Trifexis Anyone Use This?

Guest tsmith1

Guest Clawsandpaws

Which is exactly why I use trifexis.

I use a preventic collar for ticks. I prefer this system because I hate the Frontline streak on their backs and my more sensitive pup is clearly bothered by the chemical when I put it on her. I will add that with the preventic collar I do have to cover the portion that hits their bald necks because it does irritate their bare skin.

With the collar, do you need to keep it on 24/7 or can you take it on and off as needed? Is there danger with you or another animal touching it (such as my cat?) ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a cat :( She is also on frontline and suffers from a flea allergy and has sensitive skin issues so I'm wary of new topicals even used on Dudley

Maybe he would do well on Trifexis, but definitely make sure you get a separate tick collar. Virbac makes one that lasts up to 90 days.

I don't do tick collars, but that's purely due to aesthetic reasons. I don't like the way they look with martingales.

I don't have a cat so I didn't look into the issue. I keep them on 24/7 and do tend to wash my hands after fussing with the collar. We do look funny in the summer with a tick collar, tag collar and martingale all on their necks during walks. :lol But neither of my girls are that social so I don't worry about it.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I dont use Trifexis but i do use comfortis (same thing without the heartworm) and my mom uses trifexis. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and you can order it here http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com and its soooooooo much cheaper and you dont need a perscription. Its coming from New Zeland and the shipping time reflects that so order ahead and plan to wait. I have gotten my orders as quick and 1 week and as slow and 3.5 weeks.

Edited by WhenIGiveIn

Guest myboys4

http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com/ I do not use Trifexis but all my greys are on Iverheart Plus and we have no problem. I order my Iverheart from Fosters and Smith at a phenomenal savings!! I use Frontline Plus and I wanted to thank Michelle (above post) for the above link. I just ordered 2 Boxes of Frontline Plus for 56.00. That is the best price I have ever seen, and only 5.00 shipping!!! I have 4 greys so I buy 2 months, get the 3rd month free....priceless!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone. I enjoy all the input from all the members and it is so good to learn something new. I am always open to things I can do for my Grey's. Love to all...P and the Spring Hounds!!!!!!

Thanks Michelle!!! :)

Guest Clawsandpaws

I dont use Trifexis but i do use comfortis (same thing without the heartworm) and my mom uses trifexis. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and you can order it here http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com and its soooooooo much cheaper and you dont need a perscription. Its coming from New Zeland and the shipping time reflects that so order ahead and plan to wait. I have gotten my orders as quick and 1 week and as slow and 3.5 weeks.

Thanks for the site, I have also heard that deadfleaz.com is good (They're Australian, so no rx) Does comfortis work on ticks?

ETA: Has anyone ever heard/used this? Seems too cheap but it's ivermectin http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com/user/121142440/web/121142440_details.asp?ItemID=18044&CatName=&SubCatName=

Edited by Clawsandpaws

I use trifexis on all 3 of our dogs so thank you for this site! I just bought 3 boxes and it was a lot cheaper! I'm excited about this! :)

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

K9 Advantix is supposed to be very effective, but you're not really supposed to use it if you have cats. The ingredients can be potentially fatal if your dog and cat touch each other, share beds, etc.

While there's nothing wrong with being extra cautious, there's really no reason to avoid K9 Advantix just because you have cats, as long as you take some basic precautions. Casual contact through touching each other and shared beds will not expose the cat to enough of it to cause any problems. You'd only have a problem if the cat licks and ingests the liquid out of the tube or directly off the dog while it's still wet, or if you actually applied it to the cat.

With the collar, do you need to keep it on 24/7 or can you take it on and off as needed? Is there danger with you or another animal touching it (such as my cat?) ?

You need to keep it on 24/7. The tick collars don't work on contact. They actually slowly release the active ingredient which is absorbed into the skin, similar to the topical spot-on products. So after putting the collar on, there's usually a lag of a couple days to up to a week before it takes effect, depending on the product.

I dont use Trifexis but i do use comfortis (same thing without the heartworm) and my mom uses trifexis. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and you can order it here http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com and its soooooooo much cheaper and you dont need a perscription.

These products are prescription for a reason. Foreign companies that sell these products without a prescription make me very uncomfortable. If you choose to go this route, at least discuss it with your vet, and make sure your vet knows what you are giving your dog, as there can be potential drug interactions or medical conditions that certain drugs may exacerbate.

