Microchips

Guest badderh

Guest badderh

I've been debating in my head for a long time on weather to get Rocky micro chipped or not. I've looked into it and found articles that say that microchips can cause cancer or tumors in your pet that can lead to death :omg ,Scary! But then again there are lots of stories where the dog is perfectly fine after micro chipping. So I wanted to see what everyone here on GT thinks about Micro-chipping and see if anyone could tell me about their experiences with Micro-chipping their Grey.

Guest LittleGreys

Mine are all microchipped with no problems. I am a vet tech, and have been in the same office for 17 years, we have never seen a problem from microchipping.

Had lots of them microchipped with no problems. Cash was a bleeder greyhound too and it didn't cause any problems whatsoever either. I did read on here though about some group somewhere that quit doing it because it had resulted in the death of one hound and excessive bleeding in a few others. Exactly how I don't know...but you know how greyhounds are. I have heard about the cancer risk but to me there is a much greater likelihood of them getting away from perhaps a natural disaster etc. and dogs get transported so far so fast these days I believe the chip is the best shot at getting them returned if the unforseen happens and they get gone. So to me I weighed the health risk with the added security and have come to the conclusion that the added security far outweighs the health risk.

I'd rather have the microchip and the peace of mind that it gives me knowing that there is one more way for Olivia to be returned to me should she somehow get loose. These dogs are fast and single-minded once they are in pursuit. I have heard the good stories about how microchipping returned a pet to its owner, but never a story about a dog dying from cancer because of the microchip. Even if there is a chance it could cause cancer, I imagine it is quite small. To me, the pros outweigh the cons.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest twoskinnydogs

I know of hundreds who have been chipped and had no problems. Thankfully I have never had to rely on any but all my hounds are and have been chipped. Only advsie is to research the device and see if a universal reader can detect them......I know there are some devices which require a special reader.

i have a friend who is a corgi/border collie breeder. she has been chipping her dogs forever! every pup in every litter...NO PROBLEMS W/ CANCER! mine are chipped, the track dogs didn't flinch when chipped, my opps puppy made a squeek, but he's a big wuzz. go for it, and remember that you do not have to pay a yearly fee to keep their records on file. homeaway has a newish program w/ accident insurance, that costs. they automatically give you the first year free then try to bill you after that. i even have our rescue group's # on the contact list and update pics as well. all dogs are scanned when they go into a pound and the staff is pretty careful to check and see if the chip migrated.

Four of the five in my home are chipped. One bled & developed a bit of a temporary lump but he is also the one covered in scars from seemingly minor scrapes so I blame his skin. Didn't bother him & lump went away. Have had prior dogs microchipped without incident. The needle is huge & looks horrible but only one let out a yip, The rest acted like nothing was happening. Microchipping gets my vote.

I've microchipped four greyhounds. Two have died from things totally unrelated to their chips. Sam has been living with his chip for nine-and-a-half years (ten in October). Periodically, his vet scans to make sure the chip hasn't migrated. It's right where it's supposed to be.

Mine all get chipped at their first "well-doggie" vet visit, in the first week they're with me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Only one of mine ever let out a yell with the microchipping. But Silver screamed for her last blood draw (for heartworm testing)--before the tech even touched her--so her cries have a bit of cried-wolf about them. I'll grant that it may hurt, but I don't think it hurts as much as some drama queens let on. Yes, it's a big needle, but so was the knitting needle I accidentally stabbed myself with once; I felt "impact" more than I felt actual "pain" on that one.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Four out of five of mine have been chipped, no problem. Not only is it important if they ever get lost, but can help you in a legal battle if someone ever tried to claim your dog as their own.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I agree with microchipping Greyhounds. I've been having my animals chipped for decades without any problems (including excessive bleeders). I started the microchipping program for our Greyhound group (and other GH groups). No hounds that I've seen have had any problems from a microchip. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've yet to run across a problem. I have seen MANY, MANY Greyhounds get loose.

All of my dogs and cats are microchipped. While I'll never say that any procedure is completely risk free, I really don't believe the cancer risk is a significant concern. There are hundreds of thousands of dogs that are microchipped. There are less than a handful of documented cases where the microchip was found within a tumor and suspected to be the cause. Some of those cases may even be coincidental, as tumors can develop anywhere on the body.

Our local animal shelter and the all breed rescue I work with microchip all pets that are adopted out through their facilities. So there are a large number of microchipped pets in my area. In 6 years working here as a vet, I haven't seen any cancers at a microchip site.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg