Vet Wants To Try Rx Food

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

Angie has had a problem with diarrhea lately. She has tried rice with ground beef and flagyl. It is still soft but better. The vet wants to try a Rx food (not sure which one) for a while but not necessarily long term. Any thoughts?

I'm curious what you get back, have the same issues with Zeke too.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Clawsandpaws

Dudley had diarrhea when we first got him that did not improve with rounds of metro and boiled chicken, we tried the wet rx food for sensitive stomach and saw no significant improvement. (The stool was better but still soft) The vet gave us forti-flora to try and it was an overnight success. We fed him 3 different types of kibble (high quality grain free, mid quality grain free, and now he's on IAMS greenbag) all produced good stool with forti flora added once a day, but now he is on just the IAMS and his stool is almost perfect.

My cat is on rx food though (for GI issues) and it definitely worked for her, so I won't say anything negative about the rx food. We only used the wet for a week, couldn't afford it much longer!! Plus he was only given wet food, none of the rx kibble.

Hope something fixes it!

When I first adopted Fiona she had a raging case of hook worms that took forever to get rid of. Even after they were gone she continued to have very soft stool so the vet put her on Rx kibble. I don't recall the brand but it was made of peanut shells. After a month or two her stool firmed up and I transitioned her to regular kibble.

Last month, as in the previous few months, after Heartguard, Fuzzy got diarrhea. It lasted three days, this time, and he began getting up at 4 AM to go out. Our vet put him on Flagyl and Hills WD prescription diet. In one day, he was better. But, I have a feeling we will be going through the same process this month. Heartguard has not been agreeing with him.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest grey_dreams

Some dogs get diarrhea from rice. Try boiled turkey filet with oatmeal. Use Quaker rolled oats, about 3-4 teaspoons per dog, pour some boiling water enough to cover the oats, let cool. Then spoon this mix over cut up steamed turkey breast filet.

RX Clay is wonderful for clearing up occasional diarrhea

no prescription needed,, i've purchased it on amazon i think

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

..............or Endosorb - same clay base.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Peyton is currently eating prescription IAMS 'low residue' due to unusual blood values accompanied by bloody stools. He hasn't had any issues since 48hrs after starting the food but we also had him on Flagyl and an antibiotic at the same time so I don't really know that the food specifically helped.

It likely can't hurt in the short term. I am hoping to get Peyton off this if his next blood tests come back with improved values. A 30lb bag cost us almost $90 with tax.

If it is w/d look at the ingredients.

When Poodle was diagnosed as diabetic my first words to the vet were "I am not putting him on w/d". The vet community will rally around it and say all those crappy ingredients are there for a reason and work magic, but i just can't buy into it - especially at the price. I'm not against corn and cellouse (usually something like sawdust, but covers lots of things, including cotton) but as the as the first two ingredients? Then in third place you get to the only protein which is by product meal.

I hate to mention that IAMS has fixed a lot of runny pooped dogs on here. Will it fix every one? Nope. Does it have corn? Yes, but not as the first ingredient - that is chicken. Does it have chicken by products? yes, but not as the only protein source. Does it have sawdust or some other form of cellouse? No. Until about 4 years ago w/d listed peanut hulls as an ingrediest. That may still be the case but it's been relabeled generically as celluose.

w/d ingredients -

Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken by-product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Lactic Acid, Soybean Meal, Caramel (color), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Flaxseed, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Iodized Salt, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, L-Threonine, Mixed Tocopherols added to retain freshness, Citric Acid added to retain freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Good luck. James came to us on Rx food (Iams low-residue) and Flagyl. He was on and off of them for a while. We eventually stopped the food and let Flagy run its course before finding a food combination that worked. Our vet said some greys don't do well on Flagyl. The last time James got the big D, the vet put him on sulfaslazine and it calmed his intestines down quick.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul cannot eat anything but the I/D otherwise he poops blood. I hate the contents, but it works for him and the alternative is internal bleeding <_<

Guest Celestrina
Z/D?? Thats a hypoallergic food. Is your vet suggesting ibd? Z/D is very fatty--just might make things worse. :sad1

Angie is also very sensitive to chicken, which I think played a part in her decision. Most (if not all) of the others have chicken but this formula if for dogs with food intolerances/allergies.

Maybe I'll call the vet and ask her.