Does comfortis work on ticks?

Comfortis is the same as the flea ingredient in Trifexis, so no, it's not labeled for ticks. It actually does have some efficacy, but not reliable or long-acting enough for it to be labeled for this purpose. I know it does work to some degree as I've found dead ticks on a couple of my dogs in the first week or two after giving Comfortis. And there's a published study showing some efficacy against the brown dog tick.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest wylie_coyote

I am researching our options as well. We were using iverhert and Frontline but frontline does not work for fleas for us. I switched to K9 Advantix but this is irritating the dogs skin as they chew when they are on it. I was looking into Comfortis or Trifexis, in my search I did find that there is currently a 25.00 rebate on a 12month supply of Trifexis from Trifexis.com if that helps. 10.00 on a 6month. Looks like you need to get it from a vet.

Still undecided what we will do but will use the preventic collars as we have already had 2 ticks this year. At least all 4 dogs can use the same pills since all are between the 60-100lb limits on most meds.

Jen, so you feel it's safe to use Tick collars? Is there a brand you'd recommend to use along with Trifexis--cost isn't a big concern? Do I get them from my vet or at the store? After years of using Frontline Plus & Intecepter, I found out the hard way that Frontline doesn't work for fleas here, so I'm using Trifexis. I was told never to use a flea collar by my first adoption group, but maybe they were wrong or things have changed in 10+ years.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The cost of Trifexis from 1-800 Petmeds would only be $2 more a month per dog than our current Heartgard and Advantage from AU IF I used Advantage every month, but I don't. I use Advantage as needed and sometimes a year or more goes by without me using it. If I see fleas I wash beds, spray everything with Adams and dose everyone with Advantage for a couple of months. I *might* use 4 Advantage in a year (I'd need 24 if I dosed every month), and as I said some years not at all. Advantage for the three is $20 a pop so using it every month adds up fast. Heartgard you gotta give every month - Advantage not so much if you thankfully live in an area with not much "action".

I've been getting Heartgard, etc. from AU for at least 15 years with no problems. The Heartgard is made by Merial and exactly identical to what my vet sells except the weight is by kg and the Merial plant is in NSW AU. My vets have no problem with my ordering stuff made by Merial and Bayer from AU, but then they are also more than happy to call in any human type meds like pred, tramadol and methocarbomal into Sams - they'll get out the $4 list to consult. They're just rebels I guess. Heck, they only test for HW every 2 years if the dog is on Heartgard, etc. year around.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest starbuck

I realize I posted earlier about never having any problems with Trifexis, but we just gave Starbuck her monthly dose the other day, and she spent the morning throwing up. Now, it's pertinent to note that I'm usually the pill giver, and I make sure she has a full stomach before I give it to her. This time, however, my husband gave it to her early on an empty stomach, and it was bad news for everyone.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I got tired of trying to find preventatives that cover everything, so I use Interceptor Spectrum(rounds, hooks, whips, tapes, and heartworms) and Certifect(Fleas and ticks) once a month. They are given at the same time on the same day and no adverse effects, other than I don't have any parasites or blood suckers latching onto my dogs!

I get my goodies from www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com fast delivery, and their products have always worked for me!

Thanks for the site, I have also heard that deadfleaz.com is good (They're Australian, so no rx) Does comfortis work on ticks?

ETA: Has anyone ever heard/used this? Seems too cheap but it's ivermectin http://www.bestvaluepetsupplies.com/user/121142440/web/121142440_details.asp?ItemID=18044&CatName=&SubCatName=

I've used ValueHeart before. It is more inexpensive because it is just ivermectin. Heartgard plus and several other "plus" wormers have pyrantel in addition to the ivermectin. However, one vet I know swears Heartgard plus is the most overpriced racket on the planet and you are better off using something like Valueheart and worming occasionally with a broad spectrum wormer. :dunno

ETA - That site is sort of creeping me out a bit. Their price on Heartgard is scary cheap ($27.50 for 6 large dog) and I wanted to ask where it is manufactured. There appears to be no way to contact them via phone only e-mail.

Edited by Hubcitypam

Jen, so you feel it's safe to use Tick collars? Is there a brand you'd recommend to use along with Trifexis--cost isn't a big concern? Do I get them from my vet or at the store? After years of using Frontline Plus & Intecepter, I found out the hard way that Frontline doesn't work for fleas here, so I'm using Trifexis. I was told never to use a flea collar by my first adoption group, but maybe they were wrong or things have changed in 10+ years.

