Is Two Cups Ok?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

My boy, Bunny is at a good weight and he gets two cups of food twice a day, plus whatever else he can strong arm me out of! How much do you feed and how often do you feed your houndie?

I also have to keep switching around dry food as he gets picky,I haven't found anyone brand that he likes over the other. Is switching around a good thing?

Some hounds have sensitive tummies (meaning they have lots of gas) so switching may not be the best thing. My gh is petite so once I got her weight up, she gets fed x 2 per day and 1 1/2 cups at each feeding. She also gets a few cucumbers during the day and a cookie or 3.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Annie B gets fed 1.5 cups twice a day plus a few small dog biscuits during the day. She weighs 67 pounds and it's a perfect weight. IMO, the amount of food fed should be enough to keep them at a good weight; not too skinny and certainly not fat! I don't know how much calorie counts change from food to food, but if there's a great deal of difference, it could be that 4 cups a day could be too much or too little, depending on the food.

As far as switching around food, I don't know. If I did that to my girl, she'd be having loose stools or diarrhea every day. I think that switching around can make and/or encourage a dog to be a picky eater.

Brooke, our 60 pound female gets 4 cups/day, along with a couple of small treats and she's fine. She gets a lot of exercise too, generally speaking, certainly a lot more than other dogs in our neighbourhood.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

annie is 57-9# and gets 1.5 cup 2xs a day of nutro lamb and rice,4 squirts of cold pressed salmon oil, occassionally some cooked white rice and 2 large biskets and a kong daily

felix- 75-7# gets 2 cups(sometimes heaping) 2xs a day and the same treats as annie. i'm not big into treats.

both either chase soccer balls or something on the other side of the fence, appx 14+ miles of walkies or more during the week. i find if i up the food- then loose stools and gas. greys are mean to have a lean build. they are also 5years old, age has something to do w/ how much you feed- activitiy does decline a tad as they age(8+)

i generally stick with the same food until the manufacturer does something stupid like change the recipe. if it ain't broke then why fix it?

Guest starbuck

Starbuck hovers between 64 and 65 pounds, and we feed her approximately 3.3 cups of food a day, total. This usually means that she has 1.5 cups in the morning (7:00 a.m.), along with her probiotic and fish oil pill and a few pieces of kibble in her Kong (with peanut butter), and then she gets .75 of a cup at dinner time and at bed time (5:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.). Our vet suggested splitting the evening meal so that she'd stop throwing up bile in the mornings. It seemed as though her stomach was too empty and she'd start working herself up with dry heaves. (And, as a person who sometimes gets very sick when she doesn't eat, I understand.)

She also gets occasional treats, of course, and it's worth mentioning that I could leave a 30 pound bag of food out and she'd eat the entire bag and want more by the end of it. She's a huge glutton.

Edited by starbuck

Our crew gets 2.5 cups of food per day, split between 2 meals of ~1 cup each and a small snack at bedtime to prevent vomiting in the morning. They are all healthy weights.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest DragonflyDM

It depends on the food. Some food is just filler and you might as well give him potato chips for dinner. Other food is really packed with nutrients and he doesn't need as much to get what he needs. What does the label on the bag say?

I feed Boomer the Fresh Vital in the tube or raw food--- needs about 1/2lbs in the morning and another 1/2lbs in night.

Guest SparrowLake

The kennel where we adopted our girl from suggest 2 cups a day (one in the morning/one in the evening). We give her some steamed rice and salmon fish oil mixed in with it. She is 56 pounds right now.

Our new boy Pete loves food. He receives 2c dry Victor's dog food Chicken variety + 1 cup really mushy rice + 2-3T plain Greek yogurt. When he does throw up in the AM it has been things he should not have swallowed, squeekies,ear plugs, pieces of toys, string, tin foil. He was only gassy if I mixed in a food with beef products in it, my Golden is on a different food and one of them will be switching. Pete has become gasious these last couple of days. The only change I have made was to add in a supplement called Missing Link to his food. His stools were really loose when we got him from the kennel directly after his neuter, he also has Giardia, so he was on a second round of Panacur. His stool has firmed up. but usually the first couple of pieces, the rest is still like puddin. He has been with us since Aug 11, and he gotcha date, when we signed the papers was 23 Aug.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Desi is 83 lb....raced at 81......gets 2 cups of Nat.Bal. Venison/Sw.Potato twice daily + a couple of cookies for a lunch snack, and

a couple more for bedtime snack.

Probably also depends on how active your hound is. We take long walks, but when given the opportunity to run, he'd rather

just amble.........retired, don't cha know.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

With the exception of Honey, who was 69 when she came of the track and held steady at 73, all my girls have been in the mid to low 60's. All of them, including Honey get (or got) 1.5 cups twie a day. Have you tried a sensitive stomach formula? Nadia would lose interest in any food that bothered her stomach (took me a while to figure that one out).

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)