Coconut Oil Inhibits Bacteria That Cause Tooth Decay

I just saw this article on the local news website and was very excited! There have been threads on GT now and then about the general health benefits of coconut oil, but given how many greyhounds have bad teeth, this is pretty exciting:

Coconut oil combats tooth decay

I cook eggs in coconut oil daily for my dogs. I started this ages ago for Jaynie but have extended it (on a smaller basis) to my other two. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so I'm not sure how putting it on food would work unless you heated it up first, but it's got all sorts of health benefits and here's another so it's probably worth figuring out what works for your hound.

It is worth noting that Jaynie has the smoothest, most beautiful shiny coat, and I am sure the coconut oil has something to do with that as well.

It has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Amazing stuff!

This is a good article about coconut oil and dogs: http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest wmlcml6

One of our greyhounds cannot tolerate insects and bites herself like crazy if one bites her, and she had a flea infestation when we first brought her home, so you can just imagine her skin was a mess. I started putting coconut oil directly on her skin and it worked so fast to condition her skin and fur. if it starts flaking or looking scaley, and within a couple of days her skin is smooth and her coat is shiny. Most recently she got super dry after I gave her a bath, and she started biting herself again. Two applications of coconut oil, and she looks great again. I also use it to brush her teeth and Hope's, too - althought I'm not as diligent as I should be in that department.

I have another jar of coconut oil for me - I use it to take off eye makeup and if my skin gets dry, it works better than any lotion I've ever used. I can't say enough about coconut oil!

Cathie thank you for this - Jaynie has very delicate skin and is very allergic to fleas. We were recently in a large hound group and she and Jeff came home with them. I would never know with Jeff - they are both on Program and he isn't bothered but my little girl was chewing herself up.

I've been rubbing her down with witchhazel and today everyone had a medicated shampoo bath + all bedding washed + rugs vacuumed. But I never thought of using coconut oil topically. Thank you for the idea!

Coconut oil is amazing stuff. I once had a yeast infection running through my entire body (no cause found) and I couldn't get rid of it with the OTC meds and Diflucan. I started putting 2 T in my coffee each morning and some you know where and the problem went away within a week. I also use it for a moisturizer and to deep condition my hair occasionally. I am going to switch and use it on Ruby's teeth. I hadn't thought about it before. Thanks !

Karen

Guest greybookends

I recently started adding coconut oil to Hueys food because of his skin, it has helped. I also started adding it to the other hounds because I fugured what could it hurt. Now I think I will keep it up and start putting it on their teeth to. Thanks!

On a side note, virgin coconut oil is one of the best oils to cook with for humans, as it has a high burn point and can be used to cook at temps up to 500 degrees, without oxidizing. I have found the best prices at Vitacost.com.

It is solid at room temp, melts when heated. It doesn't have to be refridgerated, has a really long shelf life and doesn't impart any strong flavors to what you are cooking.

I had never thought to give some to my hounds - they both get fish oil, but now I am considering rotating the fish oil with coconut oil.

Those who brush with coconut oil - do you also brush with vet tooth gel, or just with coconut oil? I am going to try this - I think mine will love it, and maybe brushing will be a little easier.

For those who give fish oil, Vitacost.com has a great price on salmon oil oil gel caps.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I switched Desi from fish oil to coconut oil several months ago due to suspected (never proven) sensitivity to fish.

The only down side I've found is that if he gets even a few drops more than about a teaspoon a day, it will give him soft poo.

Maybe a whole teaspoon is too much?

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Because I don't give the oil directly (for now anyway) I suspect mine are getting around 1 tsp per day (based on how I cook their eggs). Tolerance probably depends on the dog, and to some extent on the rate of introduction.

Parenthetically, for those giving fish oil, please check to ensure what you are giving has been certified free of heavy metals, dioxins and PCBs. A sad testament to how we have polluted the oceans.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thank you for this info; sounds like a multi-use product to add to my growing arsenal of natural products. For our occasional flea hitchhikers, instead of resorting to the Adams spray that was recommended, we tried a natural alternative; a few drops of eucalyptus, rosemary, and a tiny hint of Texas cedar essential oils in a spray bottle with water. It is working; also soothing to the skin where they'd been bitten. Smells really good, too! Keep the ideas coming, please!