Chemo Brain Fog

Has anyone noticed this side effect in their greyhound that has gone through chemotherapy? The information below is from the cancer.org website and is referring to human adults, but the signs fit what I'm seeing in Bruiser.

Bruiser has always enjoyed going on walks, always plowing forward in anticipation of what was ahead. I was the one who had to hold him back. After taking him out after his first chemo treatment it was like he didn't know why we were out there. He just stood looking around like he didn't know what to do next. When I took the lead to coax him forward he would come, but had this confused look on his face likes he didn't know where he was. After a few days of this he let met know he wanted to go on car rides. There was no mental telepathy going on here that told me this. It was with leash on and me in tow as he walked to the car door and stood there waiting for me to open it. Anyway we've gone on these daily car rides ever since. Everyday after coming back from taking Nadir on his walk I am greeted by Bruiser who is wiggling all over in anticipation of this ride. It's only around the block, but oh how he loves that ride. Yesterday was different though, this following his 3rd chemo treatments. He was excited on my return and eagerly walked to the car, but then when I opened the door it was like a fog came over him and he couldn't remember why we had come out there. He just kept looking around, no amount of coaxing could get him in the car for that ride he had enjoyed so much :(.

Chemo Brain

This information is about adults with cancer.

For years cancer survivors have worried about, joked about, and been frustrated by the mental cloudiness they sometimes notice before, during, and after cancer treatment. Even though its exact cause isn’t always known, this mental fog is commonly called chemo brain. Patients have been aware of chemo brain for some time, but only recently have studies been done that could help to explain it. Doctors have known for years that radiation treatment to the brain can cause thinking and memory problems. Recently, they have found that chemo is linked to some of the same kinds of problems. (To read more about radiation and its effects, see Understanding Radiation Therapy: A Guide for Patients and Families.) Research shows that some cancer drugs can cause certain kinds of changes in the brain. But it also shows that chemo and radiation aren’t the only things that can cause thinking and memory problems in people with cancer.

I didn't notice this with Dude. He was always really tired after, and not very hungry, but he seemed pretty sharp up right until the end.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

we literally just started Nube on oral chemo this morning (1 pill every other day) so hopefully he doesn't get like this :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Chris, thank you for letting me know how Dude did regarding this.

Kim, please try not to worry too much. Bruiser is on i.v. doxorubicin and overall is doing really well and is enjoying life in general. He had his 3rd of 5 treatments Tuesday and up until then never got sick or lost his appetite. He didn't eat for the first time since starting chemo until this last dose. He ate this morning though so I'm hoping it was just temporary.

Oh, Judy....when I wrote about being so finely atuned to Lydia, I know you understood exactly what I was talking about. Sweet Bruiser....

I know of that chemo fog, in humans. My late friend Elaine experienced it. At best, she tended to overlook or forget about things she didn't deem important---like parking tickets! :devilangel ! She wasn't very responsible sometimes, but after she started chemo, it got much worse. She would misplace paperwork, forget meds, not put things away, etc. It was so sad and frustrating. It does sound like Bruiser is experiencing some of the same symptoms. But it also sounds like his good moments far outweigh the bad, and you are doing such a good job at maintaining that kind of excellent quality. You know, that confusion sounds so similar to what Lydia was doing the other day, so I can relate to how it makes you feel---even though she's not sick (she's acting fine today as well--please let Nadir know :D ) . I know it must have made you sad when he didn't want to get in the car, especially since those rides were giving him so much pleasure. I do think that the confusion will probably come and go, and he will be happy to go for rides again.

Please give him a bunch of hugs for us, and save a couple for Nadir and yourself!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I haven't noticed anything like that with Pinky...generally the dosage amounts are much higher in humans than they are for animals though, so that likely accounts for it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I'm glad Mojo never experienced this while going through chemo last winter. In fact, he had no unusual side effects at all, no loss of appetite, no lethargy, just weight loss and very loose poo. But I'm sure, like people, all animals are different. I hope Bruiser has better experiences with his treatements in the future.

Ivy had several IV chemo treatments at the vets. She never exhibited ANY side effects. I partly attribute this to Fresh Factors which I gave her 6 a day while she underwent treatment. I cannot tell you how FF work. I have only seen them do miraculous things in several dogs.