Tooting On Green Bag ?

I know.......another Green Bag Iams question. I switched Ruby to Kirklands Chicken and rice when they had that recall and she had been on the salmon and sweet potato kind prior. She was doing fine on the chicken but never really loved it. Last time we went back to the salmon variety and the toots have started up again. I now remember what we didn't like. Poops are good on both. She also doesn't really scarf this food down and leaves it often. We are considering trying the Green Bag but I am wondering if anyone notices a tooting problem on this food ? How does your dogs coat look ? Ruby seems like her coat is kind of dull right now. She is also shedding like crazy right now. I noticed Costco sells it. Also, how much do you feed a day ? I saw in some of the other posts about this food that the poo quantity might increase. Also, what is the protein in this food ? Ruby is allergic to beef.

Thanks

Karen

I've been feeding the green bag for years. Occasionally, the devil will sit on my shoulder and tell me I should be feeding a "quality" food and I'll go out, research, find the "perfect" food and do the gradual change and the problems will begin. I'll try waiting it out and they only get worse until finally I'll switch back to the green bag "cold turkey" and all is well within two days. My girls don't have any gas issues from the green bag, but if I give them rich treats they will occasionally get the kind that peels the paint from the walls. :-)

edited to add:

They get 1 1/2 cups both morning and night.

Coats are very soft and shiny.

Edited by june

Annie gets 1 cup of Nutro venison and 1/2 cup of Iams green bag for breakfast and the same for supper. Mixed in with each meal are a couple of tablespoons of dried beet pulp and a couple of squirts of fish oil. Her coat is soft and has a nice sheen to it. Annie has never had smelly gas, and in the 15 months I've had her, she's been on a few different brands. Adding the beet pulp has given her better poos, though by the time she does her 3rd poo of the day (which is how many she has every day), it's softer than the morning poo.

Peggy's coat stayed nice and shiny black on Iams and poops became pick-up-able. The only reason I don't feed it all the time is she goes off it half way through a big bag.

Gas issues will likely be evident for the first week even after a gradual change-over. If not loctose intolerant, give a couple of spoons of bio yoghurt.

Sardines? Every other Friday Peggy gets a small tin of sardines mixed in with her food. The ones in tomato sauce or water are better than the ones in oil that really out to be tipped out first. If you have good quality raw eggs (like ours from a local farm where the chickens are totally free range in the field, hedges and around straw manure heaps etc) then you can put it on the food too. It is good for Vitamin E.

I have found that none of my 3 greys have had gas problems on purina pro plan.I think sometimes the better quality foods are just too rich for them.I do, however, feel guilty not giving them the best food possible.I just can't see trying to feed it to them if they just don't digest it well.I do give them raw bones and meat from time to time and I am surprised to find that it never bothers them.I'm thinking of adding more raw to their diet.I just have to get over my fear of "raw meat"being harmful to dogs.

Guest FinnsMom

Mine had awful gas on the green bag so I mix 1/2 of the green bag (until its gone) with Eukanuba and he's fine with that. I work at home and he sleeps by desk and the horrid smell that was coming from him was giving me headaches, so no more green bag for him. LOL

Occasionally, the devil will sit on my shoulder and tell me I should be feeding a "quality" food and I'll go out, research, find the "perfect" food and do the gradual change and the problems will begin. I'll try waiting it out and they only get worse until finally I'll switch back to the green bag "cold turkey" and all is well within two days.

Hahaha! Same thing here! :haha

Guest 2dogs4cats

Funny how times have changed. 20 years ago, Iams was a premium food.

I agree with others--sometimes the super premium foods are too rich.

So true! and Petsmart and all these premium brands didn't exist either! A lot f households fed the dog table scraps.

:nod:lol That's why I went back to Iams for Rex. I'd successfully fed it for many years before "those in the know" on internet forums lectured me on the evils of the demon corn.

Beware! The all-knowing college-student pet food reps may convince you that Iams causes cancer!

