Pet Insurance

Guest Spencers_Greyt

In my case, Healthy Paws insisted on the vet's hand written notes. My vet's office faxed them print outs and they were refused. Why? Who knows. It is what the company requires. My vet is cooperative for which I'm thankful.

Does your vet have an all electronic system of note taking are does it normally include handwritten notes? Am just wondering if what HP was asking for is all the notes, including any hand written, as opposed to requiring hand written. KWIM?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly do not think they need hand written notes. I believe what they want are the vet's notes not just the type of printout that would be given to a client. At most vet practices there is a difference. Client gets a run down on the services. In house records includes notes from vet tech & vet. Whether those notes are done electronically or by hand is likely immaterial.

At my vet's office. there are no paper files or folders. When I make the appointment, the receptionist types the "complaint" into their computer. They print that out on a form that gives the dog's info and has a blank for temperature, weight, etc., and attach it to a clipboard. When I get there, they hand the clipboard to the tech, and we set off. Dog gets weighed, weight gets written down until the tech can reach the keyboard and put in the info. (When I weigh the dog myself, the receptionist near the scale goes ahead and enters the weight in the computer if she's not busy at the moment.)

All the vet's notes go into the computer. I've gotten printouts of it in the past (when I needed a pet's history for something; when Jacey got so sick, they printed her 75-page file for me to take to the ER--it included the full readout on every lab test she'd ever had), and the complaint is there, weight and temp, diagnosis, prescription info, etc. These days, they do digital x-rays. (Old x-rays aren't even stored on the premises, so if you need a copy you have to request it by phone a day or two in advance so they can retrieve the film.)

The "we want written records" from Healthy Paws requirement appears to be for the dog's history on the initial claim. Once Healthy Paws has that, they may not have a problem processing future claims on sparser paperwork because they'll have a copy of everything your vet has seen.

I do wonder how new adopters get their dogs covered by Healthy Paws. For my guys, I was lucky to get the little owner's transfer thingy and a printout of the vaccinations given by SEGA's vet. Those certainly wouldn't have been accepted by Healthy Paws.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Does your vet have an all electronic system of note taking are does it normally include handwritten notes? Am just wondering if what HP was asking for is all the notes, including any hand written, as opposed to requiring hand written. KWIM?

I think they require handwritten specifically. I think the reason they wouldn't accept mine is because it was computer generated. What I don't understand is why don't they just take 90 seconds and confirm computer generated ones validity with the vet instead of apparently insinuating that you yourself somehow made them up and refusing them? I really don't know what they want. One of the HP posters above said that they did require handwritten notes and would not accept computer generated forms even with the vets letterhead. I actually can not understand why they rush thousands of dollars to some people who send only a cover letter and an invoice and yet won't process $20 toward the deductible for me when provided twice with detailed complete records. :french I don't even care anymore. :french I used to be with Pet First. They were WONDERFUL. I only left because at that time they had pathetically low incident & annual limits and I wanted more coverage. Now they have changed and offer higher limits.

Healthy Paws has NEVER asked me for handwritten notes. The only thing my vet writes with a pen is filling out 2 words on the claim form stating the reason for the visit and her signature. It would make no sense to require written notes in this day and age, all vets use computers.

Before listening to random people on the internet, why not contact healthy paws yourself? That should clear this up. I agree that it makes total sense for them not to accept any vet records from the client themselves, if that was the issue.

I have no vested interest in Healthy Paws, but I think they are a good company and it's silly to be making up their rules that don't exist.

Edited by RileysLegacy

Just called Healthy Paws to clarify this. Before processing the initial claims they need the pet's full vet records. This would include all the vet's notes, including any handwritten notes. They have no problem with vet's who use an all electronic system of note taking. "Most use.. or at least many practices are switching to having keyboards & monitors in the exam room & enter their notes there. We understand that. In face, we are a paper light company so we appreciate that."

Here's the take away message I got. HP requires all the vet notes, both hand written & electronic. It is fine if all notes are electronic.

The best way is probably to simply ask your vet to submit your pet's full vet records when you start the policy. That way when you file the first claim it is processed without delay.

Healthy Paws has NEVER asked me for handwritten notes. The only thing my vet writes with a pen is filling out 2 words on the claim form stating the reason for the visit and her signature. It would make no sense to require written notes in this day and age, all vets use computers.

Before listening to random people on the internet, why not contact healthy paws yourself? That should clear this up. I agree that it makes total sense for them not to accept any vet records from the client themselves, if that was the issue.

I have no vested interest in Healthy Paws, but I think they are a good company and it's silly to be making up their rules that don't exist.

