Guest disarmlily1979

Guest disarmlily1979

My husband and I adopted Fonzie back in July of this year (2012) and he does not seem to like us much. He goes up in our bedroom all day and refuses to come downstairs or go outside to pee or poop.He also doesn't seem too interested in eating all of his food, unless we just introduced it. He loves new food, but gets bored of it easliy. He doesn't respond to his name or anything. Well, the only thing he responds to is treats. It is a night and day difference. You bring out the treats and he can't get to you fast enough.

We wanted to adopt another one, but not for a while. We have 2 kitties as well and I wanted to keep our house at a 3 animal maximum, but I am starting to think that if we find him a friend, he will come out of his shell. I wanted to find a little girl grey, but I would like some thoughts on whether or not others think it would help at all. Based on the research I have done, they say spookies do better with other dogs in the home. Has anyone else been in this position? I refuse to give him back. I would imagine that it would only make him worse. Please help!

Since you don't want to adopt another right now, how about having another greyhound come over for some playdates or fostering for your group?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Maybe by trying playdates with other greyhounds you would get some idea as to whether another dog would help Fonzie and that would give you a better idea about adopting another pup.

Guest disarmlily1979

My husband and I went to an American Greyhound picnic and Fonzie seemed to finally perk up when we were around all of the other greys. We had previously taken him to a dog park by our house and he ignored all of the other dogs (non-greys) and trotted around the whole time, in an apprehensive fashion. When we were at the greyhound picnic, he sniffed other greys' butts and followed around mosly black greyhounds (Fonzie is black). So, I was thinking of adopting a playful, little black female greyhound this time.

I don't think we would want to foster at this time. Maybe if we didn't have kitties, but at this point it wouldn't be a good idea.

If YOU want a female, then get a female, but don't get a female because you think he'll prefer a female. Truth seems to be that two boys typically get along better than either a boy and a girl or two girls. Boys tend to be more easy going and thus it's pretty easy to find two that get along.

Get one whose personality you like--don't get a black one because he sniffed a black and one seemed interested--by all means if you're nuts about black hounds get one, but don't pick one that's black because of his reaction. After all, you need to like the dog too!

It took my Greyhound over a year for his true personality to emerge. You haven't had Fonzie all that long. He may change significantly yet.

Nothing you say indicates that he's actually a spook. Perhaps you were expecting more intereaction with a dog, but sleeping a lot and hanging out in the bedroom don't necessarily mean he's afraid. They may just mean he's one of those VERY COMMON super laid back dogs who spend the bulk of their time sleeping.

I've had my dog for five years. He has played a total of maybe 20 minutes in 5 years. He likes to eat, sleep, go for walks, eat, go for walks, sleep, eat, beg for food, sleep, go for walks, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest GalgoMom

I can sympathize with you - I adopted my boy back in May. Like your dog, he also spends all day in my bedroom on the 2nd floor. He used to not come down stairs to go outside to pee either - we would just guess when he started pacing and whining that it was time to bring him out. I, too, felt at times like he didn't really care much about my fiance and I. Getting a 2nd hound was never an option for us - My condo is spacious enough for 2 adults and 1 greyhound, but no more pets.

My fiance and I kind of turned it into a positive. We laughed about our "odd duck" dog, and said at least our new couch wasn't getting wrecked. At least he's not jumping on people as they walk through the door. I'm happy to say we accepted him on his terms, and he has really blossomed. He still spends all day in my bedroom, but now he gallops downstairs to greet me when I get home. He also comes downstairs when he needs to go out or wants a walk. Occasionally he hangs out in the kitchen for treats. His visits dowstairs are very, very brief, but he is happy and we don't force anything. He trusts my fiance and I, and every day he gets more playful with us. He loves trips to the dog park, the ball field, and we start basic obedience classes next week.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions, but I just wanted to say that geting a second greyhound isn't always the answer. In my case, the answer was TIME and Patience, and accepting the dog I had, not the dog I expected him to be.

Fonzie sounds a lot like Franny and she is not a spook at all. She is very laid back and likes to spend 99% of her time sleeping on her bed in our bedroom. It's very rare that she comes out and actually hangs out with the family. That is just her personality and we accept that with her. She has been like that the whole 2 1/2 years we have had her.

