Had A Scary Night And Need Advice While I Wait For Vet To Call

Guest got2now

Did the vet take your dog off the metronidazole or discuss the possibility it may be contributing to the problem? What you describe are all potential adverse effects of this drug. Though GI upset may be a more common effect, metronidazole is also known for its potential to be neurotoxic. Neuropathy is one of the more common adverse neurological effects. Am not saying this what is happening to your dog but the possibility should be considered. If this hasn't been discussed I'd call the vet & talk about it ASAP. I am suggesting this because it happened to one of my own dogs & at least a couple others I know of.

As upsetting as it may be for you & your dog, if you have to get your daughter to school you may need to board your dog at the vet for a night or two.

Hoping the best for you pup.

I am supposed to drive my daughter back to college tomorrow (15 hours), help her move in her apt, and return on Monday. I don't think I can leave the dog though. I have no idea what to do. Can't take her with me because I'm flying back.

Could your vet board her while you're away? It would certainly help your state of mind if your vet could keep her. Moving is stressful enough without worrying about your furkid too.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Just checking in here too. Praying everything is ok.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest greygirls2

A test for tick born diseases should be done also....we went through something similar to this with my Son's grey back in the Spring and it turned out to be Anaplasmosis. After two doses in the round of Doxy they gave him he was back up on his feet and feeling much better. He's fine now with no lingering effects.

How frightening, for you and for her!

The not feeling well, then 3 meds, then this event (which sounded like a seizure to me) ... Maybe a drug reaction?

:unsure:

Can you leave her at the vets while you take your daughter to school? Do reach out for help! :bighug

It doesn't sound like typical vestibular disease to me, not with the stiffening of the legs you describe and the upward stretch of the neck. A reaction to drugs is far more likely, though I have to admit my first thought when I read the original post was poison. However, if metronidazole has the potential to cause neurological symptoms, then that would be the prime suspect. Talk to your vet - they are not immune to making mistakes and should be open to suggestions made in an enquiring and non-threatening way.

I really hope she'll be okay, bless her. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm being Sally Sunshine here and just hoping that the OP is exhausted and doesn't have access to the internet to inform us of what's going on. Does anyone on here know anything about the OP - where she lives, what group she got her dog from, an email address?

My Sally Sunshine is wearing thin as more time passes, though.

I'm being Sally Sunshine here and just hoping that the OP is exhausted and doesn't have access to the internet to inform us of what's going on. Does anyone on here know anything about the OP - where she lives, what group she got her dog from, an email address?

My Sally Sunshine is wearing thin as more time passes, though.

yes, I have been hoping she just wasn't able to update (originally said she was due back in town today) and everything is OK...

I'm new to this, just saw the thread and wanted to say, I hope everything has resolved itself and you and your hound are doing well.

Taunya and her Supreme Grace, Anna - Sharsanna (Kiowa Sweet Trey x Camden Coming), Surge (no races), Kelsos Yorktown (Trent Lee x Kelsos Spotswood), Galgo Espanol - Valentin. Forever waitin' on Red (Kiowa Mon Manny x Bella Ionic).

Guest patterpaws

I'm wondering about news too, but totally understand about not having internet access (since I was just MIA for the week myself). Hoping for the best and for an update soon. :clover :clover :clover:goodluck :goodluck