Responding To "no"

Guest shellbell

Guest shellbell

Hi! I am a newbie on here. My husband and I adopted our first greyhound almost two months ago. We are so in love! She's an awesome dog and has been so well behaved. Recently, we have decided to start some training, we tried to wait so that she could adjust. Our problem is that she doesn't really seem to respond to the word "No" at all, we try to say it firmly but she just wags her tail--lol. Its not a huge problem but she loves to walk over to the table and eat off your plate! When we say no she just looks and us and then continues eating. Same with jumping up on us, again not a huge problem but we would like to train her not to do these little things. Any suggestions?

Edited by shellbell

Guest Wasserbuffel

She just doesn't know what that word means.

It's actually best to train her to do what you want using different word cues. I've had my grey for two years, but she doesn't know the word "no", because I never use it.

To keep her from eating off your plates, teach her "leave it". Start by holding a treat in your hand. When she tries to take it, close your hand around it and say "leave it". Then reward her with another treat from a different hand (never reward "leave it" by giving the dog the item they were told to leave). Repeat this and offer different treats in different ways until she knows that "leave it" means she doesn't eat whatever is in front of her, and will often be given a reward. (there are probably videos online covering it in more detail).

I additionally use the word "mine" to keep her from begging. We do occasionally share our food with her, so she does ask, but when we say "mine" she immediately stops because she knows that there is absolutely no way I will share with her after I've said it.

To keep her from jumping, turn your backs and ignore her until all four feet are on the floor. Each time she jumps, she loses all your attention which isn't any fun for her. If staying on the floor is rewarding (with attention) while jumping is not, she'll stop doing it.

I never use "no" as a command. You have to make her understand "no jumping" and "no begging."

You need to use a command and then show her what you mean. It helps to start with basics like "go lie down" and "stay" too, so you have an alternative. For example, if you're eating, it's easier to teach her to go lie down on her bed while you eat than it is to convey to her that the food on the plate is yours.

She sounds like a sweetie!

First time I had food out for a little gathering, George just walked right up to the bowl of chips and started chomping away. He figured it was food, he could reach it, why not eat it? I laughed and laughed. Then I put the bowl where he couldn't reach it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If you want a verbal stop command, many respond to a non-word sound better - like a gutteral UHH-UHH, or AHH, or other sharp syllables.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

And if she's reallllll houndy, she'll just look at you and eat off your plate :lol :lol

Boy, did I have adjustments to make going from working breeds to hounds......

They will l earn, it takes patience :) With food, remember all the food they have ever seen was prepared for them. It's a concept many forget or don't know.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Wasserbuffel

Burpdog hit it right on the head, these dogs have no concept that food they see is not food they get to eat. Never in their lives have they met with food that wasn't for them.

Congrats on your new hound!

You've been given lots of helpful hints!

We use 'OFF' and 'Get Back', as well as a stern 'Hey!'.

'Wait' or 'Stay' are other words that are important they know ...and understand.

Have you considered taking her to some obedience classes?

Not only will they help you deal with the naughty behaviour, but classes and training will help strengthen your bond with your new girl.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I never use "No" either - I've got a variety of noises I use for my boy. Most of them sound a lot like "Hey" or "Ehhh" - it's not so much what you say as how you say it. Pick one thing that will always mean "Leave it" (whether it's the words or a noise) and use that. What I did for my boy was teaching him that the kitchen is entirely off limits. It didn't take too long for him to catch on - he started to head in, so I snapped my fingers and pointed behind him while stepping towards him. We did this a couple times and he figured it out. You could do something similar, or if you don't mind her being in the kitchen, you can teach her not to come near the table.

Like others have said, though, teaching the basics of "leave it" will probably be your best bet.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Greyhounds do understand pack mentality. What would a dominant dog to protect its food from another? If Hester tries to enter the kitchen I simply face him down and walk toward him. He always backs up and eventually returns to his bed. We also make him wait a second or two once his food is in front of him. Whether or not these actions are connected to his behaviour around our food I can't be certain. But I can tell you he has never dared approach any of us while we are eating nor has he touched food that was not his even when it was left on the table or the kitchen counter.

FWIW we have never used the word no.

Edited by KickReturn

I second a training class for bonding. I also would read a few positive training books or general dog books. My two favorites:

Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller (also one of the best trainers in the country who trains others http://www.peaceablepaws.com/index.php)

Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest DaveMidlo

I was able to train "down" fairly quickly, and I have my hound Cooper go into a down position when we begin eating. (also when I'm making dinner and feeding him) Last night he spent the whole time on his pad just outside the kitchen while I was making dinner. He'll get up sometime, but he's very easily coaxed to get back on his pad. Of course, I'm rewarding "stay" as I do that, and he usually gets a treat, not from the table but in his bowl, when he's done well.

I've only had him a couple months, but it's working. Hope this helps.

Dave

Also, I rarely use "No". <typically I catch myself doing it, user error> Occasionally do the "Ah Ah" alarm when I want to stop behavior, I guess that's the same thing as "No", but sometimes like when they're tempted by your yummy cheeseburger you just need to distract them.

Edited by DaveMidlo

We use "no." Bootsy knows exactly what it means and does what he wants anyway. I love when he looks at me, looks at the food, and I can see in his eyes the moment that he decides "ah, F it. I'll take the punishment because this tastes good." :lol

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

She just doesn't know what that word means.

It's actually best to train her to do what you want using different word cues. I've had my grey for two years, but she doesn't know the word "no", because I never use it.

To keep her from eating off your plates, teach her "leave it". Start by holding a treat in your hand. When she tries to take it, close your hand around it and say "leave it". Then reward her with another treat from a different hand (never reward "leave it" by giving the dog the item they were told to leave). Repeat this and offer different treats in different ways until she knows that "leave it" means she doesn't eat whatever is in front of her, and will often be given a reward. (there are probably videos online covering it in more detail).

I additionally use the word "mine" to keep her from begging. We do occasionally share our food with her, so she does ask, but when we say "mine" she immediately stops because she knows that there is absolutely no way I will share with her after I've said it.

To keep her from jumping, turn your backs and ignore her until all four feet are on the floor. Each time she jumps, she loses all your attention which isn't any fun for her. If staying on the floor is rewarding (with attention) while jumping is not, she'll stop doing it.

I second a training class for bonding. I also would read a few positive training books or general dog books. My two favorites:

Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller (also one of the best trainers in the country who trains others http://www.peaceablepaws.com/index.php)

Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

:nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GreytPlains

It might help to think of redirecting and rewarding her rather than correcting her. The sharp 'uh-uh' or other noise that gets her attention may work. Use it to momentarily distract her from whatever she is doing that she should not. Then praise her for ceasing the undesirable behavior. This may help get the point across.

And yes! Leave it is a great phrase to teach her!