Teaching My Grey To Play With Toys

How can I encourage my grey to play with toys? He doesn't show any interest in sqeaky stuffies.He'll push the kibble toy around to get food and he'll chew on the knuckle bone that I got at the pet store but thats it.He looks bored. I try playing with him in the yard, try getting him to chase me but he just kind of follows me. He goes for walks with me but doesn't have any interest in looking around.He is 5 years old and I've had him since March.My other grey just passed away 3 weeks ago but he didn't really bother with him either.

Have you tried a ball or Frisbee outside? That was how I got my first two greyhounds to play. I spent a lot of time going and getting them because they would catch them and take off running with them. It took me a while to get them to bring them back to me that those were the first two toys my dogs played with. Some greyhounds never play with toys though and some it just takes a bit of time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Some react to the sound of a squeaker but most seem to react to the movement. Toss one past/over/above him and see what happens. Maybe a lure pole would entice him?

Or maybe he just needs another houndie to play with or chase :) They are so used to being with other greys for company that most of them seem to enjoy being around them best. The only time mine chase me is if I pretend to be sneaking around. Perhaps you could find other greys in your area for him to have a playdate with? Or maybe one day you could foster a hound for a bit ... it might help with the sadness that you both must be feeling. Grieving is tough on everyone in the household. So very sorry to hear of your loss.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Not all dogs like to play with toys.

Nixon has never, ever shown any interest in any sort of toys, balls, squeakies, frisbies. Nothing.

Ruby likes 'certain' squeakies, but doesn't go crazy.

Nigel loves ALL squeakies...he just came to us this way.

Some dogs play. Some just don't.

We have had several dogs of varying breeds over the years who never liked to play.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've tried throwing balls, sqeaky toys. stuffed toys ,etc. in the yard but got no response.Yes, I know getting another dog would help him since he has now developed severe separation anxiety since the other dog passed.He is now on prozac while we work with him on this new issue, which only makes him even more hohum.I didn't want to use it but he tried to break through the window one day and slid the sliding door open and escaped the next day while I was at work! I just happened to ask my dad who lives around the corner to check on him and he found him coming up the street from next door. They have 4 dogs they keep in their garage next door(which I hate!) and I think he went there for company.Luckily, he went back to my side door himself and waited for my dad to let him back in.I am still way too sad to think about getting another dog right now and I honestly don't think I will get anymore greyhounds when I do. I love them to death but this is my 3rd grey in a row to die before his time and I just can't do it anymore. Maybe if this one lives his full life I might try again but for now,no.I do have a friend with a grey who comes over but she's 9 and it's been too hot for her.When it's a little cooler she will come over.I am going to try a lure pole and see if he goes for it.However, he doesn't even chase the live rabbit when it's in the yard,so I'm not expecting much.

I think a lot of greys don't rough house and play like a lot of other breeds who are conditioned from puppies and live in homes. Sometimes though, if you can use the prey drive they have used on the track it can motivate them. Some people make a flirt pole which is a long rod or stick (you can even by a lunge whip for horses) and attach a toy to a string. It moves around the ground or "jumps" in the air like a real animal. You can condition a dog through training to retrieve, but it is pretty hard to teach playing if they just aren't into it. Sometimes seeing other dogs can help, and in some cases they just need time before they can figure it out.

The only thing my grey will ever "play" with is a bullystick. I will throw as far as I can and he goes after it, picks it up and starts doing zoomies with the stick in his mouth like there's no tomorrow. Then he'll throw himself onto the ground and devour it. I discovered this entirely by coincidence.

My grey seems happy enough even though he has zero interest in toys, balls, frisbees, lures, playing much with other greys or chasing me, so I wouldn't take your dog's disinterest in any of these things as a sign that he's bored. Yeah, I'm sure he's sad that he's buddy's gone, but if he had no interest in toys etc before his buddy died, I think that's just how he is wired and doesn't need them.

I'm so sorry you've lost 3 beloved dogs prematurely already. I hope this one will live a long long time!

Not all dogs like to play with toys.

Nixon has never, ever shown any interest in any sort of toys, balls, squeakies, frisbies. Nothing.

Ruby likes 'certain' squeakies, but doesn't go crazy.

Nigel loves ALL squeakies...he just came to us this way.

Some dogs play. Some just don't.

We have had several dogs of varying breeds over the years who never liked to play.

I've had George for five years, and he doesn't play.

I have provided him with everything he needs to do so, and he elects not to, so I just let him be who he is!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I thought Sailor was like this, but them I realized he will play in the evening and only the evening. And even then it's not all evenings. Yea, hes odd. He does like to rip up paper towels when I allow it. So when he does I added the command "tug" and can get him to "tug" on a toy every so often, but unless it's his idea, he doesn't enjoy it.

Desi doesn't "play" either. He'll do a little zoomie when it's time for walkabout or dinner, but has never ever shown any interest in any toy of any sort.

I just let him be what he is: a big couch potato kinda guy.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I wouldn't worry about not playing with toys. Some greys just don't. I would work contiue to work on the S/A though. If you could acclimate him out of that, and wean him off the Prozac - maybe - he might seem happier and more playful.

And I don't believe another dog is always the answer. Many greys can be "onlies", but it will take some work on your part to get him used to that. I hope you're reading all the good experience on this forum about that.

Thanks for all the info and advice.At least now I know that some greys are just like this and it doesn't mean they are unhappy.I feel that he will get past the separation anxiety with time.He is not a velcro dog and as long as somebody is at home, even if it's outside, he's O.K. now.The funny thing is, if I put him out in the yard,which is on the side of the house, not attached,he doesn't seem to mind being alone at all.He just lays down in the hole he dug out under a pine tree and sleeps there,even when I get in the car and drive away.I did this, drove around for about 5 minutes and came back up the driveway and he didn't even get up right away because I came back!I would never leave him outside while not at home but I just thought it was quirky that he seems quite content out there.

The only time mine chase me is if I pretend to be sneaking around.

My Capri doesn't play with toys, but this works for her. Nothing is more fun than when she catches a glimpse of my backside disappearing around a corner. (Yes, we play chase in the house! :lol ) I think a lifetime of being a cat person helps with this - understanding predatory behavior. Capri captured my heart the first day we were in the backyard and I turned around to see her looking at me with that hungry, predatory look in her eyes... I turned and ran and she was on me in a second. (Not literally a tackle, more of a tag)

To encourage a new greyhound to do this, you can try calling him and giving him yummy treats when he finds you. Also known as hide and seek, but you don't necessarily have to hide. He will quickly learn to come running when you call him, and then if he's clever he'll then try never to let you out of his sight. So then it becomes a challenge for both of you. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow