Update On Trooper

Guest kellybrown

Guest kellybrown

Spent the day at the Oncologist office. He feels it is osteosarcoma. They did more x-rays, ultrasounds, and bloodwork. Everything looked good and his bloodwork was normal. So if the cancer has spread, they can't see it. He said 90% chance that it will spread and that it may have already spread, we just don't know yet. They are amputating his leg tomorrow. I was preparing myself for this, I just didn't realize it would happen so fast. It was so hard leaving him tonight. He isn't the best car rider and stands most of the time. Since it is 1 1/12 hours away and down the mountain, I decided to leave him overnight. They would have wanted him back at 8:00 in the morning. We stayed with him until they closed at 6:00. There is an emergency vet in the same building, so they will be looking after him tonight. He was going to start his pain meds tonight. The surgeon is going to look at his x-rays in the morning and call us before surgery. They are also looking at his front foot. He has a racing injury and it is a little deformed. He said it looked like a previous fracture that never healed properly and has arthritis in it. So that is a little bit of a concern. But his foot has looked like this since I got him 4 1/2 years ago. He said it will take about 2 weeks to get the biopsy back so we will know for sure what type of cancer it is. He will then start chemotherapy and they will do x-rays every couple of weeks to make sure it hasn't spread. If we can just get through the next month or two and Trooper feels better, then I will be able to breathe. I've been an emotional wreck the last week.

Sending good thoughts for you and Trooper for a successful surgery tomorrow. You must feel like you're in a whirlwind you are in right now.

If you haven't already, there is good reading in the Osteo threads.

I'll be thinking of you and looking for a good report tomorrow afternoon!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest kellybrown

Thank you everyone. I did come across a video on you tube of a greyhound named Tristan who just had amputation. I don't know if they are on here, but that video gave me something to hold on to. My husband was actually looking for a few videos of trooper and they came up. It was a front leg amputation and I couldn't get over how well she was doing. I am hopeful.

Good thoughts for Trooper. I hope the surgery goes smoothly. Just to give you some idea of these pups on three legs, this was my Charlie. He was a rear leg amputee.

Look close on this one to see he only has three legs.

DSC_0048-2.jpg

DSC_0335-1.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

He's on the left out-pacing his 4 legged brother

DSC_0169-3.jpg

We never knew Charlie would be so crazy on three legs and we are forever grateful for having 21mths post dx with him. I hope you find some inspiration from these pics that these pups can do fine on 3 legs and will surprise you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending best wishes and healing light for Trooper.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Lots of prayers and hope coming your way.

I chose a front leg amp on a 12 yr old. She was a very young 12 yr old. I drove to OSU from NJ specifically so that Dr. Couto could tell me if he thinks she would be a good candidate even at her age. He said age was just a number.

Diamond had some arthritis, but her health was excellent. All the vets thought she was a good candidate. They all just thought she'd have a longer recovery time.

She fooled them all. Surgery was on a Fri, we were driving back to NJ on Tues. She actually did better than many of the younger patients.

She had a very happy and pain free 6 months before OS claimed another leg. Her lungs were always clear.