New Grey Help - Worries

Guest dsturge26

Guest dsturge26

Hey All,

Just joined GT and I have to say, from what I've read I'm pretty excited! Now to my questions...

My fiancé and I recently adopted a new Grey (2/8/13) named Penny. When we met her at the kennel she was full of energy and when outside she played with all of the other Greys. Unfortunately when we got her home, she has seemingly no energy and shows almost no emotion to anything (except maybe fear). We try to get her to play with toys but she just ignores them and mostly ignores us. The only thing she does play with is random items left on the floor and only when we leave the room. She'll pick up a t-shirt, a blanket, of a sock off of the floor and start jumping around and playing with it. But if we walk back in the room she drops it and acts like she was never playing at all.

Another worry is the dog park. When we have taken her to the local dog park, she becomes very defensive and antisocial. She often just wanders off on her own to the most remote corners of the park and doesn't show much interest in the other dogs (like she did at the kennel). When another dog does approach her, she freezes and occasionally growls and snips at the dog (with her muzzle on). What's odd though, is that we also have an apartment dog park at our complex and when she is in it with just one other dog, she seems to have a blast.

We are wondering if she either scared and doesn't like us, that's just her personality, or maybe she's still settling into her new home.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks guys!

Drew

Well, lots of greys don't play with toys at all, it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Being energetic when let out of the kennel and playing with other greys is a totally different thing. She may well be still adjusting but she may not ever play with toys, though she will probably warm up over time. My girl is happy as a clam but she won't ever play with a toy with me; once in a while she chomps a stuffie for a minute or so, but that's it.

Hard to say for sure about the dog park, but not all dogs/greys do well in it. Remember she hasn't been with non-greys at all prior to getting adopted, and non-greys are quite different in behavior. You might want to stay away for now or go at off-times where you can be alone or just with one or two other dogs there. Many on this board are very anti-dog park; I am not, BUT I really avoid busy times. Have you had her at a playdate with other greys? This may be easy or hard to find depending on where you live, but if you post in the Introduction section with your location in your subject line you'll turn up other GreyTalkers in your area and learn about what's going on.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest DeniseL

Other, much more experienced owners will chime in, however, I will say that it sounds very much like Miami when we first brought him home. He was energetic and full of life at the kennel, everyone loved him. At home he was a zombie. For months. And he was a bit fear aggressive. All I can say is to give her lots and lots of time. And space. Her whole world has changed. Miami was so scared he just shut down. It took him many months to settle and become the dog he is today. I have no doubt he will continue to change even more as time goes by.

I thought he hated us, but he was just so confused and overwhelmed. Now he follows me around the house :) But it was a slow road with lots of ups and downs. Im sure your girl will come around.... :)

Guest DeniseL

Oh, and just keep in mind that some greys are much more subtle in their affection....instead of wagging his tail and jumping all over me, miami might just walk over, give a tail wag and that's it. That's his way of saying I happy you are here. Or he will just lay on the bed and watch me as I move about the house or as I get ready for work, or follow me from room to room...that's how he shows me that he loves me and wants to be close to me. They are just more reserved in my opinion than some other breeds....

She just needs time to adjust to home life. Patience is the key. Some greyhounds take longer to adjust than others. Remember, she's only been around greyhounds all her life. Other breeds may scare her. I would not muzzle her at the dog park. You leave her no way to defend herself should another dog start a fight. If she's happier playing one on one, that's what I'd do until she is more settled. She'll adjust in her own time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She sounds like a perfectly normal greyhound to me. She was fine and happy in the kennel because that environment was what she had known her whole life - from the time she was born until she walked into your home. Now, EVERYTHING is different and new and scary and unfamiliar and she's having a hard time making the switch. Give her plenty of time, and patience, and calm support and leadership.

If you can see the dog park is overwhelming her, don't take her back there. Long leash walks will tire her out just as effectively, and have the added benefit of helping you all bond. She doesn't *need* to run to be happy.

Congrats and good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sounds like Paige. Took her a month or so to reach out to me, but it's only really at the year + mark that she's come fully out of her shell and become a cheeky little monkey who rules our home. Very different to Brandi who has been frantic in her attention seeking from day one.

Give her time. Watch for subtle hints. It might be only that she lies closer to you, or walks over to lean on you, or sighs when she sees you. Or the single tail wag.

You'll know when she finally realizes that you guys are her humans and that she's home. These ones are the rewarding ones!

Sounds like my Peggy in her first weeks too. Remember they have just lost everything that was familiar to them.

It will take a while for the wide-open eye behaviour to soften.

Some of us are able to use Calming Signals to help our dogs... the dogs know them anyway but it is the humans who have to try to stay on the same page. A basic one you can send your dog to confirm that you kind of can talk 'dog language' when she looking at you all worried or well out of it is: 'Lick. YAWN, and look away'. See the link.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

In time she will approach you subtly and you can build upon that.

