Hello From Maryland's Eastern Shore

Just checking in, as I'm sure my wife and I are going to have plenty of things to post about now that we've created an account here! We're in Chestertown, MD and we've had Brooks (formerly KC Bastone) for about three months now. He is my wife's second greyhound, and my first. Thanks to the good folks at GPA Delaware for helping us bring him into our home.

Here's a photo of our brindle buddy on the day he arrived:

11kus7o.jpg

He stands 28" high at the shoulder, so he's a pretty big fella!

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Welcome aboard from another Marylander! Handsome guy you have there!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Welcome...looking forward to many more stories and pics. Thanks for sharing a pic of your handsome guy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hello and welcome! I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing all about your handsome boy as he settles in.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@oldrunners, it's really a small world after all. I will say that he definitely takes an interest in cats on our walks, and he basically ignores the squirrels and brown rabbits that we encounter in our yard. All this is nothing compared to his reaction when a small white dog crosses his path. We were at the vet this morning and there were several cats in carriers. Brooks paid a minor amount of attention, even seeming eager to make friends, and didn't have a strong reaction. Then a small bichon frise (in an owner's arms) comes in and BOY did that wake him up. I guess he still wants a piece of that white lure that he constantly chases in dreams.

I'll look for some good threads to contribute to. Mostly have tons of questions right now, as we continue to acclimate to him just as much as he acclimates to us.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@oldrunners, it's really a small world after all. I will say that he definitely takes an interest in cats on our walks, and he basically ignores the squirrels and brown rabbits that we encounter in our yard. All this is nothing compared to his reaction when a small white dog crosses his path. We were at the vet this morning and there were several cats in carriers. Brooks paid a minor amount of attention, even seeming eager to make friends, and didn't have a strong reaction. Then a small bichon frise (in an owner's arms) comes in and BOY did that wake him up. I guess he still wants a piece of that white lure that he constantly chases in dreams.

I'll look for some good threads to contribute to. Mostly have tons of questions right now, as we continue to acclimate to him just as much as he acclimates to us.

I I was told that the cat testing that had been done at the track consisted of cats-in-a-cage. As you have discovered, that did not faze Brooks much at all, so he was deemed to be cat safe, or at least cat-correctable. Well, they didn't tell him about my Cheeto, who is very confident. Brooks, muzzled and leashed, met Cheeto on my porch. When he lunged, Cheeto dove under a wicker chair, which Brooks overturned, then pushed the chair into an end table. My porch has floor to ceiling screens. Next thing I knew, Cheeto was hanging by his nails as high up as he could climb! After that, the cats lived in the spare room until I could swap Brooks for a really cat safe girl. The big boys are my favorite, and I really liked him, but... Of all the dogs I have fostered over the years, he is only the second who was labeled cat safe and who really wasn't. Oh well, he is still a good boy. Enjoy him! Edited by oldrunners

I I was told that the cat testing that had been done at the track consisted of cats-in-a-cage. As you have discovered, that did not faze Brooks much at all, so he was deemed to be cat safe, or at least cat-correctable. Well, they didn't tell him about my Cheeto, who is very confident. Brooks, muzzled and leashed, met Cheeto on my porch. When he lunged, Cheeto dove under a wicker chair, which Brooks overturned, then pushed the chair into an end table. My porch has floor to ceiling screens. Next thing I knew, Cheeto was hanging by his nails as high up as he could climb! After that, the cats lived in the spare room until I could swap Brooks for a really cat safe girl. The big boys are my favorite, and I really liked him, but... Of all the dogs I have fostered over the years, he is only the second who was labeled cat safe and who really wasn't. Oh well, he is still a good boy. Enjoy him!

Sorry about Cheeto's trauma, but this is a great story! Also, I can confirm that Brooks still likes overturning things. We went out for dinner last night and returned to find that he'd knocked over the kitchen trash can (we thought it was safe because of the foot pedal). We're still learning the limits to his separation anxiety!