Guest mb_in_md

So true! and Petsmart and all these premium brands didn't exist either! A lot f households fed the dog table scraps.

Exactly. I remember driving 30 miles each way to get the higher quality Iams green bag or Lamb & Rice because it was SO much better than the grocery brands or table scraps! :)

Guest BrianRke

Frank eats Iams green bag because its the only thing he CAN eat. No gas problems here but you can expect some anytime you change foods for at least a week.

Exactly. I remember driving 30 miles each way to get the higher quality Iams green bag or Lamb & Rice because it was SO much better than the grocery brands or table scraps! :)

What's really funny is that table scraps were what was left over from your dinner plate. So your saying that a bowl of dogfood, and I don't care which brand, is better than what our parents served us for dinner. If they had only known better we could of all been eating a nice big bowl of Iams green bag every night.

Guest newgreymama

We switched to Iams green bag a couple of weeks ago and haven't been happier. Cora's tummy is feeling better (way less gas, and when she does toot, it isn't nearly as room clearingly smelly as they were), her poops are just about as normal as we expect to get and her coat is amazingly soft and shiny. We love it! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since this thread saw action, but we've been feeding the green bag for about a week now. Although James' coat is SO much better than on his old food, his toots are just as bad, if not worse. I came down from the shower and was convinced there must have been a huge pile of poop in the living room. Nope, it was only a fart. Granted, he is still on antibiotic (sulfasalazine) for gut inflammation/diarrhea (caused by what we've concluded was a combination of his body deciding his old food just wasn't working + a hot dog that threw his bowel into a tailspin + his monthly does of Heartgard), but I don't think the antibiotic is the cause of the toots. But, with a great coat and nice poops, I'm not sure switching foods (again) is the best option.

Guest greyhound515

Our vet here in FL has recommended Purina One (Lamb and Rice) to us. My dog did great on Nutro Ultra, but now I have been unemployed forever and must feed whatever we can afford, normally the Purina One. Thank Dog she doesn't have any tummy trouble and almost never gas! I have had great luck with Solid Gold Wolf Cub and Dick Van Patten Fish and Sweet Potato with my last Grey, who had bad tummy issues for years. Even the cats get cheaper food-Meow Mix, which they both like and I mix with higher quality food when we can manage. We humans live on lentils and rice mostly and the occasional salad.

Guest sirsmom

Purina One, Purina Pro Plan lamb & rice and Iams are about the only foods my dogs do well on. If I feed Purina One, I add fish oil because its not included (and neither is vit. c) My dogs prefer the Purina One.

I considered going with a lamb based food, but so many people have good things to say about green bag, so I went with it. Not only are his farts absolutely terrible, but he poops ALL the time, now. He got me up at 4:30 to poop. He walked around the yard, pooped....walked some more, pooped. He even pooped on our morning walk. They're firm, but come on...on his old food, he would have a big poop on our morning walk, a poop on his afternoon walk, and a poop after dinner; only 3 poops for the whole day. He pooped 3 times today before 7:00 a.m.!!! We're feeding him 2 cups at each meal, then 2 kongs during the day. I've already been told by others on here that it's too much food. I disagree, and so does my vet, plus after his bout of diarrhea, he lost almost 5lbs; he's skinny (a_daerr and jenniferk can attest to that) so we're trying to get some weight back on him.

I'm considering switching to a beef based food if his farts don't improve and his poops slow down. I was told they're fed beef at the track, so perhaps a beefy kibble will sit better. But, I'm still considering lamb.

he's skinny (a_daerr and jenniferk can attest to that) so we're trying to get some weight back on him.

He is skinny. He's the cutest, most dainty little boy I've ever seen!

I'd give the food for at least 4-6 weeks, and look at doing a gradual switch if the problems haven't ceased.

I know people say that green bag causes an increase in pooping. Would is also be true that it does not keep them full enough? James is on the same feeding schedule that he used to be on, and the same amount, but he is getting hungry for breakfast earlier than normal.