Guest IrskasMom

Welcome to GT and the wonderful World of Greys . :wave:wave:wave Penny's World has just been turned upside down. Patience and Time , I mean lots of Time is what's needed . Month and maybe more to get her comfortable and beeing confident. Dogparks are just not such a good Idea and especially not with a Muzzle on ( she can't defend herself ) . I have my Boy over 7 Years and in the Dogpark , he sniffs the Perimeter and then hides behind me . He gets nothing out of it. He to will not run with any other Dog (nongreys ) around.

Give it more time and as said patience and Penny will be alright.Keep us posted .

Edited by IrskasMom

No special advice, just want to say that my Henry was the same way. It took him many months, several obedience classes, and a TON of desensitization before his true personality started coming out. Almost three years later, he's still surprising me. I hope that in time, you'll share my belief that the shy ones are completely worth it. :)

First, welcome, and if nobody else mentioned it above, we need pictures! :)

Then, what everybody else said above. Sounds like a typical Greyhound in a new home/environment. When I adopted Annie 20 months ago I was told it could take 6 months or more for her true personality to show. It's a good thing they said, "Or more," because it was that and even more. She's still changing and all for the better. It took her a few months post-adoption to show enthusiasm when I came in the door, and even now, her enthusiasm is controlled. She's not a jumpy, gosh-you're-home-I'm-so-HAPPY type dog. She will trot to the door when I return and gently wiggle her bottom, give a small smile and gently shove her head into my hands, but it's only about 30 seconds of greeting and she's back to her bed.

Many Greys love to cuddle on a couch or bed. Annie has never been on anything and has no interest, so we never cuddle. What she does do is come to me when I call or on her own and push her head between my knees so I can give her a good neck scratch/rub as well as pet and rub her up and down her sides. She'll stand there for as long as I let her.

She didn't play with her toys for almost a year and even now, her interest is sporadic and is usually associated with her impatience when I ask, "Wanna got for a walk?" but don't move quickly enough to suit her.

I don't often do dog parks because this quiet, calm, nursing home therapy dog can become too assertive. Annie likes to challenge other dogs to run and then cut them off, often causing them to trip and fall down I'm afraid somebody will get hurt. She doesn't do this with other Greyhounds, though.

My advice is: relax and have patience. It will all fall into place. The more time you spend together, the more she will rely on you to be the center of her life. If you read your above post a few months from now, you'll see how far you all have come.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One thing to realize is that greyhounds speak true dog language, all other domesticated dogs dont. Dogs that grow up in homes are taught not to growl, lick people's faces and that its not a bad thing to run up to another dogs face to meet them. All of these things are considered agressive acts in true pack animals. Dogs naturally meet nose to butt, not nose to nose. The latter is a challenge. So realize that some of your hounds "agressive" behavior is not agression at all, but either corrections for poor behavior on the other dog's part, or simply being scared because of perceived challenges from other dogs. As others have said, greyhounds have never lived or known other breeds. This is why your hound was so happy at the kennels when around other greyhounds. Also, realize you have a sighthound, not a retreiver. They dont play like other dogs. They chase. I agree that the dog park is over stimulating your hound and its probably not a good idea to go to the park for a while (maybe a year or more). Find out if the group you adopted from has play dates or meet n greets, your hound will enjoy those things much more.

Enjoy the ride, greyhounds are such a unique and wonderful breed.

Guest Firedancer

Our sweet Dancer played for the first time last night. We've had her for 4 months now. She's just way mellow and this is jer nature.

One thing to realize is that greyhounds speak true dog language, all other domesticated dogs dont. Dogs that grow up in homes are taught not to growl, lick people's faces and that its not a bad thing to run up to another dogs face to meet them. All of these things are considered agressive acts in true pack animals. Dogs naturally meet nose to butt, not nose to nose. The latter is a challenge. So realize that some of your hounds "agressive" behavior is not agression at all, but either corrections for poor behavior on the other dog's part, or simply being scared because of perceived challenges from other dogs. As others have said, greyhounds have never lived or known other breeds. This is why your hound was so happy at the kennels when around other greyhounds. Also, realize you have a sighthound, not a retreiver. They dont play like other dogs. They chase. I agree that the dog park is over stimulating your hound and its probably not a good idea to go to the park for a while (maybe a year or more). Find out if the group you adopted from has play dates or meet n greets, your hound will enjoy those things much more.

Enjoy the ride, greyhounds are such a unique and wonderful breed.

This person hit the nail on the head! Greys are typically well-behaved bc they haven't been spoiled like most house dogs. Dancer still barks and growls at other dogs but is a sweetie and almost boring at home. Because she likes to chase things that move, we started getting her play with my daughter's ZhuZhu pets. These are little hamster toys that make noises and move around the room. She chases them and bring them back to her bed-then we take it away and give her one of her own toys to chew up or a bone. The Zhuzhu probably isn't safe to chew. Good luck and give your sweet addition time.

I've had my dog for five years, and he's probably "played" less than an hour, total, in five years. He just isn't that kind of dog.