I actually haven't used any of the tick collars on my own dogs, but many here have used Preventic collars on their greyhounds with no problems. I've also heard good reviews on Preventic collars in general, thought the vet community, and that's the one I would recommend and would use on my dogs if I ever needed it.

And yes, Comfortis and Trifexis seem to be much more effective than any of the topical products against fleas here. The new formula Merial just came out with called Frontline Tritak seems to be pretty effective and is supposed to be better at controlling both fleas and ticks, but I prefer to wait until a new product has been out longer before recommending it. I did use a dose of Frontline Tritak on a rescue whippet I just took in who'd been running loose for several months. He had a couple ticks on him, and I wanted to make sure we took care of any we might have missed. He didn't have any problems with it.

Certifect, which is also made by Merial and has been out a little longer than Tritak is more effective against ticks, but works the same as Frontline against fleas. I haven't heard of many people using Certifect in greyhounds, and it's good to hear that it's been fine for some (thanks, Bean_Scotch!).

I realize I posted earlier about never having any problems with Trifexis, but we just gave Starbuck her monthly dose the other day, and she spent the morning throwing up. Now, it's pertinent to note that I'm usually the pill giver, and I make sure she has a full stomach before I give it to her. This time, however, my husband gave it to her early on an empty stomach, and it was bad news for everyone.

Yup, giving it on a full stomach is important for a couple reasons. It helps prevent vomiting, and a full stomach is also needed for optional absorption. If you give Comfortis or Trifexis on an empty stomach, even if the dog doesn't vomit, it won't be absorbed as well and may not last the whole month. The rep told us that when not given with food, the efficacy against fleas only lasted about 3 weeks.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I actually haven't used any of the tick collars on my own dogs, but many here have used Preventic collars on their greyhounds with no problems. I've also heard good reviews on Preventic collars in general, thought the vet community, and that's the one I would recommend and would use on my dogs if I ever needed it.

Thanks.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Clawsandpaws

ETA - That site is sort of creeping me out a bit. Their price on Heartgard is scary cheap ($27.50 for 6 large dog) and I wanted to ask where it is manufactured. There appears to be no way to contact them via phone only e-mail.

That's annoying, but then again, they are based in Switzerland so maybe they don't want an an English speaker to call and not be able to communicate!

That's annoying, but then again, they are based in Switzerland so maybe they don't want an an English speaker to call and not be able to communicate!

I'd bet dollars to donuts most Swiss in the business world speak English.

They are based in AU (given away by the term "expry date"). We all have comfort levels. I have a comfort level in buying AU made Heartgard made by Merial from a company that has an address and a toll free number phone number where I can talk to someone (on Aussie hours, but that works for me). Not so sure about an Aussie company that has no listed phone and operates only via e-mail through what is probably a P.O. box in Switzerland to add a layer between them and authorities. This is what I received from them today -

"HI,

The Heartgard we have is the USA packaging manufactured in the USA - the exact same product you get at your local vets. We have been importing for over 10 years with an import permit. We cannot sell here in Australia, incorrect packaging but we supply customers in the USA."

Is there really THAT much incorrect packaging?????

Guest Clawsandpaws

I'd bet dollars to donuts most Swiss in the business world speak English.

They are based in AU (given away by the term "expry date"). We all have comfort levels. I have a comfort level in buying AU made Heartgard made by Merial from a company that has an address and a toll free number phone number where I can talk to someone (on Aussie hours, but that works for me). Not so sure about an Aussie company that has no listed phone and operates only via e-mail through what is probably a P.O. box in Switzerland to add a layer between them and authorities. This is what I received from them today -

"HI,

The Heartgard we have is the USA packaging manufactured in the USA - the exact same product you get at your local vets. We have been importing for over 10 years with an import permit. We cannot sell here in Australia, incorrect packaging but we supply customers in the USA."

Is there really THAT much incorrect packaging?????

That is scary, lol. I have used Deadfleaz.com, never had an issue. The pres of my adoption group swears by them and gets all the flea meds for the kennel dogs there

I've used Best Value Pet Supplies for years without a problem. Fast shipping and I always get exactly what I ordered. Several friends use them too and no complaints.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05