How To Stop Zero From Licking Wound

Hi All,

Zero's daddy. He recently put a decent sized gash in his top upper front paw area from severe anxiety-based pawing on his baby gates. I'm guessing this is how it happened. For the past few days I've been putting hydrogen peroxide on it, Bacitracin, gauze and medical tape around the gauze. I also spray Bitter Apple on his paw so he doesn't try to lick or chew bandages off while I'm at work (ten hours a day). Today I came home and low and behold he chewed the bandage off and I found blood stains on my guest bedroom cot. Any tricks of the trade or ideas? I've got to stop him from doing this.

Sincerely,

Tony

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Sorry to hear Zero has a boo-boo. Here's a very recent thread that you should find useful. http://forum.greytal...abethan-collar/.

ETA: Forgot to mention... you may want to stop the hydrogen peroxide. That stuff is pretty brutal.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

hydrogen peroxide will let a wound heal from the inside out . generally i apply antibiotic oinment once to fight bacteria and that's it. the oinment prevents a wound from drying out and scabing. once you have rinsed it and dressed it w/ oinment-once- then it's a matter of keeping it clean and it will heal. if you dog will tolerate a bandage- peroxide, dry, bandage w. gauze and a tad of vet wrap and wait. 10-1 the bandage will be off before you turn your back, maybe you will be lucky. some dogs neurotically chew on wounds, some don't....wait and try all alternatives,there is no set right or wrong. what ever works.

I'm anti peroxide--yup it kills bacteria but, it also kills healthy re-generating cells too. A topical antibacterial ointment will help the healing process but, will also bring attention to the wound too. Sometimes just cleaning with saline is your best bet. Of course, your vet will give your most appropriate advise.

Yep peroxide only once at the beginning. After that it does more damage than helps. Muzzle with poop guard/ or duct tape at the end. I also use baby socks to keep clean but allow to breathe. I use vet wrap or those Velcro things that you use around cords at the top & fold sock over so they can't pull off if not muzzled. Good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest greygirls2

I've become a big fan of Manuka Honey for treatiung wounds since Diamond got attacked by a loose dog 3 years ago. The honey is a natural antibiotic and has some anesthetic qualities to it also. It healed3 of Diamond's biggest wounds with in a week after 3 months of trying everythuing under the sun to get her to heal with no results. Her next step was skin grafting and she was already scheduled for it when I decided to try the honey as a last ditch effort......I wish I had done that sooner, it would have saved her a lot of pain.

annie sez..."sock over boo boo! the best fun of all getting it off". she's a pro at removing anything and everything thing that covers a wound! i used an excellent medical bootie- with velcro- put vet wrap over the velcro- sock over the bootie w/ vet wrap. came home to shredded vet wrap, sock, and bootie in the middle of the floor!

i have been told the oil of cloves taste really nasty and that helps deter the chewing....annie thought it was pretty yummie- like sen-sen gum!