I could NEVER take him to a dog park. He is what they call a "breed snob." He is very aggressive towards all dogs that are not Greyhounds, but loves all Greyhounds without exception immediately! There have been three dogs he liked--my parents, but only after six hours muzzled in THEIR house, and bizarrely he fell head over heels in love with a lady Shepherd that used to live in my building (who has since died of Osteo believe it or not).

Your dog is really too new to your household to be taking her to the park. You'll bond more with her and get some training in if you take her on long walks. And take her on car rides, take her to pet stores, stuff like that. New experiences that aren't too intense are better for her. You have to remember it's ALL new to her.

If you were looking for a rough and tumble dog who wants to play fetch and such, I'm afraid you probably got the wrong breed. Most Greyhounds are perfectly happy sleeping most of the day, as long as they also get plenty of belly rubs, food, and blankets to snuggle in!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Your dog is settling in. I think its important to open up your dog to new things, but perhaps you are moving too fast for your hound. Walter used to play exactly how you describe, he would wait until I'd leave and start playing furiously by himself, but as soon as I would pop in to watch him, he would stop and slink away to lay down. I've had him for nearly two years and we can now play together. Give your hound some time and let Penny get comfortable on her own timeline.

Edited by WalterWallerson

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

Guest karilynn

Totally agree with all of the advice here. These dogs can take a genuinely long amount of time to settle in and show their true colors. I've had my boy for a year exactly as a yesterday and he still surprises me. He was a very slow adjuster, but now he plays to his hearts content. I actually had the exact same experience - he was outgoing when I went to pick him out and then he was very afraid in my home for months and months. I had the exact same concerns you do, but I PROMISE, they do come out of their shells! For me personally, the dog park has been an absolute blessing and the reason why my boy is so outgoing and confident now. (note: this isn't going to be the same for every greyhound, some hounds genuinely do not do well at dog parks and don't benefit from them at all)

I've taken him to the dog park since the month I got him - probably wasn't the wisest decision, but I knew he had no prey drive. He was so timid and scared at the dog park at first and refused to socialize with any dogs for the first few months. The only reason I kept going is because I met another lady there with a greyhound and she had the exact same experience. She said that when she started bringing her grey, Willow, to the park, she was reserved, too. She said she just kept going and her dog's behavior was a true testimonial to what the dog park had done for her. She was totally outgoing, played with every dog there, ran and ran and ran. She told me to keep coming and eventually Bullet (my boy) would be the same. I was skeptical, but she was actually right. (and like I said, I'm not saying this applies to every greyhound) but over time, he completely came out of his shell, learned to like all kinds of dogs. He LOVES his time at the dog park. I truly believe it was the best thing I could have done for him to socialize him (aside from training) and I'm glad I kept going.

Here is a picture of him a year ago (on the left) Shy and reserved at the dog park and then a picture of him now, totally confident and outgoing:

581587_10100538808621992_1910144061_n.jp

Guest blueberri

It takes them a while to figure out what the rules are of this new, foreign environment. It takes them a while to figure out that you're the new daddy/mommy, and through you comes good things. The trust builds slowly, as does their comfort with the new routine and environment. Through being consistent, gentle, having a sense of humour and gently setting boundaries, you will form your bond.

I've found that it is unnecessary to do anything other than a short low growl to correct/cease bad behaviour in our grey, and have seen more than this having quite a devestating impact, so correct, but gently. In obedience class we were taught that if you were telling your dog "no" (via low short growl), follow it up with a "yes", ie if you're telling him not to jump up on the bed, follow it up with a "sit" or some such similar command that you have learned, so it reinforces the positive in the r/ship and encourages the good behaviour and what is expected of him. We've also used it to reduce anxiety, that telling our boy to sit helps him know what to do in uncertain situations, and alleviates his stress.

The other thing is positive reinforcement. I taught Sparky how to play fetch through playing with a dental chew toy, and praise praise praise whenever he brought it to me. Now we can play with a chuckit, or soccer ball, and he just lights up. It was through learning fetch that we bonded and started having fun together. For you it might be walks, or swims at the local pond... just spending time together builds that bond up beautifully.

Re the park dogs, this explains it better than anything else I've read: http://www.suzanneclothier.com/the-articles/he-just-wants-say-hi I very quickly learned that my dog's behaviour was actually entirely appropriate, and while I still removed him from the situation, I would talk positively and pat to reinforce that he hadn't done anything wrong. If a dog is anything other than calm, we do staged introductions and find this works beautifully.

All the best xxx.

Sounds like my Peggy in her first weeks too. Remember they have just lost everything that was familiar to them.

It will take a while for the wide-open eye behaviour to soften.

Some of us are able to use Calming Signals to help our dogs... the dogs know them anyway but it is the humans who have to try to stay on the same page. A basic one you can send your dog to confirm that you kind of can talk 'dog language' when she looking at you all worried or well out of it is: 'Lick. YAWN, and look away'. See the link.

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

In time she will approach you subtly and you can build upon that.

So true!

I think you have a normal greyhound, she will show her true colors one day, we just have to be patient with them.

Dogs don't know how to play it's something that you teach. I would just try to gain her trust, lots of rewards for coming to you :)