Weird Coughing/gagging

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

We've noticed for a while now that Nash, who will be 8 next month, has this weird coughing/gagging behavior. Most of the time it's really mild, and looks like extra swallowing or the kind of cough a dog who pulls too hard on his collar might do. His collar is not too tight, so I'm not sure what's causing this. It seems to happen most when his neck is stretched out.

This afternoon, Nash jumped on the bed to be with me (I'm not feeling well) and immediately started hacking and gagging. It was bad enough that I quickly shuffled him outside to throw up if needed, rather than letting him throw up on the bed. He ran around wagging his tail for a few minutes (no barfies) so I let him back in. He did it a few more times back inside, but it wasn't quite as bad and now he's laying on his blanket on the floor making no noises and not looking concerned.

Our guy is negative for heartworms, on preventative, and has had bloodwork done several times over the winter with nothing out of the norm.

Does anybody else have any clue what this might be about?

Could be a lot of things. From a benign reverse sneezing or allergies to the beginnings of laryngeal paralysis. Best thing to do is get a video and take it to your vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This sounds weird and I might be confusing things, but, I thought I read somewhere that coughing like that can be a sign of intestinal parasites.

I'm on my phone. Someone please feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong! :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest cwholsin

The gagging/coughing is almost solely inside, and has taken place in two different states that we've lived in. The most 'reliable' situation this comes up is drinking from their elevated bowls. It reminds me of a person having some water go down the wrong pipe- so maybe extra dripping? If it could be parasites, it isn't the kinds treated by trifexis at least. I will endeavor to get a video either by catching him in the act or trying to replicate the jumping on the bed incident. Who is Dr. Couto? Connected with OSU?

Edited by cwholsin

Wink started doing that at about age 10. Vet said it was due to thinning of the larynx as they get older. Birdie does this (more mildly) seasonally along with some mild eye discharge, allergy related.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

A phone video would be just as good. Dr Couto, et al, are with the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State Univ. His contact info is in the first post of the Osteo Thread.

I would add that if it's not causing him a lot of distress, it might be a good time for watchful waiting and seeing if it gets worse or better. You might also try and keep a log of occurrences to see if there's a pattern. Having it written down might also be a help to your vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest BlueCrab

Leyland developed a troubling cough earlier this year and I too thought perhaps his collar was too tight, but it was coupled with lethargy, progression of loss of desire to eat, etc. Turned out to be congestive heart failure. So I'm leery now when I hear about coughing. In this instance, since activity level still seems normal and good, I'd be leaning more towards allergens. Particularly now since everything seems to be blooming. We were in Danville VA last weekend and were absolutely awash in yellow pollen!

My Leyla does this all the time!! I also worried that it was LP but our grey-expert-vet said no. She just has a sensitive throat/trachea. Scratching her on her throat causes this always. sometimes she's just lying down and she does this out of nowhere. Sometimes she does this after eating/drinking. Vet assured me it's nothing to worry about so I don't, but it does give otheres the heebie jeebies when they hear it.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.