Raw Beef Soup Bones Question

Are these ok for the dogs to eat as a treat like turkey necks? I bought a couple for Franny since they were available and I just want to check with all of the knowledgable people of GT.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Mom2Shiloh

They should be fine. I actually like it best when I can find non-weight bearing bones (lamb and sheep ribs come to mind). But a lot of people don't worry about that. My only caution would be to ask if they are long enough.. I don't like giving tiny ones because I'm afraid of their trying to swallow them... yes I have one dog who would do that (I also can't give her turkey necks because she is determined to swallow them whole instead of chewing!!)

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will speak up...

Guest apocalyp

Are beef knuckle bones considered weight bearing? Is this issue mainly for greys or can weight bearing be ok for some non-greys with generally better teeth? I've fed beef femures from petsmart to my husky in the past but recently found out raw bones are better and cheaper at the butcher, so got some knuckles and ribs .

My dog gets a marrow ("soup") bone every Saturday and Sunday. He loves them.

Susan, will you post a photo of the bones George gets? Tx.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

A lot of people will suggest to stay away from large bones as they can chip teeth. Having said that, I have always given them to my dogs and have never had a problem. I think some of the factors that might lead to problems are really aggressive chewers and also if your dog already has weakened teeth due to plaque/gingivitis. Many chipped teeth come from people wanting to clean teeth that are in bad condition and already weakened. Then they give a large weight bearing bone and the tooth cracks. Generally though, I think they are fine. I prefer the knuckle bones over the marrow bones because they have a lot of cartilage on the knuckle which is softer and great for chewing.

My dog gets a marrow ("soup") bone every Saturday and Sunday. He loves them.

I think this is what I bought. They are about 4-5 inches long, with the white marrow in the middle.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

We've done meaty knuckle bones with great success but I don't let them chew on the thicker weight bearing bones - at least I try not to let them. I'm concerned about slab fractures - they happen. The dogs are raw fed anyway, so they try and eat rib bones, which isn't good. We stick with turkey necks which seem to deliver the best of both worlds without the risk of a swallowed bone (rib) or a broken tooth (weight bearing bone).

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I get beef bones from a local butcher...he has bags of them in his freeze.

I feed mostly knuckes, which they can chew on for a long time.

We keep them in the freezer and the dogs are fine with them frozen.

I also get bags of chicken backs from the butcher...also kept in the freezer and fed frozen.

Mmmmm.

I don't like ribs...they splinter too easily.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Bakerhounds

I am looking for a turkey or chicken neck supplier in RI and would welcome any resources. TIA. Abigail and the gang of 3 in Warwick.

Guest GenetJen

Mine love turkey necks and their marrow bones! The bones keep them busy for much longer and we've never had any tooth issues. Fingers crossed...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest snoopycomehome

We give frozen beef marrow bones and they LOVE them. I can't give them turkey necks b/c Dragon always swallows some part of it and then has a growly tummy and no appetite for 2-3 days. :(