The Wait May Be Over. Help!

Guest psdirector

Guest psdirector

We have been in the process of adopting two greyhounds for a couple of months. A week ago we found out that we were being considered for two litter mates, but they needed to be cat tested. This past Thursday they were cat tested - one is completely cat safe and the other was a interested in a friendly way, then ignored the cat. So it appears they are both cat safe. We were waiting on word of our home visit. So I got the call this evening to set up our home visit and was asked, "Are you still interested in the two litter mates ... yadda yadda yadda ... how about if we bring your dogs this Friday so you have the weekend before you go to work?" My jaw hit the floor. Not because we don't want them (we do, very much) and not because we are not ready - with the exception of crate pads and baby gates we have everything. We've read and re-read the books. We peruse this website like it's our (second) job. I felt so confident about the whole thing earlier in the day and now I'm really scared. What do we do? Where do we start? How do I make sure we don't make any mistakes with our boys? How soon do we start alone training? What do we do to make sure they don't eat the cats? When we go back to work, do we crate them? What do you leave in a crate besides a frozen Kong? Water? Do we put the crates in our bedroom or do we just let them sleep on their beds in our bedrooms? How do we keep them from eating the sofa? What's not safe around our house? (Got to get those cabinet latches installed ASAP!)

Is it normal to be nervous? Seriously, I had this whole thing in hand before the telephone call. Now it seems so... real! We are excited, but I think we are both in shock that it's finally, really happening. The dogs won't be videos on YouTube - they will be real, breathing, eating, sleeping dogs living right here in our house. We put two of the lovely beds we bought in our family room and they look so huge.

We are adopting two beautiful boys - one is black and one is white with black spots and ticking. Excited, scared, nervous... oh, boy!

You've been on this site for ages. You know (in theory) the answer to all of your questions. You're going to be fine.

Breathe!

I had second thoughts before number one arrived. And then when number 2 arrived (and for some time after number 2). They are now my best friends, irreplaceable, my heart and soul, and I couldn't be without them.

You will make mistakes. We all do. But you will not make an irreversable ones. You will concentrate on the basics: get them settled, get to know them, don't rush, be hypervigilant about safety. And by this time next week, you will be posting about the first roach, the first pee in the house, the first pee outside the house, the rooing, the 'OMG they wake up so early!', the 'unable to walk anywhere without being interrupted', the velcro dog syndrome, the 'they're so quiet I think they hate me' feeling, the 'they won't stop eating', the 'they won't start eating', and all of the 'what does this mean' stuff.

And you will be besotted.

So pleased for you!

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. Calm down. Deep breath! Everything's going to be fine!

Greyhounds are special but they ARE still dogs! They'll have each other and they'll have you and their new home. Things will be a bit up in the air at first - just roll with the punches, laugh a lot, and take a TON of pictures! These first few days will never happen again, and you will come to treasure these photos.

#1 Set up the cats in a room the dogs won't be able to get to - shut them in and shut the door when you bring the dogs home. Make sure your home has hiding places and escape routes in and out of every room - pull the furniture a little away from the wall or lift the baby gates 4-5 inches off the floor so the cats can get under but the dogs can't. Leave the cat introductions for a day or two while your boys get used to the new place. Then, it's muzzles on for the dogs until you KNOW the cats are safe - which could take a couple days. Short spaces of time together followed by decompression time apart. You should be fine.

#2 Start alone training the first day. Wait until they've settled down, then be very casual and just leave for a few minutes. Whether you crate them or not, and where that happens is up to you and your situation. You just have to establish a calm and matter of fact routine for leaving AND coming home. If you do crate, make sure they can see each other when they are crated.

It's completely normal to be nervous! Then, they'll be home and you won't have time to be! Congrats and ENJOY IT!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest twogreytkids

I adopted my first one in 1986 and I still go through the same emotions before the next one comes into my house.

Being nervous and excited is just part of the fun of bringing in two boys that will be just as nervous and excited as you are.

Just take a deep breath. You are prepared.

Guest PhillyPups

1. Breathe in breathe out

2. Have crates set up

3. Breathe in breathe out

4. Have beds ready

5. Breathe in breathe out

6. Have food (preferably what they are used to eating

7. Breathe in breathe out

8. Have tag collars and ID tags with cell phone numbers on them (if one gets loose, you will most likely not be home to answer the phone)

9. Breathe in breathe out

Relax, enjoy, you and they will be fine. Just as you will be getting used to having the pups in the house, they will be getting used to you.

