Wind Scorpion / Sun Spider?

I saw Reggie messing with and then shaking something he picked up off the floor. I yelled no and he dropped it. Discovered a now dead Sun Spider/Wind Scorpion thing. All my research seems to indicate it's non-poisonous. And Reggie didn't eat it, just killed it. He is perfectly fine. I told him he was a good boy for 1) killing it and 2) leaving it. Just want to double check that it's nothing to be concerned about. On a personal note, though, I am completely skeeved out that there was one (and a pretty big one) in my home. No more open sliders here, I guess.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I had to google wind scorpion spider. This was on the first page that came up:

"Massive jaws, voracious appetite, and sprinters' speed attest that these aggressive desert dwellers are built to kill"

AND

"can have leg spans exceeding five inches (12 centimeters)"

That is just NASTY!! Reggie needs more than a "good doggie" :cookie

siggy2.jpg

Holy crap that thing is ugly!!!

Now I'm wondering if THIS is another critter I

get to look out for here in PHX????

Can't find out where it lives... google says desert.... and I am smack in the middle of desert!!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Just to update ; Reggie is perfectly fine. He's so funny, though. When you meet him he seems like such a dandy. A fancy boy, for you Seinfeld fans. But it turns out he's really a badass. Who knew? LOL!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

eeuuw! that is one ugly dude! Looks like they are pretty widespread (including AZ) Not poisonous, but can give a painful "bite". However, I have lived in Phoenix for over 30 yrs and have never seen one.

good to know you have never seen one - I will think twice about putting my hand into the propane holder for the grill --- seems like it might

be the perfect place for those giant buggers to hide --- not to mention scorpions and black widow spiders and a whole host of other

creepy-crawlies!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I so wish that I had not googled a picture.......... :o

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just FYI, not that it really matters, but every single spider is venomous. They have to be because of the way the eat their prey. Some spiders fangs are too short to penetrate human skin (such as a "daddy long leg"), and therefor harmless.

THAT is just horrible looking! We don't have these here in the Seattle area (well, not that I have seen) but they are as close as Oregon. We do have some big A#$ spiders here that make their appearance all over outside in late September - I always think they are auditioning to be Halloween decorations.

I DO HATE spiders!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My sister (also here in SoCal) spotted TWO in her classroom a few years ago, and captured them for a local pest control company to investigate, since they were living near children. One of the insects was long-dead by the time the pest tech came out to see them -- its head had been ripped off by the other mere seconds after they saw each other. Harmless by virtue of size only! :eek

I happen to LOVE potato bugs/jerusalem crickets; when people get grossed out by those and tell me about it, I reply with "Well, if you think potato bugs are bad, don't EVER google Sun Spiders." Inevitably, a few minutes later, I hear a shriek from the next office... :flip

Just FYI, not that it really matters, but every single spider is venomous. They have to be because of the way the eat their prey. Some spiders fangs are too short to penetrate human skin (such as a "daddy long leg"), and therefor harmless.

Except I don't think the creature being referred to is really a spider. And the thing I've always known as a daddy long legs isn't really a spider. And I'm not going to try to google this because I'm already feeling totally creeped out by the subject because arachnids give me the heeby jeebies. :lol

I've been in AZ 20 years and have never seen that beast! I've probably seen all the others you've mentioned though including the ones that rattle. I spray for bugs religiously and seldom see any since I do, but I saw the tail of the first snake of the season yesterday -- non poisonous thankfully.

But we don't have hurricanes!!

good to know you have never seen one - I will think twice about putting my hand into the propane holder for the grill --- seems like it might

be the perfect place for those giant buggers to hide --- not to mention scorpions and black widow spiders and a whole host of other

creepy-crawlies!!!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I am so glad I didn't Google but read all posts first. I will not Google. Don't need to see a picture of an ugly, scary thing. Your boy is a brave and good hound. He would be better had he picked it up, put it in a bad and carried out to the garbage. :hehe

I am so glad I didn't Google but read all posts first. I will not Google. Don't need to see a picture of an ugly, scary thing. Your boy is a brave and good hound. He would be better had he picked it up, put it in a bad and carried out to the garbage. :hehe

Yeah, I made DH do that. :lol

So the really weird thing is that even though I am very, very , very (did you get that?) scared of spiders, I googled it. Now why??? Why would I do that. Nightmares for sure. In fact, one may have just run over my foot *YIKES* no - it was just Maggie's tail.

Reggie you are a very good boy. A true hero in my book! McD's, Wendy's Frosty, anything you want.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.