Kibble Question

Guest Firedancer

Guest Firedancer

When Dancer came to us the adoption group had her on Purina Pro kibble. I decided to keep her on that so as to not propose too many changes at once. She had loose stools for about a month. I tried to swtich her to Blue Buffalo/slowly half and half like you're supposed to. Her stools got worse so we switched her to the Sensitive Stomach Purina Salmon and she has done much better. I really would like to start her to a higher grade food but am nervous about her sensitive tummy. Whenever she is upset or we have to leave her or eats too many treats, her stools get loose again. She has about 4 bm's per day and the first one is pretty firm. The subsequent ones are still somewhat loose and sometimes difficult to get off of the grass. Is this a normal amount of bm's and is the loose thing normal?

Guest bayhorse

i got my dog in feb. and they dont sell Taste of the wild around here, (thats what he was on) so i did the kirkland lamb formula. His stool has always been "squishy loose". After reading posts here, i tryed the "iams green" bag and had nice, firm stool after 1 meal. ! so i just mix the 2 bags now.

Most dogs on here have not done well with Blue Buffalo so I wouldn't use your experience with it to judge other foods you might want to give a try. Finding a protein source that agrees with them is the most important step. If it doesn't agree with them it doesn't matter how good the brand is they won't do good on it.

Four poops is quite a lot.

How MUCH are you giving her?

Don't get obsessed with "quality" of food or listen to too many people. What works for your dog is all that really matters. I agree with the suggestion to take a stool sample to the vet if you have not already done so. My boy had chronic loose stool upon adoption until I treated him with Panacur despite negative fecal tests.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When I got my first hound in 2003, I tried several high end kibbles which he never did well on. MarcR on this forum, who at the time had his three Joisey Girls, recommended Purina Pro Plan Select Salmon and Brown Rice. It's been very successful for us and for the four hounds we adopted after Booker. I have also had good success with Evanger's grain free kibble, which is more expensive and can only be gotten through shipping where we live; the advantage of the Purina Pro Plan Select is that we can get it at local suppliers. Like many others on this forum I want to feed our dogs the best kibble I can find, but the dogs seem to have different opinions as to what the best is!

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Just because she was treated for parasites when you adopted her doesn't mean that can't be part of the problem now. Some parasites, such as hookworms, can be difficult to get rid of, and they can become re-infected from the environment.

Like many others on this forum I want to feed our dogs the best kibble I can find, but the dogs seem to have different opinions as to what the best is!

And perhaps that should be a cue to us to re-evaluate what we believe to be 'the best' kibble, and how dog food quality is assessed... The latest fad and popular opinion from individuals on the internet isn't necessarily the best source of information about dog food and nutrition. :)

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just because she was treated for parasites when you adopted her doesn't mean that can't be part of the problem now. Some parasites, such as hookworms, can be difficult to get rid of, and they can become re-infected from the environment.

And perhaps that should be a cue to us to re-evaluate what we believe to be 'the best' kibble, and how dog food quality is assessed... The latest fad and popular opinion from individuals on the internet isn't necessarily the best source of information about dog food and nutrition. :)

:thumbs-up Yup! :thumbs-up

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

AMEN!!!!

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg