Bob And Shammy Just Sayin' Howdy!

Guest Pete

A few weeks ago and after a bunch of phone calls, emails and snail mails took a trip down to the Gulf Greyhound Park which is located just north of Galveston Island. We were finally going to go and pick our new greyhound. Momma insisted that our new addition was going to be a female. She raised three boys, several boy guinea pigs, a boy Labrador and yes; even the fish (Ralph) was a boy. She wanted a girl in the house.

When we got there we found our way to the adoption center and finally went down to the kennels. I asked that they let a bunch of them out into the run so that we could see them socialize which they were very happy to comply with. We watched them for a while and pretty soon a couple of them came smiling and prancing up to the gate where we were.

The first one that really caught our eye was Shammy, or Roc A By Shamwow. She was a sweet, small black brindle that was really just tugging at our hearts. We noted that she was in lock step with a huge tank of a dog named Video or Bob’s Video. He too was sweet and very, very interested in us. His markings, shape and bearing were magnificent I was just struck by this – The person running the program obviously knew a sucker when she saw one and planted the seed. “These two would really make a good pair…”

Well, we were only going to get one greyhound and Shammy was our choice. Shammy was really happy with that as well. So we put her on a leash and paraded her out through the racing stands to the front office where we sealed the deal.

But by the time we took Shammy out to the car and she hopped in, we looked at each other and said, “We’ve gotta have the other one”. We turned around to Jeane and she smiled and we trotted on back to the office where Bob’s Video got to adopt us as well.

It was a fun ride home. About mid way home we were talking to the two and pretty soon, we realized that Bob’s Video, or Video was really just Bob… He was such a Bob. It fit and that’s how it’s been ever since.

It’s been a few weeks now and we realize that we all have lots to learn but couldn’t be happier to have been found and adopted by Bob and Shammy.

Congrats! Once you bring the first hound home, it's almost inevitable that you'll want a second. You just saved yourself a trip. :)

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Congrats! Once you bring the first hound home, it's almost inevitable that you'll want a second. You just saved yourself a trip. :)

I think so. I was raised with a greyhound in the family but it's been thirty years since Alice passed away. We took care of our friend's sweet brindle, Callie and that was all it took. I was determined to get another grey in my life. I just ended up with two. Not bad at all.

Congratulations! And we need pictures, pictures and more pictures!

Of course I have pictures. I just gotta figure out how to get them on here and I'll start a postin'

Uploading pics is a simple process...check out the technical thread for step by step instructions. You can open an account on Photobucket, drag and drop photos to your album, copy the IMG code and paste it in your post.

I agree with others, you just saved yourself a trip and luckily were able to adopt Bob before someone else did :) It won't take long before you realize we're a bunch of enablers here on GT. :rofl

Welcome and congratulations.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Uploading pics is a simple process...check out the technical thread for step by step instructions. You can open an account on Photobucket, drag and drop photos to your album, copy the IMG code and paste it in your post.

I agree with others, you just saved yourself a trip and luckily were able to adopt Bob before someone else did :) It won't take long before you realize we're a bunch of enablers here on GT. :rofl

Welcome and congratulations.

Ok got the picture thing. Thank you. Got a couple of photos there.

Welcome to GT! Welcome home Bob and Shammy! :confetti :confetti They're a beautiful pair.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Aww they are beautiful. Your Shammy reminds me of my boy Rudy I just adopted with that dark brindlling. Here he was on his first day last week checking out the toy stash.

rudy1_zps6ce93dab.jpg

And a sleepy face shot.

rudyface_zps995de086.jpg

What a wonderful pair you have!

Edited by k9soul

congrats!!! 2 is sometimes easier than 1 anyway :) they are lovely!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Congratulations. They are beautiful. The man that raised Shammy just lives up the road from me.

Awesome! Shammy is the sweetest young lady. We are so blessed to have her. My thanks to him.

Welcome to GT! Welcome home Bob and Shammy! :confetti :confetti They're a beautiful pair.

Thank you. we are lucky to have them.

Aww they are beautiful. Your Shammy reminds me of my boy Rudy I just adopted with that dark brindlling. Here he was on his first day last week checking out the toy stash.

rudy1_zps6ce93dab.jpg

And a sleepy face shot.

rudyface_zps995de086.jpg

What a wonderful pair you have!

They do seem a lot alike. Shammy is still not used to being retired yet. I guess she didn't get the memo. .... but she's learning. Bob is helping in that area.

Welcome & congratulations!!! They are a beautiful couple. No lonelies for either one. Good on you!!!

We just had to do that. I don't know that we were anywhere prepared for the two but after a few extra trips to Tractor Supply we got the house outfitted for the both of them.

See now aren't you glad you adopted both of them...one helps the other get used to retirement and they keep each other company. and you have twice as much love going on. they are both adorable....thanks for sharing their pics.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

See now aren't you glad you adopted both of them...one helps the other get used to retirement and they keep each other company. and you have twice as much love going on. they are both adorable....thanks for sharing their pics.

We are so glad that they have come to live with us. Bob is teaching Shammy the ropes on retiring, you know, how to throw the stuffed animal in the air and snap at it, that the ceiling fan isn't an evil machine of doom and that squirrels are the arch nemesis; important things like that. Hopefully Shammy will realize that she doesn't have to wake up at 5:30 anymore. (a real morning doggie) We are told by Callie's human that Callie was the same way.

Congratulations! Times 2!

They're both gorgeous. It sounds like they're settling in well and really enjoying each other (have seen the truck repair thread).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations! Times 2!

They're both gorgeous. It sounds like they're settling in well and really enjoying each other (have seen the truck repair thread).

Thank you. These hounds are home.

Oh, Shammy and Bob are both so beautiful!!

Congratulations, and welcome to GT!! :welcome2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France