New Treat Recipe, Simba And Stella Approved

Guest Vers

So, Jessica from Notes from a Dog Walker sent out a recipe for Tuna Fudge earlier this week, and of course, I can't leave a good recipe well enough alone. I like kitchen experiments, I finally have a weekend off, and as usual my hounds told me to cook for them.

So, loosely inspired by Tuna Fudge, here's my recipe for sardine treats.

Sardine and Cheese Balls
Makes approximately 300 (25 dozen) treats (halve the recipe if you don't have multiple hounds or give treats to all the neighborhood dogs :) )

6 eggs
5 cans sardines in water, undrained
1/4 cup safflower or vegetable oil
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2 cups quick rolled oats
3 cups+ all-purpose white flour

Mix sardines, eggs and oil. Stir in cheese, then oats. Add flour a cup at a time, mixing thoroughly; continue to add flour gradually until dough becomes stiff.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small balls (dusting dough and hands with a bit more flour can make this easier) and flatten into cookies. Place on baking sheet covered with foil (treats can be placed closely since they don't spread during cooking) and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, then lower heat to 300 and continue baking for another 20 or 30 minutes until treats are crunchy/dry (not spongy in the middle) and slightly toasted. Let cool completely, then store in freezer up to six months, or fridge for a week.

Alternative to rolling all those pesky little balls (my back was giving out, so I tried this for the second batch), roll dough out to a little less than 1/4" thick, then score into 3/4" squares with a knife. Bake as above.

Next time I make these, I might increase the cheese and sardines a little bit, but these are already an eye-rolling hit with Simba and Stella. I'll be giving some to a couple neighbors for their dogs for their review, too. If you happen to make these, I'd love to know how they worked for you and any adjustments you made. Bone appetit!

These sound really good (YKWIM :lol ) I'm going to try these for the campers. Think it would work if I just pressed the dough into a jelly roll pan and adjusted the cooking time? :chow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'll bet they are, erm, fragrant! :lol

I was expecting that, too, but compared to the dehydrated beef liver or liver brownies I often make, these are much, much easier on the olfactory sense :) Glad to actually have a treat recipe that's more acceptable to company if I make it when it's still cold and the windows are closed (don't come by my house tomorrow -- there is beef liver in the fridge that will be turned into treats tomorrow and that "fragrance" is overwhelming).

These sound really good (YKWIM :lol ) I'm going to try these for the campers. Think it would work if I just pressed the dough into a jelly roll pan and adjusted the cooking time? :chow

Jan, hello fellow homecooked treat friend! I think I do in fact know just what you mean :) I don't know the size of a jelly roll pan, but as long as you can get the dough pressed fairly thin and score it before baking, it should work. With the quantities I listed above, you might need to do a couple baking batches and once the batch is cooked through at 350, just keep in the oven on lower temp until it dries thoroughly. I'll bet your campers will love these, not that they're not already spoiled enough!

(I just really like cooking treats that give my hounds the crazy googly eyes :P )

Jan, hello fellow homecooked treat friend! I think I do in fact know just what you mean :) I don't know the size of a jelly roll pan, but as long as you can get the dough pressed fairly thin and score it before baking, it should work. With the quantities I listed above, you might need to do a couple baking batches and once the batch is cooked through at 350, just keep in the oven on lower temp until it dries thoroughly. I'll bet your campers will love these, not that they're not already spoiled enough!

(I just really like cooking treats that give my hounds the crazy googly eyes :P )

:blush It's nice to be back, thank you :) A jelly roll pan is something like 15-1/2 x 10-3/4 x 1/2 or so - the dough could be fairly thin. This is next week's project, thanks! And, btw, where are the pics of those googly eyed hounds enjoying these treats?? :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Theresa, these should work with any type of flour since the cookies don't need to rise; I may try oat, rice or spelt flour next time, but these were made with what I had in the house (who but a greyhound owner has multiple cans of sardines in the house, I wonder?).

Jan, no googly pics of this cooking or eating adventure yet -- my camera is full of Simba roaching (seldom seen from my huge hound) and then the cable went missing. Looking at you, long dog.... and you too, cat.

However, the good news is that these treats helped Simba have a wonderful first walk with my neighbor's new Golden pup. They will be BFF now because of stinky fishes treats. Proud of my boy! The Golden is in training to be a service dog, and with his owner's permission I just gave them a bag of these treats to use in their classes. Win :)

Guest TheModernMutt

Dear sweet cheesus.

Do you bake the sardines whole? You dont chop them up or anything?

I'm picturing a little sardine head sticking out the side of the treat......

Guest BooneTia

Well, they're done and they are a HUGE Hit!!!! :yay:yay:yay I didn't get as many as I thought. I think I made them a little large, but they look wonderful!! I used gloves to make them since I mixed them by hand to break up the sardines and it was a bit less messy when rolling them. Thanks for posting the recipe!!

Guest BooneTia

I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes when i posted about this on FB. It was a great treat that my dogs loved and I wanted to share. If I upset anyone I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

Not upset -- please don't think that -- I'm really, really happy you shared! I posted the recipe here so other people's hounds could enjoy these treats, and I'm honestly grateful you posted about your success with them for Josie's birthday here and on Facebook (I don't spend much time at all on FB). So, you helped the sharing by posting there -- thank you! I only followed up there to make it easier for folks to find the recipe. If I invent another recipe, I hope you'll try it and share it again, okay? :)

My only goal is more happy hounds :) You helped with that!

Edited by Vers

I've made sardine treats with cheese - a little different to these. I use sardines in oil, and I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil, and parmesan instead of mozzarella, and a mix of wholemeal, rice and ordinary self-rising flours, but no oats. My dogs LOVE them. They even got Jeffie used to eating sardines in his dinner, which he used to refuse!

Might try them with mozzarella next time.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I made these today and the pups love them. I went with the easy version though and substituted sardines for the tuna.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Dear sweet cheesus.

Do you bake the sardines whole? You dont chop them up or anything?

I'm picturing a little sardine head sticking out the side of the treat......

I am wondering about this, too. Are the sardines whole?

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

I am wondering about this, too. Are the sardines whole?

:lol no I mashed them up like you would tuna and salmon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:lol no I mashed them up like you would tuna and salmon.

You very kind people are actually teaching me how to write a recipe :rofl

Yes, where I said, Mix sardines, eggs and oil >>>>> Mash sardines and eggs together until well blended, then stir in oil.

Oh, and canned sardines are headless, sadly. I could buy smelt.... no, don't give me ideas like that.