Once A Day Feeding

Lately Ruby has been completely ignoring one meal and then devouring the other. Yesterday I decided I would measure a whole days worth of food into her bowl to see how much she is really getting in a day. I put it out in the morning and she ate nothing. I put it back out at dinner time and she ate the whole amount. This is dry kibble so no worries about spoiling. So at dinner she ate 3 1/2 cups at one time. Is this OK for her digestion and tummy ? I worry about her getting bloat. She didn't have any problems or gas last night and slept well. I may just go to one feeding a day since this has been an ongoing issue the last few months.

Karen

I have always fed my dogs twice a day, but about a year ago, Carly started not showing up for breakfast. It worried me at first, but she only seemed to be hungry in the evenings so I've been feeding Carly in the evening only ever since. She get's about 3 1/2 cups and eats it with enthusiasm. I've thought about switching all the dogs to once a day, but right now my galgo is in renal failure and it's a big challenge to get him to eat, so I'm offering him food 2 to 3 times a day to keep his weight up. And my chow hound, Princess, voted a strong "NO" to only one meal a day. :lol

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I don't want to free feed her because of potty schedules. Also, I feed her outside and the flies and bees start dive bombing. I put her food out this morning again and she didn't eat it. I just fed it to her tonight and she ate it all. Her tummy knows best so we are going to try this and see how it goes. Thanks again everyone.

Karen

Guest iMrCrumbs

So how much food is recommended for one a day feedings? Dillon is starting to not like his evening meals but devours his morning meals. He does get a good treat at night, which could be why he doesn't want to eat his evening meal. What is a good amount to feed in the mornings?

My Annie Bella gets 3 cups of food a day split into two meals: breakfast about 6:30 AM and supper about 4:30 PM. If you're switching from two meals a day to one, I'd combine the quantity of the two meals and put it out at the one-meal time. Some mornings my girl eats her 1.5 cup breakfast with gusto. Other mornings, she nibbles on and off for an hour. She always chows down her supper.

Ruby will only eat if no one is watching so we started feeding her outside under the patio. She is so silly, if we are outside working in the yard she will not take a bite. Not sure what that is all about because it just started about a year ago. This morning I gave her a chicken foot and will feed her 3 1/2 cups of kibble for diner. She is acting fine so guess she likes it.

Karen

Guest widowcali

I feed the whole gang once a day. The cats get fed in the am, since their food bowl is on the cat tree in my bedroom and I don't want to hear them eating when I am trying to sleep, and the dogs get fed in the pm when I get home from work.

Everyone gets treats periodically (one or two a day) and their tummies are fine.

Annie Bella doesn't mind being watched as long as I do it from the TV room. She won't even walk into the kitchen until I've put her bowl down, walked into the TV room and have sat down in a chair. Only then will she get off her bed and walk into the kitchen to eat.

Why does she do this? I have no idea. I adopted her in July 2011. For the first 7 months or so, she had no problem with me being in the kitchen when she ate. Then one day she did and it's been that way ever since. I tend to generalize and say that Greyhounds are neurotic (don't hit on me, folks, I'm mostly kidding). Certainly they are not like other breeds or mutts but that's because of of their upbringing -- which I don't consider a negative. The way they are raised is one of the reasons, IMO, that they are also gentle, sweet and calm (at least my girl is). My son often asks me if Annie Bella does anything normal. LOL

I have to agree with you Marla. Ruby didn't used to mind being watched either but has slowly became a bit more neurotic about several things. She won't lay down in her crate until I close BOTH bolts on the door no matter how long I try to ignore her. The minute they are both latched, she circles and is down for the night. She's so silly. My grandson was talking about her this weekend and told me she is the only dog he likes (he's 4) and I asked him why and he said "because she's not a real dog grandma, she's my Ruby". I honestly don't think I could ever put up with a real dog again...lol

Karen

And my chow hound, Princess, voted a strong "NO" to only one meal a day. :lol

I think Sammi would hurt me in my sleep if I even thought about feeding her once a day :blink::lol

She started out at 2 meals a day for years, Over the past year, she's started a third -smaller- meal a lunch time because she was starting to go bonkers a few hours before dinner. Tried with a large milk bone and that wasn't cutting it. Then I realized her missing kong held about 1/2 a cup of food. Gave her that amount for lunch. Solved the problem.

I know they feed once a day at the track, so they are used to that. However, I had a German Shepherd (over 110 lbs) who ate one huge meal a day. Back then I knew nothing about bloat, and the dangers of exercising before or after a big meal, etc. My GSD ended up dying from bloat at age 7, and I always wonder if that was a factor :(

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com