Want To Switch Off Iams

Another which food to try question. Been through many food changes (4?) in the last 2 1/2 years with Ruby and want to switch again. I put her on the GREEN bag about 2 months ago and poo looks great, but she poops 4 times a day. Prior to this it was only 1-2 times. I had her on the salmon and the lamb foods from Costco but her tooting was horrendous and she didn't eat them too well. Toots have decreased on the Iams but don't want to continue with the mass piles. So I am looking for a different food to try. She is allergic to beef and doesn't seem to like the fish much.

Can you tell me what has worked well for your dogs ? Not ready to try raw food yet but when I retire will probably go that route. Thanks.

Karen

Guest WhiteWave

Mine are eating Annamaet Extra and doing well on it. Firm poop.

Pro Plan always gave good poop and not a lot of it. I am considering going back to it. I know a lot people (especially on other boards) hate purina, but my dogs have always done really well on Pro Plan and it is more in my budget right now.

Nutrisource Grain Free Lamb did well too.

Eagle Pack regular line or Holistic Select also has worked with many dogs I've fed it too.

I have been using Taste of the Wild High Prairie, which is their bison and venison formula. They do very well on it, they like it and I can feed them less of it than any other food I've tried. Therefore we have a lot less poop, and it works out to be very economical as well. I get sticker shock every time I buy a bag - it works out to almost $50 after tax for a 33-lb. bag - but remind myself that it lasts a lot longer than foods with a lower purchase price.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I read the ingredients of TOW today and it looks really good. May try it and see how it goes. The weird thing is that Ruby has started to poo in the yard since starting the Iams, and before that she always went in the bark. My husband is frustrated with her new place to "go" but I don't know if that will change with another food. She NEVER went in the lawn before the GREEN bag though.

Karen

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi eats the Salmon and Potato 4Health, which is sold by Tractor Supply.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/4health-dog-food-dry/

He's been doing great on it. Healthy coat, not too much gas, and he only poops 1-2 times a day verses 3-4 times on Iams. It's occasionally loose, but definitely pick-up-able most of the time.

We had a similar problem with James after we switched to green bag. He pooped ALL THE TIME when we fed him nothing but green bag. We eventually mixed in Nutro Venison and Brown Rice (the sensitive skin and stomach food) and things turned around dramatically. I'd say the percentage is 75% Nutro and 25% Iams. If he didn't get an afternoon walk, he'd only poop twice a day now. On nothing but green bag, he was pooping upwards of 4 or 5 times per day.

Good luck!

Guest krussell

Before switching to raw, we fed our dogs Acana Wild Prairie and were VERY happy with the food. I am not surprised about the amount of poo with Iams...We feed our foster dogs Iams and their poos are huge compared to our dogs. On Acana, our dogs would usually poo once a day, sometimes two and they are very small. The food cost about $53 for a 29lb bag.

Edited by krussell

I had been feeding Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach for years. Matt and Soony lost interest in it and weren't eating well.

So I tried Canidae again. I used to feed it before they changed the formula. Matt did OK, but Sonny's stool was very loose and my fosters was pudding.

So I decided to try Iams green bag. Within the first 2 meals (with only @ 1/4 Iams, 3/4 Canidae) their stools were firm.

I know it's not the best, but will have to do until I can decide what else to try.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I am not sure why it is a problem if your dog has 4 firm poops a day. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest jettcricket

When I initially adopted Dave it took me almost a year to find something that worked. I feed all 3 of my kids Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance limited ingredients Venison and Sweet Potato. Nice firm poops on all 3 of my greys...even when I foster most of them do well on it. And sometimes I'll feed them Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. :)

I have been using Taste of the Wild High Prairie, which is their bison and venison formula. They do very well on it, they like it and I can feed them less of it than any other food I've tried. Therefore we have a lot less poop, and it works out to be very economical as well. I get sticker shock every time I buy a bag - it works out to almost $50 after tax for a 33-lb. bag - but remind myself that it lasts a lot longer than foods with a lower purchase price.

Everyone's different, but we had bad results with TOTW High Prairie. Gas, dull coats, and Henry developed some type of allergic reaction that caused him to constantly lick his paws and bum. In our case, the hounds ate the same amount of TOTW as they do Iams. So I wouldn't count on the same sized bag lasting much longer.

I am not sure why it is a problem if your dog has 4 firm poops a day. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

I think pooing 4-5 times a day is excessive and makes me think the food is of poor quality. She also changed the place she goes at the very same time we changed the food, which seems weird to us.

We only feed her 3 cups of the Iams, which is what the bags says for her weight, so it is the same as what we were feeding before. Sometimes she leaves the morning food and she has lost 2 lbs since we started it. She does look good however and the vet was OK with what we are feeding. She still toots often and right now is on a boiled chicken and rice diet due to a turkey back I fed her last night. Not sure what went wrong but she started whining about 3:30 this morning and I had to take her out 3 times before I got up at 6:30. My husband said she was tooting and rumbly all day today. Out go those turkey backs. She has never had an issue with the necks so I am surprised.

As far as the cost goes, we only have the one dog so will pay whatever it takes to make her and her system happy. I like the price of Iams but I think she needs something else. So many choices and I just don't know what to try. I really like the limited ingredients in some of them.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Karen

Guest FinnsMom
I think pooing 4-5 times a day is excessive and makes me think the food is of poor quality. She also changed the place she goes at the very same time we changed the food, which seems weird to us.

