Need Help For Alternatives To Elizabethan Collar

001-2.jpg

Lexie had her bandage taken off (9 staples put in) Vet wants to "air it out for another week before staples removed. She can reach through the eliz collar. She is constantly licking it which is a no no. I will use the theraboot at night but is there anything iI can use so it doesn't have to be covered during the day. If she ever needs to be stiched again I would do stitches, The staples look so painful :( She was crying when they took the bandage off and her poor skin all around it is red and raw from the taping. The staples are by the side of her paw. She will take a baby sock off. Any suggestions are welcome!

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I would have to go with a muzzle with a stool guard or duct tape on it. She might try and lick it once but I'm sure it would ouch a little and she wouldn't do it again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jar of peanut butter so she leaves the paw alone? :bgeorge

The only thing that worked when Rocket was licking a wound was to muzzle him. Ironically, after one night of wearing a muzzle, he never licked the wound again.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Assuming she won't EAT a sock... my preferred method is to take a ladies' trouser sock (the more cotton content, the better) and put it on. Tug it up so it fits nicely (i.e. no extra sock hanging off the toes for the pup to trip over) and reaches above the hock (or the equivalent joint on the foreleg). Take a few turns around with vet wrap. Flip the extra sock down over the vet wrap, protecting the vet wrap from being picked at. Voila! -- protected yet open to the air. And nothing is too tight and uncomfortable. The vet wrap can be reused several times before it loses the stickiness.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

All great suggestions, Thanks! I don't have a muzzle with a stool guard but I guess I could duct tape it. I like the sock idea. Those staples look so gross to me. She can't snag them on anything can she? We tried the peanut butter but she licked the jar then her foot then the jar then her foot..lol

Ouch, Lexie! Something like a bell boot for horses might work. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Bell_boots The rubber ones can be cut and might be able to be made small enough to fit a hound's skinny leg. Maybe a sock underneath it and lots of vetrap. ?

Feel better, girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Well I tried the muzzle..Forget that!!.lol. She is taking the side of her foot with the stitches and trying to tear the muzzle off. Sock is on now. We will see how that works. I have the therapaw for outside. I just hate to have her wear it all day since the vet wants her to "air" it out. Maybe I should hire a neighborhood kid to dog sit and say "leave it" 200 times a day while I get out of the house...lol

Maddie was able to get her e-collar off when she hurt her paw and had to get stitches. I used her muzzle and put duct tape over it and then came home for lunch so would not have to go all day with it on.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

That looks really uncomfortable - poor thing. Do you know why they used staples and not stitches? Just curious.

We had to go to the evet since it was labor day weekend. They only had one evet and 9 dogs were ahead of us. I think they wanted to do things quickly. They also didn't want to sedate her. They just gave her a numbing shot. After I saw all those staples, if there is ever another times she needs to be patched up I would insist on stitches instead. I think stitches close the wound better but I am not a vet. It is just my opinion.

ouch!!!! that looks very painful, poor girl! :( :(

I agree -- Nube had staples for his bloat surgery, and Rainey was stitched (for the same surgery) -- the staples were way worse.

sending healing prayers!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Foot wounds are just the pits! Either staples or stitches can pull out, and the skin is so thin that re-doing it is impossible.

If she has a sensitive palate you can try some anti-licking bitter-apple-y spray.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Don't worry. It will still "air" just fine in a loose fitting sock.

Staples are much faster and are less painful to put in than sutures, so they can often be done without even numbing the area, or just a local. Sutures usually require at least sedation except in the calmest of dogs. Even though they look worse to us, staples are usually no more painful to have in or take out either, compared to sutures. The exception is when they turn, and then they can be painful trying to turn them back around to where they can be removed.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Whoa, so crazy that they didn't have to sedate her to do that! What a brave dog. I'm in shock! Our boy has to be sedated to have even surface wounds touched at all. Those do indeed look painful... good luck with the healing process!

Sweet Lexie, your staples made me shiver! But I am a wuss when it comes to things like that anyways. Feel better quickly! No licking!

Miss Pat G

Aw, Bell Walker! Cute picture. Our boys grandmother!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

we just contended w/ a totally split web and annie was crazed w/ a bandage. eventually we were able to expose the paw to dry out and used the bite not collar.very similar to the towel collar. i have made my own bite not(until i found out at a tag sale for $.50) using a towel and then corregated cardboard over it and duct tape it needs to really be the full lenght of their neck and just about wedged under the ears to be effective. you can't walk them w/ a martingale, a simple nylon choke collar is the only thing that fits under it. annie wasn't able to reach the paw to chew or lick w/ the collar. it's a possible solution. also, once it starts to really heal, a tad of medicated foot powder stops the itch and keeps it dry. oy, i hate the look of staples but they really do a good job on a wound..... another "frankenwienie" out there!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest VanillaBean

Owwwwww! I want to tear at those nasty staples!

NGAP suggests this towel-collar. I've never used it. I'm not sure how well it'd work with a foot-wound, though. They can get at those with their heads pretty straight.

This towel collar works great--at least on my fiance's English Cocker Spaniel!