Update On Cooper

Guest crazy4greys

Guest crazy4greys

After talking with my vet, and agreeing that the cancer has been there for longer than we thought since the spots on the x-rays are large and numerous in his shoulder, and that there is most likely small tumors in the lung that we can not see, we are going to up the dose of Tramadol and add Rymadil. Next Wednesday we are going to start pain management called Pamidronate, I also sent the xrays off to OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program for a consultation. I hope this will at least help Cooper with the pain for as long as he has left with us, which I hope will be awhile :hope:candle:cry1

Edited by crazy4greys

Wishing Cooper all the best. :hope

Just FYI, Gabapentin was a miracle drug for Bee Wiseman in dealing with the awful pain of osteo. It's dirt cheap, too. We added Gabapentin in combination with Tramadol and Deramaxx when those drugs weren't enough to control her pain.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest crazy4greys

Just FYI, Gabapentin was a miracle drug for Bee Wiseman in dealing with the awful pain of osteo. It's dirt cheap, too. We added Gabapentin in combination with Tramadol and Deramaxx when those drugs weren't enough to control her pain.

Thanks, did you get it from the vet?

I already received an email that I sent this afternoon. They said it is definitely Osteo and that if amputation is not an option, then I am doing the right thing. That makes me feel a lot better, but now it has hit home and it hurts :crying

I already received an email that I sent this afternoon. They said it is definitely Osteo and that if amputation is not an option, then I am doing the right thing. That makes me feel a lot better, but now it has hit home and it hurts :crying

I so sorry. :grouphug I hope you can find the right combination of medication to control his pain so you can have some more time together. Cherish every day.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thinking of you and Cooper, Joanne :candle:goodluck:grouphug

Hoping for many more pain-free days for him and many more happy times together.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry. Gabapentin is generic Neurontin and you can get it at any pharmacy with a prescription. I got it from Costco for my whippet. They even gave him a free ID card since he didn't have insurance and that way he got a discount on his meds.

I hope you have many many pain free times ahead with your gorgeous boy.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks, did you get it from the vet?

We received the same email from OSU a little over a year ago. I know how awful it feels. I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Yes, Gabapentin is prescribed by the vet. It comes in 100mg capsules and 300mg capsules. I had that script filled at Walmart. Don't remember what I spent, but I do remember that it was very cheap. Most folks in the osteo thread who went the pain management route used that drug at some point. I'm sure you can do a search here for that information. We kept upping the dosages under the guidance of our vet. We didn't opt for the Pamidronate, so I don't know how that factors in.

Hope Cooper is pain free for a while. Osteo is a cruel disease, even more so at his young age.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest patterpaws

I'm so sorry about Cooper. :( I hope you can get a good dose of meds and he has many more pain-free days. I know how the diagnosis is a horribly cruel punch to the gut. :(

Generally, dogs appear to do better with smaller doses of Gabapentin more often, so ask your vet for a prescription for 100mg capsules. (Many drug stores carry capsules rather than pills in the smaller sizes. The only split-able pills my Walgreen's carries are 600mg, and I don't want to deal with trying to divide those.) Ideally, you'll want Cooper on three doses a day rather than just one or two.

Sam takes two 100mg gabapentin two or three times a day. If he seems to be in pain (esp. now that the weather is cooling off here), I can up the dose to three 100mg capsules a day. While the drug usually is effective and has very few side effects--it's not going to make Cooper groggy or anything--you'd probably have the best result if you started off at a low dose. I seem to remember we did one 100mg capsule twice a day for the first few days, then upped it to two 100mg pills in the morning, one at night, then to two 100mg pills morning and night, with another two pills at bedtime if he seems particularly achy. (Sam has arthritis in his spine as well as a couple of slightly herniated discs, but he's 12 years old and a bad candidate for surgery.) It can take 24 hours or more for the drug to build up to full effectiveness in a dog.

ETA: Many vets aren't familiar with gabapentin. It was developed initially to control epileptic seizures in people. Doctors realized it was effective at fighting cancer pain, and its use has spread to pets. Lots of vets, though, have stuck to older meds they're more familiar with. My vet hadn't used gabapentin, but I told him about what I'd seen here on Greytalk, and he went off, did some research, and came back and wrote me a prescription. Sam's been taking it since last winter. So don't be surprised if your vet's not familiar with it.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Keeping Cooper and you in our thoughts. I hope you are able to manage his pain and remember it may take a bit of time getting the perfect combination of meds so hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. I'd also highly recommend gabapentin. That and (especially) radiation treatments gave us more quality time with Gabe.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.