Need Low Fat Kibble And Treat Suggestions-Update 6/29

I've had Passion on the healthy weight Kirkland food for a few years after she had pancreatitus. She hasn't wanted to eat it lately and since I'm almost out, thought I'd switch food. I've noticed she tends to try to eat more poop when she's fed this kibble. She can't eat the poop in the yard but will poop in the house and then eat it (stinker!!).

She needs low fat kibble and I also need low fat treats. Her LIPA was elevated yesterday (1800) so I need to get her some better treats.

Suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

-----------------------------------

UPDATE 6/29/12

Saw the vet today and she suggested that she get kibble that is turkey or whitefish based.

suggestions?

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Wow. 15% is not exactly low fat in my book. Plain 'ole green bag Iams is only 14%.

I wouldn't give Poodle get something 15% fat no matter how many stars it had, but that's just me. The NB above is 8% as is Purina One weight management which is what Buddy eats.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Beth has done so wonderfully on Prescription I/D since a pancreatitis scare (9% fat and not super low protein like a lot of "light" foods -- 22% protein). It's low-residue so very little poop. Expensive though and of course has to be gotten from the vet. Sometimes I think of trying another food but I haven't wanted to mess with such great results -- she has a silky coat, no digestive issues, etc.

Many brands of commercial dog biscuits are low fat, just look in the store. Beth has done well on the Natural Balance limited ingredient treats, and is currently enjoying Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free biscuits (6% fat).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Wellness Core makes a special low fat food that is excellent.As for treats, I had to find some very low fat and limited ingred. for Lenny and found them though PreenPets

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest WhiteWave

California Natural makes several low fat foods also heard good things about Verus. For treats why don't you get a small bag of a different low calorie food to use for treats.

Edited by WhiteWave

Solid Gold Holistique Blendz

Dry food formula made with Oatmeal, Barley, Ocean Fish, and Potatoes. Ideal for less active adult or senior dogs, to maintain total health. Perfect for those dogs who require less protein and fat.

Protein, Min 18%

Fat, Min 6%

Fiber, Max 4%

Moisture, Max 10%

Calories per cup, 340

Precise Holistic

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate), Salmon Meal, Citrus Fiber, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Rice Bran, Natural Flavor, Fat Product (natural source of omega-3 DHA from algae), Lecithin, Menhaden Fish Oil, Chicken Cartilage (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Dried Kelp, Peas, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, etc.

Crude Protein – 25.00% (min); Crude Fat – 10.00% (min); Crude Fiber – 4.50% (max); Moisture – 10.00% (max); Calcium (Ca) – 1.20% (min); Phosphorus (P) – 0.80% (min); Omega-6 Fatty Acids – 2.50% (min)*; Omega-3 Fatty Acids – 0.60% (min)*; DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) – 0.05% (min)*; Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) – 25 mg/lb (min)*; Glucosamine – 400 mg/kg*; Chondroitin Sulfate – 275 mg/kg*.

Fromm's makes two foods with 11% fat

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Wellness Core makes a special low fat food that is excellent.As for treats, I had to find some very low fat and limited ingred. for Lenny and found them though PreenPets

Agreed. I have Rickie (14 year old whippet who had a pancreatitis episode way back) on Wellness Core Reduced Fat. As a bonus, it's also relatively low in phosphorus.

For treats I give them (in no particular order):

- Fruitables

- Dehydrated lung (in small pieces)

- Burpdog biscuits, broken up

I'm feeding Wellness Core to 3 and have Lenny on the Precise Sensicare because of his Colitis. A GT'er gave me a tip about buying from Wag.com and they are actually cheaper than Petsmart and free shipping

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Dandi is on an ultra-low hypoallergenic prescription kibble (Purina HA) for his lymphangiectasia, but I'd never use it unless I had no choice -- and I have no choice.

For treats, I'm a yam fan. Sam's Yams are great, or you can make yam chews yourself if you have a dehydrator. Non-fat, low calorie and 100% yam.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

The Verus I suggested before is fish based and 11 % fathttp://www.veruspetfoods.com/products/for-dogs/canine-bags/verus-advanced-opticoat-diet-menhaden-fish-meal-and-potato-formula-dry-dog-food.html petflow.com sells it

• Menhaden Fish Meal, Potato, Ground Barley, Ground Oats, Beet Pulp, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Salt, Parsley, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Flaxseed Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
  • Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (minimum) 22.00%
    Moisture (maximum) 10.00%
    Crude Fat (minimum) 11.00%
    Crude Fiber (maximum) 5.00%

Now Grain Free Senior is Turkey based and 10 % fat http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/now-fresh/grain-free-senior wag.com sells it. I'm actually considering it for my senior who needs to loose weight, but it is a bit pricey.

De-boned turkey, potato flour, apples, pea fibre, peas, potatoes, tomato, sundried alfalfa, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavour, salmon, de-boned duck, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), whole dried egg, flaxseed, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papayas, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dried kelp, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate , ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, selenium yeast), taurine, DL-methionine, L-lysine, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried chicory root, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, yeast extract, yucca schidigera extract, chondroitin sulphate, marigold, L-carnitine, dried rosemary.

Crude protein (min) 24% Crude fat (min) 10% Crude fibre (max) 6% Moisture (max) 10% Phosphorus (min) 0.7% *Glucosamine 400 mg/kg *Chondroitin Sulfate 100 mg/kg *L-Carnitine 100 mg/kg *Taurine 600 mg/kg *Omega 6 (min) 2.4% *Omega 3 (min) 0.48%

Calorie Content: ME = 3252 kcal/kg or 341 kcal/cup