Need Advice: Considering Returning :-(

Guest jenniferk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HoundWorks

I was just reading through your story and I'm glad to hear that you've found a neighbor to walk your hound with. That was going to be my suggestion! Next best thing to getting a second dog which you are not ready to do yet. I've found that fearful dogs learn best from being around other dogs. So I think the more dogs you can walk with the better. It sounds like you have reasonable solutions to each of the issues. Good luck he is gorgeous!

Good luck with your decision to keep him!

One of the things that caught my attention, tho

His energy. While he doesn’t like long walks or exercise, he does get crazy Tasmanian-devil type playful spurts because he’s so young. (He jumps and whirls around, usually damaging our house badly and sometimes scratching us if we happen to be in his way.) Our trainer said this is normal behavior for a young dog
It's also normal for a greyhound of any age. A lot of people call them "zoomies". My girl is soon turning 10 in December and still gets a zoomie attack a couple times a day. They don't last as long as they used to, but she still goes from 0-60 in the blink of an eye like a ferret on Red Bull. Bounces around, attacks her toys, tosses them, chases them, play-bow/body slams them and then, as quick as it started, she's napping again. Usually just as I get the camera ready <_<

A 2 yr old is still in "Landshark" mode, and will calm down (usually) into the couch potato we all know and love. But the zoomies may stay :)

Edited by Gryffenne

Chad's 'cat training 101' protocol may work well with fairly calm or bold cats, but it may not be such a good idea with a skittish cat. I'd be concerned about injury to the person trying to hold the cat in the room, as well as the process being very stressful for the cat, making the cat even more afraid of the dog. I've also found that if the cat is picked up and being held by a person, it often becomes more interesting to dogs.

A slight variation to the setup that might work better with skittish cats is to have the cats behind a baby gate, in an area where they are comfortable, but will stay within sight so that you can work on training with Django. To help the cats be more comfortable around Django, you can also feed them treats or canned food while he is visible on the other side of the gate (or near him when he's crated).

Having skittish cats makes the task harder, but it's doable. My cats tend to be on the skittish side and will run and hide from strange dogs. I've fostered greyhounds who tested completely cat safe after spending a weekend at a friend's house with bold cats who stand their ground, swat at dogs, and even stalk and chase dogs. These same hounds are often very interested in my cats who run. It takes time and training, both for the cats to get used to the dogs and even come into the room, and for the dog to learn to ignore the cats.

Django may just be curious and want to play with the cats, which his jumping around and barking seems to indicate. But I'd be careful about assuming a wagging tail means he wants to play. It depends on how he's wagging and what the rest of his body language is saying. A tail wag does not necessarily mean a happy dog. Dogs also wag when they are excited, aroused, or even anxious, but it usually looks different.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I am happy to hear you are keeping Django (love his name by the way). I know both you and your husband have been through a bit with your boy and have worked hard to make it work. Pat yourselves on the back for this as it's not easy. I hope all works out and believe it will in time.

Django is a beauty!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Congrats! Being in a similar situation, I totally understand the back and forth you go through, emotionally, trying to figure out if the dog you have bonded with (but might not be the right dog for you and your experience/lifestyle) is a dog you are able to hang on to and make happy... as well as be happy WITH. It is a such a huge and hard decision.

It is a weird, tough situation you no doubt have been thinking about ALL the time I bet. I'm happy you and your husband feel you have made the right choice; I'm sure you have.

As much as he might not be the perfect dog for you guys right now, I bet you will both (the dog and you/husband) adapt and be great for each other. Even if he is not a perfect match, I'm sure you will both learn and make yourselves right for each other as time passes.

Good luck and happy dog trails. Please message me if you need to commiserate about sometimes aggressive/spooky weird greys. My husband and I (first time dog owners) are still trying to figure out if we are the right home that will make our boy happy.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

JJ brings up a good point, I forgot to add in my explanation the most important thing:

when you bring the cat into the room, you should sit on the floor with the cat in your lap and keep the cat calm. You do NOT stand up and hold the cat. Anything in your arms above a greyhounds head, will instantly be interesting to the hound. Thats why when people in pet stores pick up their little ankle biters greyhounds really want to see the little thing.

Another thing, if your cat is skittish, do not allow your cat to run away, this will also intice the hound. You need to keep the cat safe and calm in your lap.

Of my two cats, one is a rabbit (runs at the sight of new fosters) and one is a fighter (stands his ground and will smack the hounds if they get too close). I always use the skittish one to train, but as I said, I am sure to keep my cat calm and in my lap. One way to do this if the cat is totally unstable is a kitty burrito (towel wrapped around the cat). The other thing, if the cat is meowing and making noise, this can complicate the training.

Chad

You also might want to explore some chemical intervention if he's THAT scared of walks and the outside world. If they are so freaked out they cannot relax enough to learn the world isn't a bad place. ;)

I agree that medication is worth considering. We had a foster who was nervous; hated being alone and was very twitchy and skittish on walks. We put her on an anti-anxiety med for just a short time (6 months) and saw a HUGE change in her. She was adopted just as we were weaning her off the meds and has done beautifully in her new home.

Django is gorgeous and I wish you the very best! You sound very caring, patient, and committed to making this work, which is the perfect recipe for success, IMO. :) Thanks for coming back to update us all! I hope you'll keep us posted so we can hear how your stunning boy is getting on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jenniferk

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great suggestions about cats. It's working! I didn't know I was supposed to distract him when he looked at the cats, but now that I do, he does it easily and is quick to look or walk away. I'll continue working on it daily, and Alicia (a_daerr) gave me some good tips for how to progress.

As for everything else...it's going wonderfully! He went to the kennel recently while we were on vacation, and that seemed to almost trigger a "reset" button in him. For the past week, he's had absolutely no issues, walking or otherwise. I realize that this period of him being an angel may not last, but I feel so much better able now to handle any issues that come up than I did 4.5 months ago when we got him. I'm so happy we hung in there. :)

Hi - glad things are working out for all of you! He's beautiful!

And please - go very slowly with the cat introductions! Better to be over-careful than to hvae something un-do-able happen. Go very slowly...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest itsagreytlife

He IS beautiful and I can see that love--I see that same thing from both of mine! I really admire you, and especially your husband, for sticking with this situation. You, for your natural love & devotion to animals & willingness to help those in need. Your husband, because he is being what I consider a real outstanding guy--accepting a difficult situation, (something he specifically did not want), and doing whatever he can to change his way of thinking and acting to make life better for everyone. That's the "right stuff" right there. Its not courage when its something you're not afraid of. So, kudos dude! :balloonparty

My first grey had similar problems, mostly because he needed to be with other greys. After 2 weeks of escalating aggression it was strongly suggested that we return him. Our group was afraid something would happen to our kid and his littler neighborhood friends. It was hard to accept "failure" but my group (particularly our foster coordinator) convinced me it wasn't unusual and they were as committed to us as they were to the dogs. I "tried out" a new one the following week, and here I am over a year later with that "trial dog" (the sweetest, smartest little black female btw)--and as of 2 mos ago, a goofy giant of a boy we named "Chance."

The best advice on getting a grey I have read on this site is: Patience, Patience, Patience. The second best advice: Relax, Relax, Relax. These words have helped me many a time.

Good luck to all three of you!! You're a fam now! :beatheart

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't a fault on your character if the dog doesn't work in your household, you and the dog deserve to be happy. You need to do hat is best for your household. Good luck with this difficult decision, hugs sent your way.