Need Antibiotic And Dosage Help

Sheba cut her right hind foot--the skin between two toes. I cleaned it with Betadine, applied antibiotic salve, and wrapped with gauze and nonstick stretchy tape covered with a sock. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and do the same steps unless it looks worse, in which case I'll take her to the vet.

I have three antibiotics on hand:

Amoxicillin 500 mg (my Rx, filled 2007, and lots of capsuls)

Cephalexin 500 mg (former canine Rx, filled 2006, and lots of capsuls)

Baytril 68 (Sheba Rx, filled 2012, and only 4 tablets)

Which one of these three should I give her and how often?

Bullitt had an injury like that a few weeks ago and it had to be stitched. Just be aware if you wait too long they won't be able to stitched. Looks like the first two antibiotics may be expired.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I wouldn't give any antibiotics just yet. See how it looks tomorrow and take her to the vet if necessary. In dealing with Truman's happy tail for the past two months, some advice is- make sure you clean the wound very well and apply some type of topical ointment/spray and don't wrap the bandages too tight.

Two of the listed reasons for the growing development of antibiotic strains of bacteria are

1. Unnecessary use of antibiotics. (Just because she cut her foot doesn't necessarily mean an antibiotic is required)

2. Patient failure to follow prescribed course of treatment. (This would include failing to take the entire prescribed course of antibiotics, which I'm pretty sure 4 Baytril would not be.)

Edited by 4My2Greys

The government had a study done on drug lifespan and found if properly stored (no high temps or humidity) drugs will last 5-10 years past

their expiration date with no loss of potency.

There are some exceptions such as Nitro Glycerin and Insulin.

I agree that antibiotics other than the salve should not be needed.

Two of the listed reasons for the growing development of antibiotic strains of bacteria are

1. Unnecessary use of antibiotics. (Just because she cut her foot doesn't necessarily mean an antibiotic is required)

2. Patient failure to follow prescribed course of treatment. (This would include failing to take the entire prescribed course of antibiotics, which I'm pretty sure 4 Baytril would not be.)

Absolutely!! Not completing a prescribed course of antibiotics and/or not using the correct dosage for the correct time are major causes of the development of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria - MRSA is a prime example.

Kudos for asking about correct dosage, but I have to wonder how come you have these antibiotics on hand in the first place. BTW, I do know that there are valid reasons for not completing a course (like having an adverse reaction to the drug involved), so apologies if that's the case, but sooo many people simply stop taking them when they feel better, which allows some bacteria to survive and 'learn'.

And I do agree with those who said that not every cut needs antibiotics. I'd simply keep the cut clean and covered till it starts to knit. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop