Lactose-Free Milk For Dogs?

Ever heard of this milk for dogs? Ever used it? Just curious since I've never heard of it.

"MilkOPet, a lactose-free milk for dogs, is now available in the U.S. market. MilkOPet can be used to turn dry food into a highy palatable meal or serves as a treat by itself, with the benefit of providing enhanced hydration. Available in 8.45-oz (250 ml) stay-fresh packages, MilkOPet is being made available in veterinary clinics and hospitals, pet specialty stores and select online pet retailers in the United States and Canada."

http://marketplace.dvm360.com/community/DisplayAd.asp?id=3130

I used to give my Schipperke puppies a gruel mixed with goat milk. Put it in a pie tin and watched the fun.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Milk sales are way down nationwide - just another sales gimmick by the milk marketers.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Giselle

Humans are the only creatures who routinely consume milk after weaning. No other animal does it. Predators might occasionally kill a lactating animal and consume a tiny bit of milk, but how often is that really? Not often at all. I agree that it is a marketing gimmick.

Also, lactose-free milk has been available for many years. Check out LactAid.

Edit to add: And only SOME populations of humans can even digest milk! I think something like 60-80% of adult people cannot digest lactose. I highly doubt that dogs have evolved the ability to digest lactose in adulthood. Bottom line: They don't need milk.

Edited by Giselle

IMO yet another way to guilt people into spending money on something not needed. Just because somebody said it (i.e., it's good for them) doesn't make it true, and even if it's true, just how much should we spend on our animals for unnecessary things? Better to save the money for an emergency trip to the vet.

BTW, It has never crossed my mind to give Annie milk in any form.

Edited by Feisty49

IMO yet another way to guilt people into spending money on something not needed. Just because somebody said it (i.e., it's good for them) doesn't make it true, and even if it's true, just how much should we spend on our animals for unnecessary things? Better to save the money for an emergency trip to the vet.

BTW, It has never crossed my mind to give Annie milk in any form.

ditto!

but i was told by my adoption rep who happens to be a vet that cottage cheese is the next best thing to "mother's milk".