We only feed her 3 cups of the Iams, which is what the bags says for her weight, so it is the same as what we were feeding before. Sometimes she leaves the morning food and she has lost 2 lbs since we started it. She does look good however and the vet was OK with what we are feeding. She still toots often and right now is on a boiled chicken and rice diet due to a turkey back I fed her last night. Not sure what went wrong but she started whining about 3:30 this morning and I had to take her out 3 times before I got up at 6:30. My husband said she was tooting and rumbly all day today. Out go those turkey backs. She has never had an issue with the necks so I am surprised.

As far as the cost goes, we only have the one dog so will pay whatever it takes to make her and her system happy. I like the price of Iams but I think she needs something else. So many choices and I just don't know what to try. I really like the limited ingredients in some of them.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sounds like yours had the same reaction to Iams as mine did. He went from 2 runny poops a day to 4-5 very large poops a day, a rumbly stomach, and horrid gas. At the time we were feeding kibble in the morning and raw for supper, and had planned to go 100% raw once the kibble was gone, but after a few weeks we tossed the bag and went completely raw. Now we have 1 to 2 small poops a day and no gas, except for regular toots after eating a bully stick or some other treat. LOL

Guest myboys4

Iams users go to the Iams Grain Free. Green Iams has a lot of grain! Almost always, according to other forums poops are smaller and firmer with grain free foods. The higher the protein, the more absorbed in the system and less waste. Grain is a filler that really is not needed. Many people who do not want to pay for the Iams Grain Free feed the Natures Domain Grain Free from Costco and have WONDERFUL luck with that. Just a suggestion. I mix Iams Healthy Naturals with Iams Grain Free for my 3 at home now. When the others come from the track they will be on this mix also. Thanks for listening.... :)

Guest WhiteWave
Iams users go to the Iams Grain Free. Green Iams has a lot of grain! Almost always, according to other forums poops are smaller and firmer with grain free foods. The higher the protein, the more absorbed in the system and less waste. Grain is a filler that really is not needed. Many people who do not want to pay for the Iams Grain Free feed the Natures Domain Grain Free from Costco and have WONDERFUL luck with that. Just a suggestion. I mix Iams Healthy Naturals with Iams Grain Free for my 3 at home now. When the others come from the track they will be on this mix also. Thanks for listening.... :)

Do you have any info on the Iams Grain free? I have not seen it anywhere and they don't have it listed on their website. http://iams.com/dog-food/buy-now?online=all

I've not seen it either. Only Healthy Naturals, which is limited ingredient, but not grain free.

I looked on their site and also others offering 'grain free' and although there is no grain, it appears they just stuff it with potatoes and peas.

I can't see how dogs would have ever taken to potatoes or peas naturally. Come to think of it... what WAS the natural filler in real prey dog food?

But then what do i know about wheelbarrows.... I just want a dog food that safe first, doesn't cause dairrhea second, and third that the dog doesn't soon refuse... and fourth that doesn't cost a stupid amount of money for what it is. Kind of like Iams. My local garden center does their own badged turkey and rice kibble that seems to work quite well. Looks quite similar in recipe to James Wellbeloved (UK mid-range brand) and probably made in the same factory.

Edited by JohnF

Guest joviemom

I feed my girl the Go! Sensitivity and Shine (duck) formula from Petcurean and I mix in just a spoon full of Canidae pureLand and she does wonderful on it! Firm poops, no toots and she is going generally 2 times a day.

Her coat also looks great and she has a lot more energy since I started it. The price isnt horrible either!

Edited by joviemom

We are TOTW feeders here. My kids do great on the Pacific Stream, because they have issues with lamb and chicken.

My mom diverted and tried the High Prairie variety with her hounds and they had dull coats and runny poop. Back to Pacific Stream and they're good!

Mine all love the salmon-clean bowls at every meal, no add-ins except water and their joint supplements. Soft shiny coats, low poop volume AND frequency. They generally go twice a day-around each meal. Some of them don't poop until bedtime potty break, but they always poop either right before or right after breakfast.

A big bag of ProPlan costs more than TOTW too!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

You wouldn't go to a restaurant and order a filet mignon and expect to pay the price of a hamburger. Same with different dog foods and the quality of ingredients they use.

No but any bag of kibble is hamburger compared to a dog catching a rabbit for their dinner; and some hamburgers are worse than others (recent scandal here in the UK over foreign horsemeat being found in them and worse the horses are given forbidden medications)

You can bet they don't get a turkey on a carving table and slice it up like for Thanksgiving, nor catch a fish on a line and fillet it. Hoppers, belts, production line rolllers and mashers, profit margins to be maintained...

Red bag would guarantee explosive diarrhea within 10 minutes here. I have had 7 dogs so far in my life and NONE of them can tolerate lamb.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Ruby has been on the TOTW Bison & Venison now for about 5 days without her Green Bag mixed in. She loves it, poops are great and about 1-2 a day, but the gas is TERRIBLE !!!!! Ugh. I almost let her out the front door last night (just kidding). I am going to give it another week or so to see if I can stand it and hope it gets better. I cannot live with the gas the way it is now. Back to the Costco salmon food if this one doesn't work out. She didn't love it but no other issues.

Karen

Try the TOTW salmon food-she might like it better.

I had to buy a different brand of salmon food once when TOTW was in short supply-Fritz wouldn't eat it even though it had the same ingredients.

ETA: mom's hounds had gas on that formula of TOTW that you have, but no gas on the TOTW salmon.