Unknown Illness - Need Help

Guest rtnye

Pentoxifylline actually is recommended for issues with vasculitis, as it increases blood flow to the extremities.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a regular vet you can run all the med's by on Monday morning?

I know the E-vet is doing their best - however, maybe your normal vet will have other pain med. recommendations

that is known to be better for your girl.

as for feeding - greyhounds are really easy to PUSH food into their mouth and force feed. I have had to do this with my boy when critically

ill. Raw Hamburger in a pinch is a good thing --- also, just getting home might make her feel more like eating again.

good luck!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

No, not here, has been one of the primary issues with this ordeal. The last vet we saw was in CA, and associated with the GreySave group. Worth a try!

email me if you want -

lorindastack@yahoo.com

i'm in N. peoria and will help all i can

when did you come from California?

alabama footrot seems very strange for here in arizona - fungal infection ???

when will you know about VF or lyme disease results from blood work

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm so glad that you have a diagnosis. She'll be better in no time :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending healing thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Pentoxifylline actually is recommended for issues with vasculitis, as it increases blood flow to the extremities.
This. It really should not cause an upset tummy. (As a side note -it used for slo too).

Most hounds tolerate bupernorphine better than hydromorphine--hopefully, this is the case with your dog.

Edited by tbhounds

What I've learned so far:

Alabama Rot:

Diseases such as "Alabama Rot" are rarely considered by vets unfamiliar with a racing greyhound's history.

Alabama Rot (Idiopathic cutaneous and renal glomerular disease) has been reported only in greyhounds and is believed to be associated with toxins produced by bacteria such as E. coli, which is commonly found in the raw meat racers are fed. The earliest and most notable sign of this disease is skin lesions which begin as reddened, crusty, slow-healing ulcers and are found mainly on the hocks, stifles or thighs and occasionally on the front legs, chest and abdomen. Unfortunately, there is no medical treatment for this disease and renal failure occurs in about 25% of the cases.

But of the vets quite familiar with Greyhounds very few would consider Alabama Rot likely these days. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be of low consideration. Treatment for Alabama Rot was largely symptomatic & that is what these vets are already doing so please, please do not let them stop the search for a cause. If she were my dog I wouldn't let it end with this unlikely diagnosis.

Wishing your girl speedy improvement.

Edited by kudzu

Final diagnosis is Alabama Foot Rot along with vasculitis. They refuse to take her off pain meds which is no longer hydromorphone, but pentoxifylline which has just made her more nauseus and has now started vomiting today. They were going to put in a feeding tube this morning but won't with the vomiting. catch 22.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

A hound here had that a few months ago.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

If anyone knows about E-vets and supportive care for life threatening conditions, it's Lorinda.

Do you have super chem and cbc results you can post? Does Sasha have skin lesions?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

How is your baby feeling today?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I ended up taking Sage out of the hospital Mon. morning because she was just continuing to get worse and we went back to the vet where we originally started. He was willing to try and get her back, but he called it a "last ditch effort". 4:30 that afternoon when I checked in, he said she showed some signs of improvement, more alert. At 6:30am on Tue. I received a call that she had passed away. He attempted chest compressions but she was non-responsive. His feeling was it was not alabama rot since it's so rare and there was relatively little skin damage. He did a tick-bourne illness test which was negative as well. I received a message today that her tissue culture showed "no growth." Through unfortunate miscommunication the test for valley fever, originally taken on Fri. but not sent out until Mon. ended up getting discarded. I'm basically looking at all healthy test results, yet I no longer have a living dog. I don't understand what happened at all. I don't understand why this happened. Baffled, angry and incredibly sad.

I am so very sorry. I understand how you feel, having lost one when I shouldn't have. Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry.

It's no consolation to know that this isn't as uncommon as you'd like. Last year, I had an 8-year-old dog go from healthy on Tuesday (good bloodwork at the vet's during a well-dog visit) to very ill on Thursday, and we had to put her to sleep on Monday. And while we did have a diagnosis of immune mediated thrombocytopenia (her immune system went berserk and destroyed all her platelets), we never found a reason for it to happen: negative on all tick tests, nothing suspicious on x-rays or ultrasound.

I hate that you've lost your girl like this, but you did everything you could do for her. I'm sure she knew how much she was loved.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh, I am so sorry....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.