Need Some Help With Pills

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

Beckett is on 4 different meds (Doxycycline, Fish oil, Niacin, and Vitamin E) and during breakfast takes 6 pills and 5 pills at dinner. I started off using pill pockets which worked great but were way too expensive to do on a permanent basis. Ive tried wrapping them in cheese (which he goes nuts for) but he doesn't always get the pills down with it. And I've tried just plain old peanut butter. Is there anyone out there thats in the same boat that has a recipe that would work? Or anything at this point because all that really works consistently is opening his mouth and placing them in the back and holding his mouth closed till he swallows (I hate doing this it just feels wrong.)

We use liverwurst here.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can you give some of the pills in his food? I use a mortar and pestle to grind pills into dust and just mix into a regular meal. I understand your frustration, I really do!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Energy11

We open our capsules and put them in yogurt. We put our pills in either peanut butter or roll them in 2% cheese balls. This usually works. Good Luck. I have all chow hounds, so, except for Cari, "pilling" is easy!

all that really works consistently is opening his mouth and placing them in the back and holding his mouth closed till he swallows (I hate doing this it just feels wrong.)

Does he object or get stressed with you do this? If not, there's nothing wrong with doing this, and it's often the most efficient way to go. When my girl was sick a couple years ago, she was on 4-5 pills with each meal for several months. Trying to hid the pills in food was making her pick around and take forever to eat. She doesn't object at all to me opening her mouth and putting the pills in, and it was much faster to just do it that way. I'd have her meal ready so that I could put down her food immediately after I gave her the pills. And if you get the pills far enough back, you really shouldn't even need to hold his mouth closed until he swallows. I got pretty good at holding all 4-5 pills in my fingertips at one time so that I would just have to do it once.

My dogs all eat their fish oil capsules like it's a treat, and I just drop it on top of their food. If your dog won't eat them, you can poke a hole in it and squirt the oil over the food so you have less pills to get him to swallow.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest DeniseL

I would bake chicken breast, then take a cube of it, make a slit in it, slide the pill in, and then 'spackle ' it shut with peanut butter. The trick with maya was to make it small enough that she wouldn't really chew it, and thus not risk biting into the pill. I would have to rotate my pill technique every so often because she would eventually wise up. Sometimes I would use tiny meatball pieces using the same peanut butter paint. Often I would 'mold' cheese around the pill, again just small enough to cover the pill and she would swallow it down. Sometimes I would have to stick it to the inside of her mouth with peanut buttet, which I didn't like doing either, but it usually worked. Maya had to take sometimes 6 tramadols in a day, which, I guess must taste really nasty because when she bit into one, forget it. I would have to come up with a new technique. good luck! My girl now will eat anything in her dish so I dont think I will have the same problem with her.... :)

I use Cheese for Rocket's pills and found that doing this lets them go right down.

Take a slice of American cheese and divide it into 4 pieces. Take one piece and put 3 pills (or whatever fits) up the middle. Fold over each side and press it down in your warm hand - sort of making a cheese tube with the pills inside. This keeps the piece of cheese small enough that he just swallows it, pills and all. If he has more than 3 pills, i just put up to 3 in each piece. Make sure when you give it to him that you feed it to him the long way and not sideways.

When i do this with Rocket the cheese slides right down and he is immediately looking for the next piece. In this house, cheese works better than anything else i've tried.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest PiagetsMom

Someone here, in a previous thread, recommended cream cheese for pills - it's worked great for us, too. Take a little blob, cover your pill, and down the hatch! :thumbs-up

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest IndyHound

Can you give some of the pills in his food? I use a mortar and pestle to grind pills into dust and just mix into a regular meal. I understand your frustration, I really do!!

That would work except for the vitamin e and fish oil are both gel pills.

And when I open his mouth and put them in without anything on he usually refuses to eat after. He'll sniff the food then literally turn up is nose and turn his back to me and walk away.

Edited by IndyHound

when I put them down my hound's throat, I either wrap them in a small amount of cheese, PB, or even applesauce (so they slide down AND to avoid aftertaste), or I follow them up with a little treat. And my hounds know they're coming because all pill rituals start with a kiss to the tip of their noses before I pry teeth apart (it makes me feel better).

If that doesn't work, a piece (1/6 or 1/8) of bread can be used to make the pocket, and you can lightly coat it with something tempting if that's needed. Works well in my house with one dog, but my other hound carefully chews all of his food, so there is no 'disguise' that works (down the hatch for him).

Angel Batman would show up on schedule, without being asked, to have pills stuffed down his throat. Because he got a nice treat after :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I take canned food, put the pills in a couple of TBS and make a ball out of it. Hold food ball in right hand. Open dogs mouth with my left hand and put food ball way back in the throat. Shut mouth and hold closed with left hand. Dog will swallow in a few seconds. Praise dog. Wash hands. This works for me and is the way they do it at my vets.

Dreamy gets pills 3 times a day. I use liverwurst in the morning when she gets 3 pills. DH uses a slice of cheese for her afternnon pill. Then for her last pill before bedtime I use cream cheese. She loves her treats and so do the other pups because they get some too.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

That would work except for the vitamin e and fish oil are both gel pills.

And when I open his mouth and put them in without anything on he usually refuses to eat after. He'll sniff the food then literally turn up is nose and turn his back to me and walk away.

What JJNG said, poke a hole in the capsules and drizzle the oil over food or a treat. Lots of excellent suggestions here for treat vehicles!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have had picky pup pill syndrome here as well. No matter how well I disguise it always gets spit out. My solution is to grind the pills into powder and mix them up with the entire meal. Usually things like smelly canned sardines, mixed with cottage cheese, eggs, etc. is enough to disguise it. I am not sure if it is okay to grind up all types of pills, but most of them you can.

Also: Dogs are usually a little more cautious with their first bite of something but if they like it, and you continue feeding it, they tend to just start gulping it down without thinking. So you can give chunks of chicken (or whatever works!), and once they are being gulped down, you can try one wrapped around a pill. Sometimes you can trick them this way, as they don't really tend to chew anyways. :)