Jonelle Has A Lump-Biopsy Results-See Updated Post #1

I took Jonelle to the vet last Friday due to a skin lump/bump/lesion I found on the base of her tail. It is on top of the skin, not within the skin. The vet did a fine needle aspiration and said he saw some round cells and wanted to send it off to the lab for further evaluation. He called this a.m. to say there is no infection, and no definitive diagnosis, but that hemangiosarcoma is something that might be a possibility based on what the lab had to say. So, I am taking her in tomorrow morning to have it removed and we are going ahead and doing her dental even though she is a couple of months away from needing that.

I am trying not to worry at this point as we don't know what, if anything, we are dealing with. However, I decided to check her entire body over again to see if there are any other lumps I missed. I didn't find any. I decided to look at the lump on the base of her tail again and the lump has gone down in size by at least 50%---but likely more than that. Do you think that means anything? I'm hoping that is a good sign that it's not some type of cancer, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. :(

Any experience with something like this would be appreciated.

08/13/2012

The biopsy results are in. She had a circumanal gland adenoma. Benign! She is healing nicely and is already back to throwing fits and performing her circus stunts. Thanks all for asking about her! I'm so relieved. Now I can stop looking at pictures of hemangiosarcomas and trying to figure out if that's what she has.

Edited by greymomnc
greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Not sure about that round cell thing. Normal blood cells ARE round and cancer cells are irregular. So it sounds fine?

And to make a really weird suggestion... I had Summer into the vet for something and, at the same time, pointed out a lump on her side. The vet couldn't remove it right then and there so we decided to leave it for a couple of days until she had time. Well, it went away on its own. We now figure it was a bug bite! I know someone else who had a lump biopsied for $300 only to discover that it was also a bug bite!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I had a similar experience with one of mine who had a lump. I had a FNA done and it was sent off to the lab, and came back as inconclusive but possibly some sort of cancer - can't remember the exact terminology. I scheduled Sophie to have the lump removed, but a few days before the op the lump started to shrink. I took her in to see the vet who was due to remove it and she agreed it was best to wait a few days and see what happened. The lump continued to shrink and disappeared completely within a few days.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

IMO any lump that appears to be suspious should be removed. Round cells can indicate many types of tumors some benign and some not so benign--Mast Cells, Histiocytomas, Hemangiopericytomas...... Mast Cell Tumors can increase and decease in size but, they are usually very easy for a pathologist to identify--unless they didn't receive a good sample.

Keep us posted

Guest greytkidsmom

You can never really know what that lump is without a tissue sample. Kebo has had several lumps over his years - some were benign and went away (histiocytoma) and some have been cancer. His most recent lump was a very innocent looking lump that I had the vet check while he was asleep for a dental. The FNA showed abnormal cells. She went ahead and removed as much of it as she could and sent it for histopathology. It turned out to be cancer but at a very early stage. If we had watched and waited, it might have advanced to a point that treatment would be much more difficult. You are doing the right thing by taking it off now. Hopefully it is nothing but by getting it removed and evaluated, you can eliminate some worry and start any treatments early if necessary.

Hugs to your girl and to you.

Thanks all! The lump was removed Wednesday and we are awaiting results of the biopsy which should arrive early next week. Jonelle has to wear an E-Collar when I am not able to watch her. She is NOT happy about that.

Thanks for your good thoughts. I will update again when I know her test results.

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Here's hoping the lump is innocuous and Jonelle heals quickly!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Benign = thank goodness! Scritchies to your pretty girl :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.