Going To Try Turkey Necks But Have ?

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

After reading everyone here rave about the teeth cleaning benefits of turkey neck bones I decided to try them with Enzo. His teeth are actually pretty good with brushing and petzlife spray but I want to keep them that way.

So I found a package of turkey necks in my grocers refrigerator case (kind of surprised) and bought them. There are 4 necks in the package weighing a total of 1.37 lbs so about 0.35 lbs a piece.

I have read people comment if it is a "big" neck they cut it in half. What constitutes an average size turkey neck?

These are skinless and packaged by Purdue. Should I freeze them first or just feed raw as is?

Thanks so much.

Edited by Eyeblaura

Most grocery store turkey necks are pretty small, if you have four necks with a total weight of 1.37, I wouldn't cut them. I have seen them so big they are over 1 lb each! You might want to freeze what ever you don't intend to feed right away. Just hand it over :) outside if weather permits. He may be a little unsure at first, but most dogs know exactly what to do with a turkey neck :lol

chikin paws too!

Guest widowcali

The great thing about turkey necks is that there is nothing to clean up (unlike marrow bones). They dogs scarf them up.

My girls love them! But I give them outside as it makes me hurl to watch, lol.

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks!

I don't think it will gross me out to watch him eat it but I don't want it all over my carpet so he will either have to chomp away at it on a towel or eat it outside. I don't doubt he'll like it!

My dog eats big ones in a few good crunching bites. Nothing is left over. You get used to it. chicken feet, however, are revolting. Theyhave delicate little nails. DH does the chicken feet.

Just hand it over. If you are freaky about it... you can hold one end with a pair of vice grips until you feel more comfortable.

Vice grips?? Lisa! Does Ed know?? ;-)

Oh - agree - just hand them out! You'll be forever loved!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Thanks!

I don't think it will gross me out to watch him eat it but I don't want it all over my carpet so he will either have to chomp away at it on a towel or eat it outside. I don't doubt he'll like it!

I cut up a couple of old sleeping bags to make their "eating mats" - no mess on the floor unless they happen to wander off. I stay close to see to it that they stay on the mats in the kitchen and also to keep Autumn from "helping" Jack and Kieran! I give each of them a whole turkey neck for breakfast but the ones I can get certainly aren't a pound each! I buy a case every two weeks from the local supermarket.

Sounds like the ones you bought are small, so I would just throw it out the door. I always feed mine frozen and Ruby will drop it in the middle of the lawn and do about 10 Zoomies before she settles in for the snack. To say they make her Loopy is an understatement. I haven't been able to find any recently. Need to go on a hunt.

Karen

It was funny when I first introduced turkey necks to my dogs they all took to them right away except for Nadir. I'd hand them each one outside and they would go to town on it. Nadir wouldn't eat one no matter how much I tried to entice him with it. Then one day when I had plate of them sitting on the counter he grabbed one and ran to his bed and started eating it. He just didn't want to eat them outside. I haven't fed them in a while and lately have thought about feeding them again, unfortunately Walmart where I used to get them doesn't carry them anymore.

Guest Eyeblaura

Yeah I don't know if I could handle chicken feet either. The look and what I imagine must be a good amount of crunching, blech!

Enzo loved his turkey neck last night. Took it outside, planted himself in the yard (in the snow) and chomped away!

Guest Clawsandpaws
Yeah I don't know if I could handle chicken feet either. The look and what I imagine must be a good amount of crunching, blech!

Enzo loved his turkey neck last night. Took it outside, planted himself in the yard (in the snow) and chomped away!

Do they...err... eat the toenails...?

I'm glad someone asked because I also want to start with the turkey necks for the big kids...I have an additional question though - for my iggies, should I just cut one in half for them to share, or are they just too big for iggies (my iggies aren't really small, they each weigh about 12 lbs)? Would chicken necks be better for them?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm glad someone asked because I also want to start with the turkey necks for the big kids...I have an additional question though - for my iggies, should I just cut one in half for them to share, or are they just too big for iggies (my iggies aren't really small, they each weigh about 12 lbs)? Would chicken necks be better for them?

See if you can find packages of chicken backs and necks. They have them at Wal-Mart here. It worked great here - the littles got the necks and the bigs got the backs. No toenails involved...

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Toenails...*shudder*

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest FinnsMom

When I bought chicken feet for Finn I had hubby cut the toenails off. I tried to do it but was gagging too much I just couldn't. LOL

He LOVES his turkey necks and gets one almost every night as part of his supper.

I need to find someone around here that sells them <_<