Rapid Onset Of Dehydration

Guest ronansmom

Guest ronansmom

Ronan crossed the Bridge three weeks ago. He went from behaving fine in the morning to severe dehydration by early evening. Later that night the emergency hospital vet told me he was in very bad condition including bleeding from the rectum due to internal bleeding from the intestines. The next morning I let him go. I'm heartbroken. Has anyone ever heard of this fatal rapid onset of dehydration?

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet boy Ronan. I know dehydration can manifest from different issues but am not a vet so really do not know for sure what could have caused his sudden passing. Perhaps HGE? Again truly very sorry.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Internal bleeding causes dehydration and it can indeed happen that fast. I am sorry for your loss.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

My Emmy woke up fine one morning, ate breakfast and then proceeded to vomit it up. Two hours later we had her at the vet and she was already dehydrated and had to be put on fluids immediately. I had no idea before that that they can dehydrate that quickly. She was suffering from HGE apparently and it has a rapid onset.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

To the other posters....what does HGE stand for? Are there warning signs?

To the OP, I am so sorry for your loss.

Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs is a sudden-onset episode of diarrhea, often very bloody in nature. Some dogs may vomit. The exact cause is unknown, but there are many theories. Stress may play a role in the development of HGE. This disease may affect any breed, gender, and age.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest IrskasMom

My Granddog ( Shih-Poo) just recently had HGE and i took him immediatly to the ER Vet in Annapolis. The Vet told me ,it's mostly seen in small Breed Dogs , but I would not rule out Greyhounds or other large Breeds. I have to say , if I would have waited another Day (as my Daughtrer in Law suggested) he would have died that Night. It is very rapid and Dehydration is the most prevelent Symptom. So yes, it could have been a Factor in Ronan's Case.

I am so very sorry for your Loss of Ronan.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest BlueCrab

"Ronansmom" - so sorry that you lost your boy so suddenly.

Not knowing much about HGE, how does the severe dehydration manifest itself? And what is there about HGE that tells you you've got something more than just a normal upset tummy? As Erika's DIL suggested waiting another day, I know many of us are inclined to wait a day or so when we find runny poo or diarrhea to let it work itself out. How does HGE manifest itself so that you say "we're going to the vet NOW" rather than waiting that extra - apparently possibly fatal - day?

Carolyn - it tends to be rapid onset and quite bloody. Here's some info: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23311.htm

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"Ronansmom" - so sorry that you lost your boy so suddenly.

Not knowing much about HGE, how does the severe dehydration manifest itself? And what is there about HGE that tells you you've got something more than just a normal upset tummy? As Erika's DIL suggested waiting another day, I know many of us are inclined to wait a day or so when we find runny poo or diarrhea to let it work itself out. How does HGE manifest itself so that you say "we're going to the vet NOW" rather than waiting that extra - apparently possibly fatal - day?

With Emmy it was the blood in the stool. With her HGE she's was pooping almost pure blood and had been fine the day before. She threw up her breakfast and two hours later was pooping water and blood so it was off to the vet. If it had been normal diarrhea I would have waited but the presence of blood sent me running to the vet.

She was immediately put on fluids, started on an antibiotic and food was with held for two days. She had to be eating and having normal stools before she was allowed to come home and that was at the 3 day mark.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest ronansmom

Thanks all who posted. Ronan was fine in the morning. No noticeable distress at all. At 2:00 pm I took him to our vet because he had trouble walking. With a history of back arthritis I thought it was that. He had no fever and received a cortisone shot. By 4:30 pm Ronan did have diarrhea. It was not bloody so I was not alarmed. By 6:30pm the poop was literally pouring out him. Drove him to the emergency vet at that time. the vet had him on fluids right away and at 11 pm she told me he was doing okay. By 2 am she said he was not doing well, had him on fluid and blood transfusions since he was then pooping bloody stool. At 7 am she said he was not well. It was so quick. But I was with him.

Edited by ronansmom

I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes things happen quickly. I lost my senior in December to a bleeding tumor of the liver. He too, ate dinner, curled up in bed with me and went to sleep. By midnight he was in distress, became critical and I let him go by noon as there was nothing left to do. From fine to gone in less than 12 hours is hard but in the end you gave him to ultimate gift by being by his side as he passed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. That is so devastating. My girl, Faye, had HGE a few months ago - started vomiting in the early a.m. (around 3:00 a.m.). Began with bloody, explosive diarrhea by 6:00 a.m. I was on the way to the e-vet by 9:00 a.m. She spent two days at the emergency vet before being stabilized. It was all very sudden - no warning whatsoever. It was my first experience with it and we were not able to identify the cause.