Kong - My Friend's French Mastiff

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

My friend Yvette came home from a family party Saturday night to find her 6 year old French Mastiff "Kong" was not acting right. Before she could put a finger on the behavior or decide what to do - e-vet, etc., he dropped dead. They believe it was a heart attack and that he was waiting for them to come home before he passed. He wasn't a mastiff in the traditional term, meaning he wasn't a HUGE giant dog: French mastiffs are apparently smaller dogs, with large mastiff-type heads and stocky bodies, but they aren't over-sized like some of the other mastiffs. Kong weighed about 95 pounds, so while he was big, he wasn't giant: 6 years old was young for him to pass.

Yvette was NOT a dog person, and Kong was her husband's dog from the start, but she really came to love him and the bond they formed was funny to watch. She came to see us at a couple M&Gs and Kong was SO obedient. I'd offer him a cookie and he would look at her before he'd take it: if she said it was ok, then he would very gently take it from me, but often would put it down gently on the floor and not eat it. If she shook her head, he'd look away embarrased and wouldn't take it from me. She let him out first thing every morning and when she got home from work. He'd go out and do his stuff, but when he came in, he obiediently waited for her to wipe his feet - every single time. Yvette is a meticulous housekeeper and Kong knew he had to do his part to not track any dirt or grass into the house. When kids came over to play with her daughter, Yvette would have a conversation with Kong about his behavior with the girls - and his behavior was stellar. He was so gentle and obedient and I never, ever heard him bark.

He was a funny little short man in a dog suit, with a huge underbite. I'm sorry he left so soon.

poor baby :( :( I"m so sorry :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

He must have been a wonderful companion. My condolences to all who loved him. Godspeed Kong.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

What a great dog he must've been... Look how much you think of him! My sympathies to you all. He did leave too soon. :f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

He sounds like a treasure and then some. I'm so sorry he had to leave.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.