Not making up anything. Been with them for ~2 years. Only know my experience. I believe the poster's above saying their vets digital records etc. were rejected and that handwriten notes are required because that has been my experience as well. To you lucky people who have not been victimized by this quirp I am happy for you. Others of us have. Not making stuff up and blabbing on internet. Communicating "documented" experience from a customer. :french BTW nobody is saying they should accept records from the client because as you know people are too crooked and would de fraud them. The issue was that for some of us they apparently won't, or wouldn't in the past, accept computer generated records even from the vet.

Edited by racindog

I feel lucky. I even fill out my own claim forms, so the vet just has to sign it, and then [insert loud, disbelieving gasp HERE] I FAX THEM TO TRUPANION FROM HOME. Myself.

That's how I do it with HP also. Though they will also accept them via email. It is just the initial forwarding of my dog's existing vet records that went directly from the vet.

In fact, with a previous dog, I switched my vet so that there would not be any pre-existing conditions on file (hip dysplasia had just been diagnosed), got him re-examined and re-diagnosed and then submitted my first claim.

Well, that is incredibly dishonest. No wonder vet insurance is so expensive!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

I don't think so. If I had put the insurance on him a touch earlier, he would have been covered. He was a senior that I had just adopted so it wasn't like I'd known for ages or anything. AND the vet suggested it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My vet's office has hand written notes.

Also, I don't have to do any of the work except sign a filled-in form that I download from my account area on Healthy Paw's web site. The vet's office submits the claim, and I usually get an email within 3 days from the company.

Edited by Feisty49

Agreed. No wonder Carl and Doodle's premiums both went up 33% - each - with Trupanion, this kind of behavior adds to the collective bottom line.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I just signed up for Trupanion. After researching most of the companies here, that one seemed to have the best deal because they don't have a limit on yearly costs. I would have never previously thought of pet insurance, but I always have a bit of anxiety over how I would pay for emergency vet bills, so it is a huge weight off my shoulders. I pay $60/month plus a $500 deductible (pet insurance seems way cheaper in the U.S.) but I am glad I got him signed up while he was fairly young and healthy. I didn't sign up my other dog because she is over 10 and it was just too expensive.

Agreed. No wonder Carl and Doodle's premiums both went up 33% - each - with Trupanion, this kind of behavior adds to the collective bottom line.

Okay, enough. Whatever. You can think what you like. If I'd waited a few weeks to take the new adoptee to the vet, then he would have been covered anyway. This was just a small hiccup to get there. Good grief. I still paid more every month than I claimed for his Metacam -- remember, he was 10 already so his premiums were quite high. And BTW, he wasn't with Trupanion so no need for commenting on him being part of the cause of your premium hike.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Hmm. I have just recently filed claims for Pixie's knee surgeries (one in January, and one yesterday) with Healthy Paws. For the January one, I sent in the invoice and the cover page, and they paid it without any issues. They may have contacted the vet for more records, but if they did, they didn't tell me about it. I'll see if this second one goes an differently than the first.

And at 7K total for the surgeries, I can say that I really appreciate having the insurance!

Just a quick follow-up: no issues with getting the claim processed. Seriously, I really like dealing with this company.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest Lefty

I am so unhappy with Trupanion. I had Petplan with my first grey, Lefty. They were fair. I had a couple of claims denied, but they covered a good portion. I have two greys now and went with Trupanion because they were a little cheaper. What a mistake! We had one claim denied for pre-existing condition, which I found out was true. (She was treated by the kennel's vet for a tbd and we were never informed.) However, the just denied a claim for our boy,Dothan. He had a fecal in July that was negative. In August I brought him to the vet for diarrhea they gave a prescription for HIll's W/D. In January, Our new girl, Joppa, tested positive for giardia. I then had Dothan tested. He was now positive. The will not cover the giardia claim because he had diarrhea in August. The call that pre-existing. I wish I would have spent the extra money and stayed with Pet plan.

Sol went to vet Sat. for what turned out to be a broken toe. Forgot to bring the claim form with me. Had follow up appt yesterday so brought two claims forms, one for each visit. For one claim, first for this injury, I asked the vet office to print out their notes sheet. Took her all of 90 seconds to supply that for me. Vet spent about the same length of time completing his portion of the forms. I took those home & faxed them late last night. Just got email from HealthyPaws saying the claims had been processed, supplied EOB & said checks are being sent out. They didn't ask any questions & paid exactly what I calculated they would based on info available on their website. Easy peasy!

I swear I have a lot more trouble & spend more time f---ing around with my own health insurance company even though my employer pays everything & my doctors' offices file all the paperwork.

... For one claim, first for this injury, I asked the vet office to print out their notes sheet...

Wanted to add that it was just the notes for that one office visit when he first had the injury, not from his full file. It was just 1/2 sheet of paper. Didn't ask for the notes on the recheck.