None of us are "perfect" in life, we all do the best we can on any given day and learn by experience what not to do.

If you choose not to have them on the furniture, start on the first day. The rules you set down must be started from the getgo.

We will be here to walk this path with you, share our experience, strength and hope, but you have to share you hounds with us, that is the rule. Oh and have your camera handy at all times. :)

AND congrats!!

remember, breathe in, breathe out :)

Guest IrskasMom

I have followed your Post's from the beginning. We just about all have been there . Cold Feet and a little Panic. it all will fall into Place once they are with you. Alone Training right away and the rest takes time. Everything is NEW to them to , so it takes time and patience . Since you bring HOME two , it is already somewhat easier . Time , Time and Patience .

I can't wait for your Posts , of how good they are doing.

The panic and second thoughts are normal. I was so excited when we go our foster boy. Then the first two nights in cried in his crate for about an hour while we were in bed. I cried the second night. "I've wanted a dog my whole life and now I can't have one because I can't deal with it!" is what I told my boyfriend because I was tired and just wanted to sleep. We only had him 3 weeks and I just about cried when he left for his new home. The house felt so empty without him. We went out not even a week later and brought home Summit. He was a bounce that had lived with cats so I had no worries about him eating my rabbits, and he had no separation anxiety so I didn't worry about him getting us evicted from our rental.

Brought home Kili this fall. I was SO excited. I had been getting updates and photos from the breeder for 3 weeks. I could barely sleep the night before. I drove 3 hours to the breeder to get her. It took me more than 3 hours to get home as I stopped to visit friends and at DBF's work so he could meet her. I got all the way home and felt so good. Put her in her x-pen for the night and she spent almost ALL night screaming, throwing herself at the top of the x-pen (so the next night I switched to the crate). I just thought "Oh my god, what have I done? I can't have a puppy. I don't know what I'm doing. I have NO patience. What was I thinking?"

Breathe in. Breathe out. This too shall pass.

Alone training starts the second they walk in the door. Let them settle and get used to the place. Don't lavish attention on them. Don't be overly comforting if they are really needy, just be a calm and reassuring presence.

I would crate to keep the cats safe. Get a baby gate and gate off a room so the cats can get in and the dogs can't. Pull your furniture out about half a foot from the walls -- again so the cats can squeeze in but the dogs can't. Muzzle when the dogs are out of their crates and/or if you won't be closely supervising. Keep them on leashes with their muzzles on at first if you're really nervous.

Stuff Kongs every night before bed. Give them to the dogs in their crates as you head out the door. Leave a radio on. I recommend crating about 15-20 minutes before you anticipate walking out the door. Don't let them out or acknowledge them for 10-15 minutes after arriving home, or until they settle down and are calm (this was never an issue for any of our guys except the puppy at first). Feed meals in the crate for the first little while if they seem reluctant about the crates (note: reluctant means just that, if they're destroying crates or have severe anxiety you might need to investigate options other than the crate).

Breathe in. Breathe out. Most of these dogs are "plug and play" for the most part. Both our experiences with retired racers was like that. Sometimes there are problems but you're prepared for them. And the ones you're not prepared for you have the adoption group and GT for. Enjoy!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

What Kristie said is really important. You will inevitably have moments when you think, "Oh dear God, what have I done??" We seriously debated returning Henry (my heart dog, love of my life) because we didn't think WE were cut out to be dog owners. Truman gave me every problem in the book, and I've had my fair share of head-in-hands bawl sessions over him. It's a huge adjustment period for everyone, especially when they're whining, throwing tantrums, and testing your patience. Just try to be as consistent as possible.

:nod

I agree with all of the above.

We've had multiple large-breed dogs for 30+ years now and with the arrival of each and every one we've had the exact same thoughts as you and countless others.

So...yes....just BREATHE !!!

You'll be fine!!

And you know we WILL need pictures.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

There is a possibly that you won't have any issues at all. We've have/had 3 greyhounds and have never had issues. Never used muzzles, never had anything destroyed, no SA, health issues or resource guarding. Remember you hear a lot about issues because people come here for advice.

The error I see occasionally is that people forget they are dogs and do not allow them time to adjust, etc, then they need help. Have you read Kathleen Gilly's article? I've posted it below.

