem to pay between $1-2/lb...most greys eat around 2-3 lbs per day I would guess).

To save $ I have been mixing the ground raw mince half and half with kibble, and then giving a meaty bone from the grocery store for dinner. It makes the ground mix last twice as long. That is an option that can work well, especially if you are new and a bit nervous.

I quickly checked my co-op list but didn't come up with any in Boston :( Doesn't mean there isn't one though. Here is the only I saw:

http://www.pawfectlyrawne.com/index.html