Plummer's Cough

Video is terrible but you can hear Plummer hack.

Originally, I thought he has tummy issues, he still might. He started to vomit a couple of weeks ago and I changed his food to Sensitive stomach.

Took him to vet on Monday and planned to continue on sensitive food and Zantac .75 2x a day.

However, last night he did not vomit but hacked. He hacks maybe 1x or 2x a day.

I am forwarding video to Vet tomorrow.

I posted here as we have such wise and informative people. I will mention Plummer will be 13 in June.

Any ideas, has anyone experienced this with their grey?

Laryngeal paralysis? My guy (13 in May) has some occasional events like this. There's a recent thread about this and about the advantages of surgery. That was on a dog that was nearly 13, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've seen a few old labs do the same thing. It's almost like they're clearing their throat. My suspicion is that it might be an early or mild case of laryngeal paralysis, as Kathy suggested. But in the cases I've seen, it doesn't always progress so it might not be anything to get too concerned about. Let us know what your vet says too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I was going to suggest seasonal allergies, as all my animals are having problems right now, coughing, sneezing, reverse sneezing (never knew cats could reverse sneeze) eyes watering, even ones who have never reacted to seasonal allergies before. However, I see you are in NJ, so probably not much pollen floating around in your area yet!

OMG, Dylan does the same thing!! He's been checked out by 2 different vets and they both said its not LP. He has no trouble breathing, exercising, and he will be 12 in a few weeks. He's been doing it for almost 2 years. Scares the bejeezes out of me when he does it. I can see phlegm in his throat/mouth. Very thick like. Every time I want to record him, he doesn't do it. :)

OMG, Dylan does the same thing!! He's been checked out by 2 different vets and they both said its not LP. He has no trouble breathing, exercising, and he will be 12 in a few weeks. He's been doing it for almost 2 years. Scares the bejeezes out of me when he does it. I can see phlegm in his throat/mouth. Very thick like. Every time I want to record him, he doesn't do it. :)

:nod My senior, Zeke-aroni, did this for a very long time as well, in all seasons. It wasn't LP for him, either - I have an LP hound, the sounds are not the same. It sounded as tho there was something stuck, way back in Zeke's throat, but we could never, ever find any reason for the yakking. I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

If you're seeing phlegm in his throat, it's not LP. Allergies, maybe, but not LP. LP has to do with the larynx closing and not reopening properly (I think); the tieback surgery permanently stitches open the larynx on one side. Problem is--then the larynx can't close when it needs to--such as when the dog is choking on food.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BlueCrab

Can't get the video to open (work computer...), but when our Leyland (non-grey) developed a hacking cough and then over the course of that week became listless and went off his feed, the ensuing vet visit found congenstive heart failure. Not to freak anyone out, but if there are other symptoms such as listlessness, retention of fluid / unexplained weight gain, labored breathing, please keep CHF in mind. Leyland's doing well now (diagnosis was early February 2013) but is on a collection of meds that he'll have to stay on for the rest of his life.

There is a lot I suspect, but today, no hacking and I am taking one day at a time.

Bluecrab could you tell me what meds your pupper is on for CHF? How was CHF diagnosed, what tests were performed?

We had a Dobe with CHF and his 'hack' was not like Plummers at all.

Plummers sounds more 'digestive' then 'pulmonary' to me.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Our 12 y/o Spencer does this too and has for several years. We had him checked for LP while he was under for a dental, and the vet said it's not LP. We don't know what it is, but in Spencer's case there's no vomiting. I have noticed thick saliva at times, and the behavior does seem to decrease after dentals, but we don't know why.

Does Plummer have any history of worms, perchance? Some worms, like hooks (which Spencer has a permanent case of), migrate to the lungs. The dogs cough them up and swallow them, which sends them back to the tummy and so on. Other than that, we've considered allergies too, but we're not sure.

You have my sympathies, as I know how disturbing it is to see them do this and not be able to help. I'll just reiterate that our boy has done it for years, the hacking anyway, and is still here.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I had his stool tested, no parasites, Yesterday he hacked, with no vomit, today different story.

I have changed his food to sensitive, and give him Zantac .75.

I give him chop meat with rice and kibble, small meals.

I will talk to vet tomorrow, don't know if she wants to see 2nd video I took, very, very vomit graphic!!!!

I'd want to see the 2nd video. Was it true vomiting, with an abdominal component and 'heaving' prior? Or was it regurgitation from the esophagus where the food just comes out with little effort (more like a baby spitting up)?

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Both of my boys do the same thing. Fuzzy more than Paul and more at night than during the day. Our vet took a chest x-ray of Fuzzy and he said there was some congestion and he thought bronchial allergies. Sometimes he can go for days and not cough and then spend an entire night coughing. As long as he doesn't seem sick, I am not going to test him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hard swallowing, then the hack and projectile vomit. :) sorry

Can't really tell from that description if it was vomiting or regurg. Both can be projectile. The distinguishing factor is whether there is an abdominal component. If it's regurg and continues to happen, might be a good idea to do a chest x-ray to look for megaesophagus.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Vet also mentioned that it could be megaesophagus, which when I researched sounds exactly what Plummer has. Is anyone familiar with this or has a grey with this?

Would love some suggestions.

So tonight I started a protocol that is followed for Megaesophagus.

Smaller, more frequent, thickened, meals.

Try to keep from laying down after eating, (yeah right)

Priosic 2x daily

Limited water

Praying that by Tues. this could be under control.

http://www.petcarenaturally.com/articles/megaesophagus.php

Edited by msjpk

Make sure you get the x-ray all the way from the throat down to the stomach (and maybe beyond). Don't want to frighten you, but Batman had a couple regurgitation incidents prior to his diagnosis with a mass compressing the bottom of his esophagus. Really hope that is not your boy's case. Fingers and toes crossed for something simpler!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.