What Kind Of Collar/leash Do You Use?

I'm currently using a martingale, but I feel like a harness might be better when taking them out for a walk around the neighborhood since I don't know how he'll react yet. The martingale is good, but I feel a little weary that he still might be able to slip out of it, because he did while we were were walking him at the kennel. Any advice/suggestions? Recommendations on a harness? TIA!

Since Micah is skittish I've always been afraid that he'd slip his Martingale collar. He wears a martingale but when I walk him away from our home I use a harness. He could care less and momma feels he's safe.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

More info on how to properly fit a martingale: http://classichound.com/pages/faq

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

the martingale if adjusted properly will do the trick. may i suggest you browse youtube and look for "how to" hold a leash and walk your dog. i'm sure some obedience clubs and trainers have videos. you might pick up some tricks that will offer comfort on your side. the dog reads your security or insecurity directly thru the leash!

We use a martingale and a 5 foot lead, without any qualms - but Monty is completely sedate, nor does he want to chase anything! If I were worried (if he were a spook or just anxious at certain things) I'd use a harness quick as anything!

One thing everyone should do, no matter which type of dog-containment-system you use (collar or harness) is to check to make sure that none of the connections have slipped looser. We have to adjust Monty's martingale maybe once or twice a month because the buckle slips just the tiniest bit and the fabric seems to relax enough to make getting it off and on a bit easier. It doesn't look like it has slipped, but it gets just the tiniest bit looser.

We use martingale collars on two of our greys. The other wears a harness due to a compressed disc in her neck. We have used both the Premier Sure Fit or Wiggles, Whiskers and Wags No-Pull harnesses. Both work equally as good.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Hello, I just read your post as we have just got peggy and having a similiar predicament as she is scared of noises and traffic and she keeps trying to slip her collar. We are going to get a harness tomorrow as everyone is recommending it on here and it will be a lot calmer walking her knowing that she can't slip it. I will let you know how we get on with it if you like?

the martingale if adjusted properly will do the trick. may i suggest you browse youtube and look for "how to" hold a leash and walk your dog. i'm sure some obedience clubs and trainers have videos. you might pick up some tricks that will offer comfort on your side. the dog reads your security or insecurity directly thru the leash!

Will do, Thanks!

Hello, I just read your post as we have just got peggy and having a similiar predicament as she is scared of noises and traffic and she keeps trying to slip her collar. We are going to get a harness tomorrow as everyone is recommending it on here and it will be a lot calmer walking her knowing that she can't slip it. I will let you know how we get on with it if you like?

Yes! I would love to hear about your experience with it.

I believe that a martigale fitted properly (high and tight) won't allow a dog to slip out. BUT - I've walked some seriously skittish new fosters that've about choked themselves on a martingale. Now - that did not truly hurt them, and they did not get away. But - the fear that they caused themselves by being constricted by their collar did not help my goal of teaching calm walking.

So - I have used harnesses. I use them as a training aide only - and I use a martingale at the same time. The martingale is for walking - the harness is for damage control when the dog goes nuts. I use 2 leashes. I think all dogs should learn to walk on a collar - the harness stops the dogs for out-of-control situations. Your goal is to reduce the out-of-control situations. Teach confidence. Teach good walking. Teach tolerance. Use the harness as the safety net - until the dog gets beyond the fears that cause the panic.

Your goal - in my mind - is to teach the dog to walk with a collar. Don't use the harness as a crutch - use it as a tool. Eventually you shouldn't NEED the harness if you can get the dog beyond the fear.

Guest maidmarcia

I have the regular martingale that the rescue group gave to me on adoption and I have this one:

collar_pink_0.jpg

except it's in a red print for my boy.

And we use a regular 6' leash. At first I was worried that he would slip his martingale, especially since I would occasionally tie him outside a coffee shop for a couple minutes, but he never has. It just takes some getting used to and your grey will have to adjust to it as well.

Also, just note that dogs can also get out of a harness if not fitted properly. My 2 greys wear the Wiggles Wags & Whiskers harness; Wylie because he pulls, and Razz because she sometimes spooks. I like them for both reasons. I have only walked dogs with a martingale if I know they are good on a leash, not shy, not pullers, not high prey drive, etc. Otherwise, I prefer a harness.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I use a harness for both of mine. Leash reactive means I've been scared of doing damage to their necks. And they both chase so harnesses work. But they can also walk on collars when I want them to. But that's taken time.

Invest in good quality martingales. I've found some of the fancier ones, while pretty, seem to slip, perhaps because of the fabrics used.

Guest KsFrets

We use safety leashes that have the martingale collar integrated into the leash as one piece. They are adjusted a little tighter than the fancy collars, and the webbing material isn't nearly as stiff. There is no clip that can fail or be accidentally disconnected. In in the event that the they could ever somehow slip one of these, their other collar with all their tags are still on them for ID.

7512-1557142362012.jpg

Guest KsFrets

My lovely wife (GT member KansasGrey) made them! I hope someone else know's where you can buy them, I know they are available, because that's how she got the idea.

My lovely wife (GT member KansasGrey) made them! I hope someone else know's where you can buy them, I know they are available, because that's how she got the idea.

:shakefinger

Not fair!!!!! You can't show a great thing like that (I suspect my DH would prefer to use one of those than the others available) and then smugly inform me that you have them because your wife is talented with that sort of thing. :hehe

Guest WhiteWave

Depends on where we are going. To a dog event with lots of people/dogs around, I will use a 1 1/2- 2 " martingale and 4-5ft leash.

Going hiking, I use a 1" waterproof buckle collar.

hello, just to let you know that we have been using the harness since Tuesday now and it is great! We are actually double leashing with a harness and a collar at the moment to be on the safe side. But the harness is good it is giving me the confidence to walk her and not be worried that she will escape. I think we will always use it now :)