This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep. You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and everything else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, He won't tell "me when he has to go out. What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says "My name is No-No Bad " Dog. What's yours? To me that is not even funny. All the "protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this someone for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go through walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adopter when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped "with the social skills of a six-year old human. But you can help him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Definitely normal to be a bit panicky at this point. I know I was! I even made my DH take an entire week of vacation, when we got our first dog. After about an hour at home, Rascal had chased some toys in the backyard, found her dog bed, and was cockroached. :lol It was really rather anticlimactic.

Re: the cat thing....are these dogs in foster care? Ours were all fostered (except Jack, the handsome fellow in my avatar, WE were his 'foster home', a term I use loosely since I knew from the outset he'd be mine :wub:), 2 out of 3 with multiple cats. The one who wasn't fostered with cats was fine after about an hour in a muzzle, being told "NO CAT" when she even looked at them.

Like Jan, we had very few problems with any of our four. Greyhounds are awesome. We are now dogless, having lost Jack last November, for the first time since 2001. I miss them terribly. :(

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I don't have much to add because you already have a ton of good advice. I adopted 2 at once when I already had 2 non-greys. Turned out it was easy-peasy, but neither had SA. Chances are yours won't either. Put their crates next to each other. All I can add is just don't let them out of your sight when you are home (if they will let you out of their sight, lol). They can't have an accident or eat the sofa if someone is watching. You will be fine and love them like you didn't think was possible.

siggy2.jpg

Guest Doggone

I know how you feel. Last Friday, Autumn was "delivered" to me :). I've had multiple dogs and cats during my life, but all started off as puppies or kittens, and almost all were of the "who knows?" breed. This was my first grey, and my first adult adoption. For a short while, both her foster mom and the group's adoption coordinator were here, but when they left, the way I felt brought back memories of the hospital handing me my first child and sending me home (as if I knew what to do :D). Then, I was all of 22, and looking back, I'm somewhat amazed that he survived :D!

Well, just like my son, Autumn seems to be doing fine, in spite of any ignorance on my part! Don't worry, you'll do just fine, and those boys are going to be so lucky to get their new, loving, forever home together! :)

Guest psdirector

Thanks so much for all the great advice! We are starting to breathe - a bit.

Questions about crating - what do you put in the bottom of the crate? Crate pads seem so flimsy and are so expensive. Do you give them water in their crates? We have two Kongs ready for stuffing purposes. :kong Let me just say that those crates are really big! Finding room for two in our bedroom will definitely be a challenge - not impossible, but a challenge.

Oh this is gonna be SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

If you don't want to do crate pads......I just buy cheap ($10) comforters from BigLots & fold them up to bed size.

If you have a nester, he'll rearrange it to suit himself......if you get a shredder, well you'll probably curse my advice.

TWO BEAUTIFUL BOYS!!!!! I can't wait to see your posts this weekend.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

We use our one crate (for our puppy) as a bedside table. It's kind of big, but I "could" actually fit two in my bedroom that way. You may not end up crating for long, or at all, depending on your situation and preferences.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PhillyPups

I used a crate for Runner for 2 weeks, after that it stayed folded up under my bed. I do not own one now and there are 6 hounds laying all over the room around me in various positions of sleep. I do muzzle when I go out because of the numbers. I have babygated Deon when Moe was here for Moe's safety. I have not had issues with any of mine, but I still remember they are dogs and I tend not to let my guard down. :P

I agree that the crates may not be needed for too long, but because of the cats, you may want to keep them crated until you are totally comfortable. I've had three greyhounds that were never crated, one that was crated for about two weeks but really never needed to be, and one that has been crated still for over a year and a half; It totally depends on the dog. I put several layers of blankets & a comforter along with a water proof sheet topper in my girl's crate, and a hanging water dish, although she never drinks out of it.

Good luck, and you will do fine! :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I make no sew fleece blankets and use those in the crate. Easy to wash and easy to repair if ripped. Best of all, the dogs love them even when just thrown on the floor so they are multi use. Don't bother with expensive or beds that are hard to wash things in the crate, you will regret it.

Another possibility -- blankets/comforters from thrift store for bottom of crates. Plus something waterproof under the crate, like a plastic shower curtain. If they are wire crates, you can put an old door or something solid on top of the crates and use it as a high table/shelf. (Plus it will give the dogs a nice cozy "cave" atmosphere.) Friends of mine with Rottweilers crated their dogs during the day in the kitchen and built a DIY island that fit over the crates.

I've second-guessed myself so much before each one of mine arrived that I've almost thrown up. I've crated each of mine when they were new, but all did well uncrated so the foldable crate lives almost all the time in the garage, where it occasionally shifts and scares the @*#@ out of the garage door opener.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter