Singh's Broken Leg Adventure

Guest bonnebike

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to read Singh is doing better! I am glad he is healing well as that is a nasty break.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Wonderful update...I love your siggie notation...the people we own :rofl

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good to read such a positive update. Hope he heals quickly and completely.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest bonnebike

Surgery plus 14 days:

(This is from Friday -- it's been a busy weekend!)

Singh's went in for another bandage change. His leg is looking real good. There is a little oozing from the incision. He still has a "blister" on his toe from all the swelling and reaction to the omental graft, but that is healing up, too. Everything is looking pretty good.

I asked if the ulna would ever heal back together because it wasn't aligned in the x-ray they showed us. She said before they started omental grafts that the ulna would often just disappear. Now what they often see is a synostosis where the ulna fuses to the radius. She said it's not a weight bearing bone, but he'll lose some ability to move in certain ways.

Singh is still taking Cephalexin, but we're tapering off of the Tramadol. I don't think he needs it anymore. His wacky nature has reasserted itself and it's hard to keep him from hopping around and doing weird stuff. I wish they could have done a wisdom transplant, but then again I wouldn't want to change who he is.

Dr. Baltzer said we can go to twice a week now for bandage changes. That's a good thing. The bills are rolling in.

• The visit to the emergency vet was about $720.
  • The initial consult at the OSU vet school was $190.
  • The surgery and associated expenses were about $2180.
  • Each bandage change is $76.

Singh is easily our most expensive dog! :)

Guest bonnebike

Surgery + 21 days (Friday, Nov. 30):

Bandage change today. Singh got his stitches out finally. Everything is looking real good. We're scheduled for the next bandage change on Tuesday and then hopefully once a week after that. He finished his last Cephalexin over the weekend so we are done with pills!

:D

Glad to hear he's doing well!

In 2002 one of my mares, at age 3, had a grade 3, displaced fracture of her ulna ... she probably got kicked.

Like Singh's, her fracture line did not line up perfectly and it took a l-o-n-g time to heal....8 months on stall rest :eek

But, but like your vet said, the ulna is not a weight-bearing bone and she eventually came back to be sounder than I ever though possible.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bonnebike

Surgery+32 days (Tuesday, Dec 11th):

Singh is doing great. He went in for his weekly bandage change today and Dr. Baltzer said everything looks real good. She did not put the splint back in the new bandage so there is no external support there anymore. We have become a little complacent letting him get away with more stuff and we have to go back to being careful again. Although, he's feeling pretty good so it's hard to keep him from getting excited.

Dr. Baltzer thinks they will do another radiograph around the first of the year -- maybe for his birthday! He turns 4 on January 2nd.

Here's a video taken at lunch before the bandage change and splint removal. Someone always comes home at lunch to let the doggies out to potty. Then they get a cookie! I've been playing with my bike camera (Hero HD) so I just put it on the table while I took off Singh's bootie and got the cookies. Singh bounces around and even sits and shakes -- with his bad leg no less.

http://vimeo.com/55502474

Great news! :clap

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

he's looking great!

and love the "fly by" nosie shots in your video :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest bonnebike

Surgery + 39 days (Dec. 18th):

Bandage change with Dr. Ho this time. He's gone one week without the splint and just a soft bandage. He's using his leg a little more which is a good thing. His leg is really skinny due to the atrophy, but that's to be expected. He'll have to regain his muscle mass and strength after all the bandages are off in a couple of weeks. At this point everything appears to be on track.

Guest bonnebike

Surgery + 47 days.

Merry Christmas Singh!

Hurray!! Singh got his bandage off today.The leg is really skinny except where the plate is. We are a little nervous about him doing something silly, but in reality the soft bandage he's had on the last two weeks provided no support so if he maintains the same level of craziness he should be fine.

The skin on his leg is crusty as you might expect after being covered for so long. It also seems thinner than normal (which is already thin enough). We are going to do a couple of "soaks" a day by wrapping it with a damp towel then some gentle wiping to get loose stuff off.

It must be really itchy because he wants to lick it, but he's not supposed to. He's stuck with his cone head for a while. What a sad doggie.

165808_2574411977383_1060937296_n.jpg

:kiss2 hope he continues to improve!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway