Keeping Greyhound Off The Bed

Ok...I think I started a very bad thing, when Gigi first came home we allowed her to get up on the bed and thought it was so sweet :) now, however she has become a beast to sleep with! My husband and I are not sleeping because she is constantly pushing and rearranging.

I have tried to get her to get down, but she always gets right back up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrain her to not jump on the bed. I fear that I won't be able to. She has come to think if it as her bed...she takes all her toys there......

I know and can handle it with our other 2 non-grey dogs ( neither of them jump on the bed unless I tell them it's okay and they both get down whe told) greyhounds just aren't the same!

I hope someone can help me :(

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest HHHounds

Just say no! We have not allowed a grey on beds or furniture and our furniture thanks us. We have cozy beds from Costco in the bedroom, family room and basement so they have a great place to sleep. It also helps that we have a full size antique bed for 2 adults so there really is no room for them on the bed! Good luck!

My last one used to be a pillow-thief - layinng along them if you weren't careful.

Don't allow the dog to have its toys on the bed. Get a soft nest type bed for it and stick in the the corner of your room. Teach it an 'OFF, OFF!" command and it will soon know to go to its own bed.

my grey sleeps on the couch at night (and when ever possible) he only gets on bed if I have stayed in a bit too long and he wants his breakfast I think. My daughters dog sleeps on the bed in the spare room they consider it the dogs bedroom.

Guest Liz_in_PA

You can do it. Don't get angry (yep, been there). Just be firm and repetitive. It will help to have both of you in the bed at the time so you can make the surface inhospitable. Go to bed half an hour early so you have time for the training. Definitely use a consistent word like OFF. DH complicated matters by using DOWN which is used elsewhere.

DH also gives a good cuddle and scratch after the OFF. We hear muttering and grumbling, but we're all happier, including Dash. (Gigi has her own bed, right?) They have their bucket style beds that they really like for lying with their feet in the air, so they're not tortured.

yes they all have there own beds. She just wants to be close to us. I know I sound like a baby, but it is soooo much harder to discipline these dogs! She knows her manners and follows the other rules in the house, I quess I have just been to lenient with the bed issue. Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to start tonight and hopefully she gets it quick.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

You can do it. Don't get angry (yep, been there). Just be firm and repetitive. It will help to have both of you in the bed at the time so you can make the surface inhospitable. Go to bed half an hour early so you have time for the training.

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read on here today!!!! Seriously? DH and I don't make the surface inhospitable, it just makes things more cosy because there's more human to love up to, snuggle into and give cuddles to......

But like the others, consistency is good although we've not managed to keep our dogs off our bed or the couch, and nor do we want to. They do get down when we tell them to and the only times we have problems are when its cold and Brandi wants to snuggle in between us. Or when it's time to get up.

When I read the title of this thread I :rofl and said to myself good luck with that. :rofl I know that's not helpful at all. But thank you for the :rofl that I needed today. (Srsly, others here have given you good advice. You can do it.)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yea it doesn't help that my husband travels a lot for work and I like my doggie snuggles when he's gone! I don't really mind it, but she has started kicking us! Lol thanks for all the great suggestions :)

amr236.jpg

What we do is to make their dog bed more appealing than our bed. They each have 2 futon mattresses folded in half, so 4 layers to that GIANT dog bed. Plus a few comforters on top to nest around in. They really seem to enjoy the added height to their beds. Rainy prefers her bed to our big bed at night. Sunshine will snuggle with me until BF comes to bed. She jumps over to her futon bed with an easy "ok time for you to move"

Honestly if you cannot easily get your dogs to vacate the bed when asked they probably shouldn't have bed privileges in the first place. :)

oh and Sunshine also deposits toys on the big bed during the day, but she still knows that the humans sleep there at night and she sleeps in "her" bed. Which is actually comfier than the big bed!

------

Jessica

Do you crate your dog when you're gone?

My husband and I did the same thing when we got Boo. At first he would NOT jump on the bed, ever, but once he discovered it there was no turning back. Initially, we wanted him to sleep in our bed with us, but a few nights in, he became a giant bed hog. Our realization that he shouldn't be a night time bed dog was when he started sneaking away in the night to steal items from around the house and collect them in his crate... then he began to chew them.

So, we decided crating him at night (like we used to do at first) was the way to go. He seems happy to sleep in his crate right outside the bedroom, we get a good sleep, and when we are home he is allowed to sleep in bed all day if he wants to... which he usually does.

If Gigi does well being crated, perhaps you could do that at night and let her enjoy the bed when you are home but not sleeping.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest HoundWorks

We are doing this now and it's possible! Teach the "off" command and "go to your bed". Dex now knows that once the lights go out he needs to go to his bed on the floor. Definitely make it comfy with some extra blankets and a pillow. We did have to spend a few nights taking him off the bed in the middle of the night but he's gotten the hang of It pretty well now. We didn't make this mistake with Siri. Once we got a second dog we knew there was no way we could have two on the bed! I wouldn't get any sleep! Good luck!

If you really want your dog to not keep attempting to join you on the bed, it will probably be easiest if you make a clean break of it and never again allow her up there. You may know that it's different if [specific situation], but it may confuse the dog if sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't ok. And since she's been on the bed and discovered she likes it, she'll likely keep trying really really hard to get back up. If you reward her once for being determined to come back up after telling her no repeatedly, she'll just learn that she has to keep trying and trying because it might take asking 20 times before you give in and let her on.

I'm lucky that Monty never wanted to come on the furniture, because he just isn't into furniture. He has nice beds and the cats have the furniture (I guess I should admit that Allie, our nongrey, has the loveseat - the only piece of furniture "dog available," but she doesn't go on there when there are cats on there and asks to be invited if a person is already there).