She is more social and outgoing when we are at Meet and Greets. She loves to go up to people for pets and lovin, but at home she is a different dog. She likes to just hang out by herself.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Every dog is an individual, and adoption groups try to assess the dog's needs, and the homelife and needs of adopters and find a perfect match. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Most greyhounds prefer homes with other greyhounds, or other dogs. When I have a home who only wants one dog - that takes more time to find a dog who will be happy alone. Most greyhounds do fine with cats, so don't let that stop you from getting another greyhound. About 75 - 80% can live with cats, from my experience. Or fostering. That is the best way to see if Fonzie and your cats like the newest dog in the house. And of course, you too. Your dog told you when you visited with other hounds that he prefers being around other dogs to being an only dog.

From my experiences, a dog who stays in a bedroom vs interacting with his humans, is not a happy dog.

Greyhound Gang has a booklet - Shy Greyhounds Steal Your Heart - but i didn't really read anything in your post that would lead me to think Fonzie is shy. He's just a dog who needs another dog to know how to enjoy life. I've found when greyhounds don't want to interact with their humans, they are not happy, and might prefer to company of another dog to bring joy back into their lives.

Greyhound Gang also offers a joy oil/mister to help those hounds who are experiencing a lack of joy in their lives.

Try to take Fonzie more places - particularly where there are other greyhounds. He's never experienced other breeds, so introductions in dog parks need to be done slowly and with care. Once he understands the language other dogs are speaking, he'll play with them too.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Every dog is an individual, and adoption groups try to assess the dog's needs, and the homelife and needs of adopters and find a perfect match. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Most greyhounds prefer homes with other greyhounds, or other dogs. When I have a home who only wants one dog - that takes more time to find a dog who will be happy alone. Most greyhounds do fine with cats, so don't let that stop you from getting another greyhound. About 75 - 80% can live with cats, from my experience. Or fostering. That is the best way to see if Fonzie and your cats like the newest dog in the house. And of course, you too. Your dog told you when you visited with other hounds that he prefers being around other dogs to being an only dog.

From my experiences, a dog who stays in a bedroom vs interacting with his humans, is not a happy dog.

Greyhound Gang has a booklet - Shy Greyhounds Steal Your Heart - but i didn't really read anything in your post that would lead me to think Fonzie is shy. He's just a dog who needs another dog to know how to enjoy life. I've found when greyhounds don't want to interact with their humans, they are not happy, and might prefer to company of another dog to bring joy back into their lives.

Greyhound Gang also offers a joy oil/mister to help those hounds who are experiencing a lack of joy in their lives.

Try to take Fonzie more places - particularly where there are other greyhounds. He's never experienced other breeds, so introductions in dog parks need to be done slowly and with care. Once he understands the language other dogs are speaking, he'll play with them too.

This may be more directed to the OP, but since I shared my story, I want to say that Franny is not an unhappy dog by any means. Even when I have fosters or dog sit she still prefers to hang by herself. This is her personality, she is not unhappy. There are plenty of times she comes out for some attention. When she's had enough she goes to lay down. This is just the way she is.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

My advice is... don't get a second greyhound because you think it will be good for the first one. When you have high expectations like that, it can be really disappointing when they don't turn out to be the cuddly, bonded pair that you hoped for. Sometimes they are, but I've found that greyhounds more or less "peacefully coexist" with their housemates. It's usually not a good idea to adopt another dog on the basis of solving problems with the first. We had Henry for almost two years before I even considered bringing in the added stress of a second dog. Like the others said, I would take Fonzie more places, try to socialize more, go on playdates, etc. Then if YOU decide you are prepared for the time, commitment, money, energy, etc., make a decision based on that.

Guest SealDogMermaid

While I def support what a_daerr is saying ^ , i figure i would weigh in with my own experiences, prefacing it by saying only you know when you are ready to take on a second grey, and regular grey playdates may in fact hold you over til youre fully ready :-) When got our first grey, a brindle male named Cody (was 6 at the time), he had the normal adjustment period where he was figuring out what the retired life was all about during which he went to avoiding us to slowly coming out of his shell til he was eventually velcro'd to our hip! But after about 6 months he started disengaging from us and sulking on his bed or in the corner most of the time. He didnt want to play much and while he would accept love and pets he didnt bully us for them as he normally would. Basically i think it sunk in that he was in his permanent home and that he would no longer be around his own kind. He was depressed. But as soon as we took him to the adoption center for a visit he instantly perked up and was back to his old self. We ended up getting our female just over a year after we got Cody and the his "blues" havent returned since. While they are not super bonded to each other, i know they enjoy each others company. They do play when they are outside together but in the house they give each other enough personal space. They arent glued to each other by any means, which i think is a healthy bond. :-)